CD-ROM drive issues

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

CD-ROM drive issues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:37 pm

Thunderbird
I've been having some issues with my CD-ROM drives under Win2K for awhile now. The system simply will not see any of the drives (including the virtual one with Alcohol 120%). This is an OS problem, as the BIOS sees the drives fine, and I can use them under Linux. Device Manager tells me that it can't load the driver for the device. I attempted to copy some files from another Win2K system (with a working CD-ROM drive), but that did nothing. Tried a repair, but that messed a few things up even more without fixing the original problem.

Any ideas? The driver files that are shown in Device Manager are: cdrom.sys, redbook.sys, and storprop.dll. The other Win2K machine with a working drive shows only cdrom.sys.

Reinstalling the OS isn't an option at this point, so please do not suggest it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:05 am

SSX-Killjoy
You could try a check of the registry information to see if it has borked your drivers. One such tool can be found here http://www.liutilities.com/products/cam ... bplib/801/ The only problem is I don't know if it checks drivers registry information in the freeware version. I think it does.. but.. anyways.. something to try..
================================
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.
================================

Return to “General Discussions”