Routers....

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Routers....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:27 pm

NF
Arbiter
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about wireless routers... I am looking to upgrade my home network from cables to wireless and I am looking to run it all through the a router and from there to the internet so the computers can all access the internet independantly (rather than via another computer)

Have seen this router and was wondering whether it will work or whether I would need to buy one with modem built in, or can I just plug in my existing ADSL modem into the router and access the net that way...?

Any advice would be appreciated.
NF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:37 pm

Inquisitor
Not used that one.

I use a Linksys A/B/G router, it connects directly to my cable modem's cat5 link.

If you have a piece of CAT 5 coming from your modem, that looks like all you need.
No signature

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:53 pm

LIGHTNING
I'm sure it'll work, since most of the new routers work the way you described. And most routers are built for broadband anyway.

I have used the Hawkking 802.1g Wireless Firewwall Router (Can't find the model name) part of the Hi-Speed 54g Series.

Currently using a D-Link Xtreme G Wireles Router
I always believed that the core of what made SSC great in the past, is here in the present and future of the SSX.
- LIGHTNING (September 22, 2005)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:36 pm

NF
Arbiter
My modem connects through a USB cable so assuming I would need to either invest in one capable of using network cables or get a router with built in modem..

Thanx for clearing that up for me :)
NF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:09 am

Thunderbird
There are also software routers available (I imagine the modem acts like a network card to the system).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:35 pm

SSX-Andy
Been using a d-link router for some time and very happy with it.

Have 2 computers hooked up to the wireless and it works like a charm.

There is no problem connecting the adsl modem directly to the router. It has a line in for the WAN and it doesnt really matter where that signal comes from. Unfortunately for you, most (all) routers uses CAT5 cables, so you'll need to find something besides USB to connect the modem to the router. Not sure if there exists USBtoCAT5 connectors.

I would stay away from the routers with built-in modems. My experience is that built-in stuff generally are worse than stand-alone stuff. That, and the fact that I am on my 4th modem this year... they seem to fail constantly, but maybe thats just my provider, they keep sending new ones for free each time the old one breaks. Even have a spare one atm.

Return to “General Discussions”