A day at the arena: Whats known so far.

Moderator: Global Moderators

A day at the arena: Whats known so far.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:14 pm

Sofia
First of all: No consumeables nor engineering allowed in the arena matches! Only what your class has to offer on spells & skills (& trinkets :P)

You must be level 70 to compete in ranked arena games and obtain the arena rewards. Any arena games played before level 70 or while not on a team will put you into a skirmish game that's just for fun and has no associated ratings or rewards.
An arena team is like a guild? You have to get a charter and everything and you're not allowed to play with other people?
Just like a guild you can leave at any time and join a different one or create your own.
But [if you leave a team] will that reset your ranking?
The team is ranked, not the individual. If you leave you are potentially forfeiting your rewards.
Clarified: You would be forfeiting any potential future arena points by leaving. You don't lose access to any rewards, and you don't lose the arena points your character has gained by leaving a team.
So if you join a high ranked team do you immediately get access to the top arena awards?
If you contribute to their wins, sure but you won't get something just for joining. What happens is that each week each team member earns arena points based on the team rating and their contribution. If you jump into a team you don't automatically get points as you haven't contributed anything. There is no "this rating has access to these rewards", the rewards are priced and can be purchased using arena points similar to currency.
Does this mean that a rank 1 person, if they join a rank 10 guild, they will gain ranking FASTER than other people? because their guild will have already a higher ranking and this person is just catching up to them? i.e 1 week hes rank 1, the next week hes rank 10 cause he participated in 30% of the guilds games that week and thats the rank his new guild made?
I think you're comparing the current honor ranking system with the arena team rating system a bit too much. The team as a whole gains a rating, it isn't dependent upon who is in the team, where they were before or other factors. You gain arena points, and thus rewards, based on your teams rating. If you can get into the top end arena teams, contribute to continued wins, then you will reap the benefits. Keep in mind that you're going to have to be pulling your weight to stay at the top and earn those rewards.
A better question is who controls the team.
There is a team captain, similar to a guild leader who has control over certain aspectes of the team, such as who is in it.
As for the 30% rule: if some in the grp are addicted and play non-stop, even though it doesnt give good points, are the rest at risk of earning 0 points since even 30% is too much?
I'm not sure how they would be playing without the rest of the team. The benchwarmers are really going to usually be friends that have no interest in the arena system, but will jump in if you need them to. Any one interested in actually competing in the arena is likely to be on a roster as a main player.
This is going to be a tough change... there are MANY players who dont have a friends list, dont do well in guilds with officers, mandatory raids/specs, etc... many of them have gotten by thru pvping every day, solo queueing for BGs
There's still going to be an honor system and new rewards there for anyone that doesn't want to participate in an arena team. I suspect most players interested in PvP at all will participate in both.
wow, that sucks a LOT for the casual player who only plays 2-3 nights per week.
Find other players with your same schedule or agree to only play your arena games those particular nights. I would imagine that three nights a week would be more than enough to get in your required 10 games a week keeping in mind that these are small team games that are generally going to last a few minutes.
Can you answer why we need X starters and X benches minimum to form an XvX charter? I'd really prefer to just have 5 people on my 5v5 team and only play with them.
You don't need any benchwarmers to start a team, but they're there should you feel you need them at any point. The benchwarmer spots are there so you don't have to kick out a team member just to get in your last game for the week, or whatever the need may be.
How does that work. i have to create a group with 3 other ppl just to queue up for the 2v2.
Thats just messed up. plz tell me i got it wrong.
If you don't have a team charter to gain ranking in the Arena, you can still play unrated games.

Joining the Arena solo, without being in an Arena team, will simply queue you into the preferred Arena match. However, these are 'exhibition' matches and do not award Arena points.
Is the new Arena System going to be a grind?
Think of it this way, there really isn't a 'grind' to be attributed to Arenas because you can only do so many matches at a time. Matches can be fairly short or fairly long depending on the skill of the participants.

Either way though, you won't be in the Arenas for hours on end. It's not possible to do in a ladder system. You'll go in, you'll play your match, you'll win or lose and you'll go on to the next match. It's a straight on competition to see who can make it to the top of the ladder so the only 'grind' feeling you could have is if you really don't care about the ladder or making it to the top.

If you play around in the non-ranked Arena, then it's just for fun and there's no 'grind' associated with it unless you are there practicing with your team and your team captain is a slave-driver bent on world domination. :)
So I have a quick question about the new honor system. Someone (blue that is) mentioned that you loot "honor" now and use that to purchase weapons; instead of money or whatever.
Do you actually have to 'loot' the honor, or will it continue to be shared with your group and just given to you automatically?
No you won't have to actually loot it. You will get it the same as now it will just be on a slightly different scale now that you will be able to 'spend' it on items.
(not sure where the question was for this but here it is anyway)
There are only so many matches that can be played at a time. It's all based on what the ladder can allow for the match-ups. ( I can't recall the exact number right now off the top of my head but I'll try to find that for people later.) No one team should be able to ratchet up the matches they can play vs other teams.

There are no 1v1 matches being planned.
Yes, you will need to have preset teams. A team of 2 will need 2 regulars and 2 alternates to create a team. The same will be for 4, 4 regulars and 4 alternates etc. There will be no PUGS in the Arena since there is a ladder system in place.
(Comment on PVP rewards)
You're correct except there will be new rewards up to level 70 available from the honor system. The arena will supply only level 70 gear, and be on-par with high end dungeon items but obviously geared towards PvP.

We're definitely continuing to support and develop the battleground system and offering rewards so that players can still strive for rewards through them. Of course the honor system isn't specific to battlegrounds and outdoor PvP will still play a role in gaining honor points.
Can I join a 2v2 team a 3v3 team and a 5v5 team? If not... i think you are building a system that Ill only play about an hour a week... which seems like a waste of time.
You can join one team of each size, meaning you can be on a roster for all three team sizes if you so choose. Each team is created using a separate roster, and each team is rated on a separate rating board.
It's true you may only play ranked games for each of those teams for an hour a week if you can knock out all 10 games in that amount of time, but think about the non-ranked games and the time you may be investing on practicing and getting your strategies and teamwork down.
I'm not sure how you can say it's a waste of time when there are rewards involved; rewards that are matching top-end PvE rewards.
Hmm, now im a bit confused. So lets say I want to make a team for the arena. Do I HAVE to pick the bracket I want my team to play in? That is, can I have a 10 man team and still do the 2v2, the 3v3, and so on?
You have to choose the bracket you want the team you're creating to play in. So you'll pick a roster, let's say 3v3, and sign up the required two people (aside from yourself) to make the team.
To clarify some conflicting information, you will only need the minimum number of players to fill out a team size to create the team. Meaning you only need 2 players to create a 2v2 team, 3 players to create a 3v3 team, and 5 players to create a 5v5 team. The benchwarmer spots are optional at all times.
I have a question regarding the ranking and system. What % of the ladder will have access to the level 70 awards? Let's say 1 team is 7-3 for 4 weeks straight but there is many teams 9-1 8-2 etc.. Does the 7-3 team eventually accumulate enough points to buy the same items that the top team does? If it's a no, how do you think the lower people will ever compete with the higher tiered players with the big gear? Sure it may take the lower teams a little bit longer to get the gear that the top people have, but i think that's fair and makes the overall competition better.
Everyone has access to the rewards, what will differentiate teams is how quickly they can acquire arena points. Let's say you're in the middle somewhere; you're still going to get arena points and save them until you can purchase something. Some teams may get the rewards slower, some faster. There's definitely a goal for everyone to shoot for, some may just take a bit longer than others.
Is it possible to play double, triple or five time the same class?
Yes.

GG - queueing up against 5 shadowpriests. Timed fears, imba focus fire, 5x vamp embrace for everyone & say bye bye to every single buff. :blank:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:57 pm

Plovske
:eek2:
bye bye Solo PvP?
and will you actualy be able to get points outside of the arena?
enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:14 pm

Sofia
Yeah plov, good question. Think of the honor points you get now, as currency in bc to buy the rewards. Though different points for different rewards.

You need arena points to get the gladiator sets & weapons. --> which are on par with the high end pve ilvl. Neat stuff!
Honor from BGs & world pvp to buy some equivalent to the "rank" gear we know today. --> No idea how good they will work out to be, yet.
And theres always the generic *cough* repgrind in BGs. --> Unless they add another BG, you can luckily just buy the ugrade at lv70, i guess. Unless your not exalted with either of AB, AV, WSG yet :P

Though, i think of the arena more as a wc3 ladder style gameplay... rather than a honor grind for reward. The requirements to stay competitive are far more casual friendly aswell.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:24 pm

Dodotorpedo
Kind of like a Ladder system, can't wait to try it out, arena battles should be fun. All the running after flags and nodes gets kind of tiring.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:40 pm

Sofia
Short legs? :p

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:14 am

Brittfire
its not "running after" nodes, its "poking"* nodes, isnt that right sofia :P

*"poking" is that act of annoying a flag point to "distract" the horde, sometimes leads to the compleatly "unintentional" 5 noding of the map.....
TBC update
tomato ketchup will be a required reagent for feign death and rogues can apply huntersmark with a crayon!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:37 pm

Sofia
/poke ;D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:25 am

Azula
I tend to massage the node into blossoming in pleasure! :nervous:

I've said too much..... :sweat:
Azula - Night Elf Hunter Lvl 60 - Outland
Ariake - Human Mage Lvl 60 - Outland
Jingles - Dwarf Warrior Lvl 60 - Outland
Taera - Human Rogue Lvl 60 - Outland
Akikio - Caldari Destroyer Pilot - Eve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:58 pm

Caspae
There will be possible solo PvP , Arena pvp isnt all theres to it. There are a few (or just one, unsure about it atm) Neutral cities , that one faction can control while the other one is besieging it .. World Pvp like it's ment, Word goes the testers are having the time of their life :thumb:

Return to “=EU= World of Warcraft- Outland”