IRC <> AO Bot Relay LIVE!!

The world of Rubi-Ka awaits!

Moderator: Global Moderators

IRC <> AO Bot Relay LIVE!!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:26 am

SSX-Killjoy
To all AO players, we have managed to get the org bot to handle IRC relaying and it is communicating with our SSX channel on the mgo server. Just be aware that what you say in org chat will be reproduced on the IRC channel.

But now you can be in game and still chat with all your friends, who may not be AO players. Enjoy this new found power..

Next: Linking the forums... This may not be as much fun.. :smack:
================================
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:42 am

Raa
it ping time out-ed.
Kono sekai ga kuchihatetemo. Zutto.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:20 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I seem to have a habit of disagreeing with things lately :blank: But what the hey.

I really dont like the idea of this, for several reasons.
Firstly, its confusing to even those of us who frequent the channel. Ignoring my initial confusion as to what was happening, since I didnt know about the bot, look at the name issue. I dont, and Im sure others agree, want to have to learn a new name for every AO player, get used to them using that, and have the same happen again whenever someone rolls a new alt. Anyone who knows me in NC2 will know I have a hard time remembering who's alts are who as it is, and even now I dont know who a couple of alts are. I dont fancy having to go through this process in IRC too.
Secondly, it will drastically increase the amount of 'spam' in IRC (meaning of course what I personally consider spam). It would mean that I would have to start ignoring IRC when playing NC2 (I currently alt tab a lot so that I can keep up with conversations, check if I'm wanted, etc). However alt tabbing every few seconds/minutes just isnt feasible when you're trying to play an MMO, and constantly alt tabbing just to find things like this:
[16:54] <[SSX]Bot[AO]> [AO] Creuset: want the div i have?
[16:54] <[SSX]Bot[AO]> [AO] Creuset: i'm in rome green general now
[16:56] <[SSX]Bot[AO]> [AO] Alexinas: OMW
[16:58] <[SSX]Bot[AO]> [AO] Alexinas: BTW buy some night goggles when you can use them - Makes the ToTW outside a lot more vivid :D
(i.e. line after line of things that are completely irrelevant to a significant proportion of the channel that dont play AO) will swiftly become considerably annoying.

Yes, I am certainly aware that the above issues can be solved with simply adding the bot to your ignore list, which I have done. But even with that done there is the issue of people in IRC (possibly AO members who arent currently logged into the game) chatting about things being said on the ingame AO chat, and then I'm only hearing one side to a conversation, which swiftly becomes just as annoying.

Is it not possible to give the AO group their own channel for this bot that non-AO players can join if they wish to? To me that would certainly be a better idea.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:57 pm

esd
Is it not possible to give the AO group their own channel for this bot that non-AO players can join if they wish to? To me that would certainly be a better idea.
I agree actually. Maybe #ssx-ao would be a better place for the bot?
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:35 pm

BlackDove
There's a proper discussion in Members about this now. No reason to keep two open.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:50 pm

esd
This discussion isn't about the placement of the bot, it's about the fact that it's up and how to get the most out of it, so we should leave it open. Just direct all "where to put it" discussion to the member's forum please :)
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:40 pm

BlackDove
True, my bad.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:53 pm

SSX-Killjoy
Bot is sitting in #SSX-AO channel now.. Please update your IRC clients if you want to communicate with in game players.
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.

Return to “Anarchy Online”