RuneScape

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

RuneScape

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:10 pm

enlightened
Hey all

I was wondering if anyone is playing RuneScape these days? (Haha I know I know, silly game)
After their update of the Wilderness (player combat area) it's become quite a happening place. I don't really get much time to play games these days due to constant harassment from studies and all but RS is a fun on and off game that doesn't require too much time. Would be nice to see some friends and embark on silly adventures together; storm the wilderness and what not ;)

Re: RuneScape

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:19 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Oh wow. Runescape. I haven't played that in maybe 7 years now? I quit after they put out the 3D update, as I hated the new engine. 2D was the greatest - with Wildy runs and hours on end spent mining then carting the ore back to Falador for Smithing! :D

How is the game? I guess a lot has changed in the intervening years. But there's so little I can remember I'm not sure I'd recognise what was new. I do seem to recall the road from the southern city to Falador for some reason - guess I must have travelled it a lot. I think I used to farm sheep/cows on that road at low levels to skill up... There was a random house in the Wilderness that I recall too, but I can't remember why. Wonder if it was for a quest...

I wonder if my account is still around. Might try and remember my login details this weekend and have a look in - though I neither remember how to play properly nor what state I left my character in (though I DO recall I had a Mithril Sword of some kind). Not sure I'd have the time to pick it up full time, but some nostalgia cannot hurt provided I can access my old account (not sue I could bear levelling up mining all over again...). And hey, if I fall back into the addiction once again I may look you up :)

Will let you know if I manage to get in come Saturday!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:31 am

enlightened
I did read about lots of people leaving after it became 3D. Right now the 3D is excellent for a free game and it's highly polished for a browser-run title. The game itself provides countless options in terms of things to do, and the South Falador road still exists and is still used by newcomers to level haha :P

I also used to play back when it was 2D and didn't play much after the 3D release. I completely stopped playing later on. I've only recently started playing again after they brought back open-trade and the Wilderness (more information on that below). Even though I was more current with the game and updates, it's still changed so much since last I played, almost a new game entirely. I recommend you visit the RuneScape site http://www.runescape.com and go through the Manual tab under Game Guide to get some information about skills and activities :lol:
Oh and i'll certainly help you out if you do give it a shot :thumb: I'm fairly low level myself but I can get you equipment etc.

Here's a clip showing PvP footage from the Wilderness ;D - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HhXUetfjto

Some information on the old update:

Sometime in 2009 or so they changed the game so that people couldn't freely trade anything with each other (caps and limits were introduced that allowed players to trade only 10,000 RSGP [A very low sum] every 10 minutes) This measure was taken to stop gold farmers from selling gold. In addition, they also changed the Wilderness so that a player killed there would not drop all of his worn equipment but would drop randomly generated loot only visible to his killer. Naturally this update caused a major uproar and thousands of players quit.
Meanwhile, they continued releasing new updates with quests, items, skills and what not. All of the new content was highly appreciated but people were nostalgic and thought about the 'good old days' when they could trade freely (give gifts, have item-drop parties and all) and the Wilderness was actually a risky and rewarding zone.
Only this year did they change the game back to the way it was and reintroduced open-trade and the old Wilderness. This made everyone happy and the day the update was implemented I think over 50,000 people returned to the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:59 am

enlightened
Oh and Anny I believe the Wilderness clip is from when they randomly generated items dropped (that update was sort of like what the New Game Enhancements and Combat Update was for StarWars Galaxies in terms of upsetting players).
These days if one attacks and kills a player, one gets everything that player is wearing ;D It's risky to wear any expensive equipment into the wilderness, especially with the warbands running around these days :shaking:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:32 am

Stracius
No. And that's final.

I don't even have to read anything you guys posted. Just no.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:08 pm

enlightened
Stracius wrote:No. And that's final.

I don't even have to read anything you guys posted. Just no.
Haha :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Oh good lord lol. That video brings back far too many memories - that combat seemed so great at the time but seems so limited now.

Thanks for the info btw, I'll maybe have a leaf through the Game Guide on my lunch hour at work tomorrow. Like I say, I remember very little, so you're right that re-reading up on guides may be a good idea if I manage to find my old account. Or just for nostalgia if I don't.

Also, good to hear the old stomping grounds are still around :lol: Far too many memories of that road :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Kon
IIRC I played RuneScape briefly in 2003. My only memory is chopping wood. I was also under the impression that my friend had given me a great set of armor, since it looked exactly the same as the armor on high-level players. Unfortunately I quickly learned that color was everything when it came to armor. ;)
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:01 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Kahn wrote:IIRC I played RuneScape briefly in 2003. My only memory is chopping wood. I was also under the impression that my friend had given me a great set of armor, since it looked exactly the same as the armor on high-level players. Unfortunately I quickly learned that color was everything when it came to armor. ;)
Oh lord yes, lol. Wasn't Mithril blue? I was so pleased when I got a set.

Sadly I could not recall my account details, and I have no real desire to start a new character. The past shall therefore remain the past, but it's fun remembering some of this stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:21 am

Futile Resistance
Kahn wrote: My only memory is chopping wood.
Played it back in '03 as well. My only memory was mining ore.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:00 am

enlightened
Heh I used to mine ore a lot myself :P

Return to “General Discussions”