OK Check this out.

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

OK Check this out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:39 am

SSX-Wedge
Well. I finally got some time off... time to spend some money. Over the past couple of weeks ive been researching and trying to put together what i wanted to order. Last week all my parts arrived. So... finally..... it was time for me to have a new computer. Last fall, I ended up building one for my wife. I suffered from envy of that system for many months. I offered to buy it from her. Which is odd.... cause then i would be paying twice for it. She refused. She stated that being that i wanted it so much she wasnt going to let me have it. Then this summer.... I though I would be able to get my system built, nope. My wife says our 5 year old needs a laptop for home schooling. The laptop I take on the road with me.... was being used by him. Some how this laptop ended up taking a nosedive off the table. Hmmmm Now my five year oldhas a new laptop. Sorta like a consiracy. Long days at work over summer, gave me much time to think. I had it..... I would sabatage my system. Mind you its old, a AMD 1 GHz. I put a low watt power supply in it and knew perfectly well... my wife would be coming down to use it. Hehehe She started smelling the years of dust heating up in that thing.... then the computer shut down. Wouldnt even restart. I told he the mother board died..... Its time for me to build a new system. Being my computer in the basement is the print server, the storage for Ipod libraries, and the Tivo. So do you think... Im gonna get my sytem built now? Nope. Wife has a better idea. Im to buy another laptop. One for my 4 year old daughter. I can keep it down in the basement till she is ready for it. Now im starting to really think im getting the short end of a stick here. Now i get called out to the pipeline in Northern MN. Which sorta sucks working 6-7 days a week. My wife gives me her portable DVD player so I can pass the time. Yeah... um Thanks. I come home a week later for one day before i have to head back. My wife presents me with a laptop. Not just any laptop. but a MAC. (Here comes the icepick in the forehead). The CD drive is duct taped shut the power cord you have to wiggle just to get it to charge and it looks as iff its been used as a drink coaster for the past couple of years. Ok... I tried the thing a couple of times. Internet..... yeah right. Safari... would scramble anything it loaded. You couldnt read a web page or email if it meant your life. I knew i wasnt spending any money for a updated operating system for it. I came to the realization thats its only true use could be that if being a boat anchor. Heck... it couldnt even do that right. Its flat and has no weight to it. Plus... its too white. It would scare the fish away. ENOUGH!
I wanted to do this at the beginning of 08... but was called back to work right away.

So read on.

Re: OK Check this out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:40 am

SSX-Wedge
Antec 1200 Full Tower
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Intel i7 920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI E 2.0 x 16 (Crossfire ready) hehehe
OCZ XMP Ready Series 6GB (3x2GB) 240 pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Seasonic x750 Gold 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular PS
Thermalright Venomous X CPU Cooler
2 Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm Quiet fans 1850 RPM Set up in a Push/Pull on the Venomous X
LG Super Multi Blue Internal Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter BH08 (Plays any and all formats BD DVD CD) Plus Lightscribe
Lamptron FC5 Fan Controller (Just released last week)
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Razer - Mamba Laser Gaming Mouse
OS Windows 7 Pro

Already Overclocked it to 4Ghz. Running Stable
Ill take it back to stock so i can baseline the system temp wise.
Ill post an pic of the front once I install the fan controller.
Oh on a side note, my wife has informed me that being i built myself a new computer..... I have to build a deck off the back of the house this summer.
Go figure eh? Well at least ive got a nice computer. Hehehe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:47 am

Isileth
Wow very nice indeed.

And to show what a sad ocing IT nerd I am, great work on the cable job :)

Looking at getting an i5 myself, sad thing is I bet it works out roughly the same price over here :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:33 am

Stracius
Your two children, both under the age of 8, get new, personal laptops? Jeez, all I got were notebooks and a backpack... where do I sign up? I definitely smell a short-ended stick there, heh. Glad you finally got a system built for yourself :thumb:

Now come play in EVE :weird:
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:26 pm

BlackDove
What's the monitor it's connected to?

Also 5770 is shit-tier, but with the money you were spending, I would've recommended the 5850 at minimum, and 5870 as nominal.

It's still a great rig though, and you can do crossfire with the 5770 eventually to boost the system.

edit: by saying shit-tier, i mean in general performance when comparing to others in the same line - at that price it's a great buy to be sure hands down, and from the standpoint that games won't be changing much in the next 2-3 years (maybe more) with regards to minimum requirements because of the market stagnating technical game development due to the Xbox 360 and the PS3 (as they are the main hardware the mass market games are made for these days, and the hardware is old) in conjunction with the MMO proliferation and the need for mass market there (so that shit computers can run those, it's why all MMO's look like garbage/cartoony save a few.

So definitely a great buy from a realistic perspective.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:48 am

Jericho78
Wowwee! What a rig! Are you charitable? :p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:37 am

SSX-Wedge
I hear ya BD. I had the 5870 in my list. Then I ended up buying another boxer pup. So I down sized. The 5770 just was next on the list. I did think about the crossfire already. Once work starts back up Ill sell off the card then buy the 5870. I like the 256 bit ver anyhow. As for the Monitor. My wife won 2 of them. Dell E228WFP 22" LCD flatscreen.
As for you Jericho.... If I would have known I would have sent you one of my old systems. Maybe you could use MY Apple 2E. hehehe Oh wait. How about a IBM Aptiva 233 w/MMX LOL... oh wait I got ride of it already. So sorry.
Plus I still am thinking about building a raid as well. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:21 pm

BlackDove
Yeah, you may want to look for a new screen.

One that's at the very least 24" and does 1920x1080 which all the new ones do.

They're cheap as hell these days, I just bought one myself a few months ago. Living the dream.

For example, any one of these will do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... %20cd%2fm2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:33 pm

M.Steiner
Very nice spec dude ^^

I've been looking at some system specs with my bro over the last few days too, something in the system he has atm (and has had for 6yrs) went last week but he doesn't fancy spending money replacing whatever it is in such an old machine even if it's something cheap and simple. Can't say I blame him.

After a bit of advice but would the below specs be okay for: mostly watching movies, music, web and he'd like to play MMO's on it if any take his fancy at some point. I still imagine he'll play most games on his 360 if I've already bought em but if there were any PC exclusives or ones which have better interfaces on the PC or whatever (say Crysis, Sims 3, Dragon Age with the better interface for examples sake) he wouldn't mind being able to play them too.

--
Specs he has been considering: Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz Socket Socket 1156 8MB L3 Cache, ASUS P755-M DDR3 Socket 1156, 4gig Corsair Dual DDR3 1333MHz, GeForce GTX260 896MB, 600W PSU running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
--

We did look at Core 2 Duo's originally and a decent one of those would probably be sufficient with todays games I think (my knowledge on PC tech isn't so good these days), Quad Core seemed a bit extreme to me to begin with tbh, future maybe... But then I was thinking that perhaps it wouldn't be such a good idea getting a new system built around older tech when there are i3,i5 & i7's out now as far as Intel go. Basically something that is good/great for today without being too excessive but also has newish hardware so he'd be able to upgrade bits & pieces in the future without it being a waste of money. Did also consider a SLI version of that mobo but I don't see him using more than one graphics card at a time in the future either so it would be a waste of money I think, an upgraded gfx card in the future (and possibly power if needed) sure.
Would that system fit that description anyway? This is why I prefer consoles, so much easier and a lot cheaper too :p

Also as another option, how about an AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40GHz Socket AM3 Black Edition instead of going Intel? I've always used AMD in the past but Intel seems to appear a lot... That appears to be one (if not the) best for AMD atm and would actually work out a bit cheaper as well oO. With either an ASUS M4A785D-V EVO (which is DDR3 no SLI) or ASUS M4N72-E (SLI, but DDR2). Either would work out a bit cheaper than the intel i5 but which would be better all around? :/

(As for monitor, think he's already decided on getting this Viewsonic when he can.

Thanks for any advice in advance & apologies for hijacking the thread heh ;)
Once my bro has saved & got which ever system he's getting, we may save again for one of the same for me.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:13 pm

BlackDove
You have to look at the socket and the clock core.

the i3, i5 and even some i7's (the 800 ones) are all shit tier. If you want to use the computer for web browsing, go with one of those. That's what Office computers are going to be using. If you want to run Excel on Windows 7, that's the processor for you. They use the wrong socket, the 1156 while what you want if you're building a computer today is 1366 (as that is where the hexacore, octacore etc. is going to be on with the proper clock values and the L caches for GAEMS - meaning when it comes time to upgrade, you won't be up shit creek with a motherboard that only takes inferior processors, but even without considering the future, it's the CPU's that are going to be taking the heat GAEMS give them and run with it).

Yeah, the i5 he is considering (sly dog you), the 750 one particularly, rivals the high end 975 i7 when you overclock the bejeezus out of it, and it's fairly cheaper too I believe, but that's academic at best for a regular games user. Also, SLI doesn't quite work well with anything but the i7 900's.

I think most, if not all 1366 motherboards have some SLI or Crossfire support, and if not, you should just check the specs on whether they have one. Odds are however, when a new card comes out, it'll be better to buy a new one, than to buy an old one and add it to your already aged one. And now especially with the fact that memory has increased so much on one graphic card (like for example, I have a 320mb v-ram card and have bought it some 2.5 years ago which still runs games on high, while all today's cards are like a full gig of RAM or more (the high tier are even 2 gigs), so it's not like you need more graphic cards because suddenly 4 gigs are going to be the norm - maybe someday but not soon). If you do see yourself SLIng or CrossFireing someday tho, you need the 920.

The Phenom II 965 X4's are oooooooookay, while even AM3's are inferior to the 1366 i7's, there's not a whole lot of argument for AMD these days. They're cheaper, but yeah, you definitely get what you pay for.

Also, I don't recall AMD motherboards being fully compatible with DDR3 1333-1600mhz triple channel set-ups, and that is exactly what you should be aiming for, as the days of the dual channel 2-4-6-8-etc. gigabytes of RAM are over.

All that said tho, if he overclocks that i5 750 to 4 gigs or something or other, that system will work marginally well for maybe two years or so? I mean it's not bad by any measure.

Also, stay the <censored> away from the 260. If you're buying nVidia, you need to wait for the 300 line coming in Q1 (likely), or be looking at Radeon 5770, 5850, 5870.

tl:dr (that thing above is a mess and contradicts itself sometimes)

My advice:

CPU: Nothing below i7 920
GRAFIXX: nVidia - whatever their medium to high 300 line will be, Radeon 5770 minimum or above.
RAM: Probably best at DDR3 6 gigs at 1333 or 1600mhz.

That's more or less it as far as my opinion is concerned.

When most reviewers or somesuch talk about hardware, they talk about the encompassing value blah blah blah, I only talk about how it can handle shit like Crysis and the like. Those things that really rape a system. That's what I need the computer to do, and hypothetically do it with a future Crysis 2. If it can't handle that well, pass.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:35 pm

M.Steiner
Thanks from both of us for the advice BD, tis much appreciated :thumb:

--
Intel Core i7-920 (Socket LGA 1366)
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (DDR3 & support for Crossfire/SLI)
6GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz RAM
Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Coolermaster HAF 922 Mid Tower Case
--

He may go for the above when he can (end of Feb/Early March), and then us save up for the same for me. Mebbe with 600W Power, that wouldn't be powerful enough to run say a 5970 in the future or 2x 5770's but increasing it to something like 800W would add another 40 quid or something. 40 quid isn't much at the end of the day but it certainly adds up with the rest of it heh, so undecided on that for the time being. Power could always be upgraded in the future along with a new card though, but being <censored> as far as mobo/cpu sockets go for upgrading is another thing completely so I can see what you mean by going with the 1366. Tower isn't as big as the 932 version either but should be okay for a bigger gfx card in the future I should think, also cheaper.
Specs & price must be double what we originally started looking at but in the long run it would probably have been a big waste of money buying something half arsed now (whilst currently okay) and then having big trouble upgrading later without having to rip everything out.
That is the plan atm anyway.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Return to “General Discussions”