Sony lay down the law

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Sony lay down the law

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:39 am

esd
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6076354.stm

I like Sony, have much prefered their consoles over their competitors so far, but are they actively trying to annoy people?
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:21 pm

Drongnel
For someone to goto the expense and hassle of getting a PS3 from japan before the release they have got to be a huge Sony fan, why in the name of whatever god you may or may not choose to believe in would you prosecute your biggest fans? :shake:
'I Thought what i'd do is i'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes'

Drongnel 60 Dorf hunter (Miner/Engineer)
Ank 38 Gnome mage (Engineer/Tailor)
Dinkl 38 Gnome rogue (Skinner/Leatherworker)
Tamburlaine 22 Dorf Pally (Miner/Blacksmith)
Fayed 20 Nelf Drood (Enchanter/Skinner)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:36 pm

M.Steiner
hardware that does not conform to strict EU or UK consumer safety standards.
...the Japanese or American PS3 models would not play older European-sold software for the first two PlayStations, would not play EU Blu-ray movies or DVDs, and would not be covered by a warranty.
I know i would rather wait until the PS3 is released here and buy one that is under warranty and will still play all my other EU PS1/2 games than import one that doesn't. But if the person wanting to import one knows all that and still wants to shell out the cash to get one then i don't see a problem with it..
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:00 pm

BlackDove
The smackdown is there because the Japanese PS3 will be region-free, while the US and EU ones will not.

Of course you're going to declare it illegal. I know I sure as hell would. For shipping fees as extra cost only to have a region free Blu-Ray player and a games you could order from outside your country (I don't know how many of you noticed, but in Europe, everything is much more expensive and the diversity of the product is lower - the standard price being the price of retail abroad+worldwide shipping).

You take your money somewhere else, the regional big dogs are going to have a problem with it naturally.

I can't really say I get the comments "Are they actively trying to annoy consumers?". Anything that's a negative point to the consumer, always has one reason, and one reason alone.

Money.

Return to “General Discussions”