2012 Releases

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: 2012 Releases

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:43 am

M.Steiner
I've admittedly not been watching out for news of this too closely but I can't say I've seen any trailers for it anywhere. Bit weird but I wouldn't worry. It's not exactly the same I know but Square Enix only released the 1 trailer for their PC re-release of FFVII, which contained no gameplay footage either. Whilst I'm sure (I hope) a release like that will have helped introduce it to gamers who were too young at the time or just hadn't played it, the main people buying games like that are people who have already played them and already know what to expect pretty much. They don't really need to spend as much time and money advertising something which, like the FF7 re-release, despite whatever enhancements that they may or may not have done with that particular release, it's not a new game at the end of the day. It already has a huge reputation and would sell regardless. My take on it at least.

I wouldn't mind playing this too if it doesn't look or play too dated for me, that being said it would have to wait a while. I've already pre-ordered Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Rocksmith, Hitman Absolution, Assassins Creed 3 and Far Cry 3 and I want to play all of those far more tbh. Especially the new IP I haven't shut up about hehe ;)
[Edit - Speaking of which. New video today]
Can't come soon enough! :D

Btw, unrelated (and not 2012 even) but I'm sure you'll be interested in this:
Guessing this is going to countdown from 4 to an announcement of something rather than 4 being in the title, then again it could be both I suppose. Like a Dungeon Siege 4 for example but hopefully it's something a little more exciting and less predictable! ^^
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:08 am

BlueFlames
It is indeed a countdown, as now that it is past midnight, the numeral has changed to a three, and the new quote is as follows:
"The book unread is unwritten. The reason we don't explain it is the reason we use it. Its power is in its mystery. That is the Leaden Key, in part, in whole. Is it clear?" [Shit, no.]

Digging for the truth buries the seeker. [But Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend are still very much alive and unburied!]
(Sarcasm and song reference mine)

I suppose I'll be checking in on Obsidian in a couple of days.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:12 pm

M.Steiner
From our brief chat on IRC about this yesterday;

Dungeon Siege 4 would have been my first guess but that's way too obvious. Plus I don't think they'd tease a 4th game like they are doing when the third did pretty bad and looked it too. - I reckon it'll be a new fantasy RPG from them. Their version of Elder Scrolls / The Witcher / Dragon Age.
Could be something original by them or maybe it'll be based on a book (or a set of) like CDPR did with The Witcher.

BD thinks it'll be a new Neverwinter Nights game.

And Anny thinks it'll be a sequel to something, did think Dungeon Siege before the page changed from 4 to 3 but isn't too sure now.

A new Fallout game from them would have been great but it's clearly something fantasy based which we could all agree on heh. Whatever it is, maybe they are counting down to their kickstarter project?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:23 pm

BlueFlames
I feel like Obsidian is overdue for a new franchise. They've been doing sequels and expansion packs in place of other developers for some time now, so I think/hope that they have the assets and leverage to get something of their own going.

Something interesting to note is Atari's loss of their exclusive hold on the right to publish D&D-based video games. I'd love (but absolutely do not expect) a new game in the Planescape campaign setting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I don't think it'll be something original myself. Whilst I'd love to see another new IP from Obsidian, it's well known that they've been struggling for a project recently, and it's also very late in the console cycle. Also, as much as I enjoyed it myself, I don't think Alpha Protocol did well enough for a publisher to trust them with a new IP at this point in time.

My first thought would have been Baldurs Gate if the HD remake didn't exist - however the remake makes me think that's now unlikely. BD's guess of NWN sounds feasible to me, since they did a good job with NWN2. I do hope it's that. Other than that, I'm really not sure beyond the obvious Dungeon Siege guess - though as soon as it started ticking down I thought (and still think) that's not going to be it.

Finally, just to follow up on BF's point, it's very unlikely to be Planescape. Avellone has gone on record recently as saying that even if he had the chance he wouldn't do another game in that universe - he'd instead try to emulate it without using the license, as he thinks the license is too restrictive.

Will be interesting to see what it turns out to be at any rate. Obsidian = quality :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:08 pm

M.Steiner
Project Eternity is an isometric, party-based RPG set in a new fantasy world developed by Obsidian Entertainment.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obs ... t-eternity

;)

Black Mesa is out today as well btw guys. Torrent for it here. :thumb:
Gonna download shortly!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:Project Eternity is an isometric, party-based RPG set in a new fantasy world developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

;)
If this doesn't get funded the internet deserves to burn in some form of revolution. It would be a crime above all other crimes.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:21 pm

BlueFlames
Anubis wrote:
M.Steiner wrote:Project Eternity is an isometric, party-based RPG set in a new fantasy world developed by Obsidian Entertainment.
If this doesn't get funded the internet deserves to burn in some form of revolution. It would be a crime above all other crimes.
Not to sound complacent, but they're a third the half way to their goal, and fundraising Day 1 hasn't even ended yet. They might just have this sorted.

Also, who said Obsidian was overdue for an original title? This guy. ;D

[edit] Checked the Kickstarter page again and had to update the fraction of funding already pledged. It's moving that quickly. [/edit]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Quite right as always BF! Why did I ever doubt you? :D

Was only at $100k when I first looked, and it just got fully funded - inside two days. Pretty amazing.

Aside from Double Fine Adventure (which is the most worthy cause of all time), this is the most worthy project to come through Kickstarter. So glad it's done this well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:38 pm

M.Steiner
Well, only one more episode left of Telltale's TWD.
They've done such a good job with these. Great storytelling and tough choices which even this far in I can tell have made an impact on certain things and have affected some of the actions of the characters around me.

Anyone been playing this besides me?. I know Anny was but this was several months ago now, anyone else?. Would be interesting to compare choices ^^
Here are mine:
Episode 1 results
Episode 2 results
Episode 3 results
Episode 4 results
ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:49 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'm still playing, but I haven't completed the fourth yet and don't have screenshots from the others to hand. I'll try and put some together when I finished Episode 4 :)

The games have been very good, I agree. Probably Telltale's best entry to date. Shows how much better they are when they tell serious stories as compared to when they try to relive old classics - sometimes their humour in the latter comes across as forced and they never really measure up to the classics themselves (Monkey Island was a good example of this - good games, but they were a way off the LucasArts standard).

Glad they appear to be doing well with this series :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:33 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Bumping this with Rayman Origins for PC :D

Whilst it's been out a while now, I only recently picked it up (thanks MS for the recommendation) and am thoroughly enjoying it. A true old school platformer, where every set of levels is put together with such imagination and is designed to play off different mechanics than the previous sets.

If you haven't played it and have at any point enjoyed platformers, worth a look I'd say!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:23 pm

SL33PY
Assassin's creed III... Soon (tm) :D

Probable going to order the Freedom Edition (with figurine) and for the first time, I'm going to order it for PC. Better graphics, lower price and I also have a controller for when mouse keyboard combo is a total fail.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:22 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:Bumping this with Rayman Origins for PC :D
Yaaar. Glad you've been enjoying this one. Such a fun game and it looks and runs beautifully on PC :)

SL33PY wrote:Assassin's creed III... Soon (tm) :D

Probable going to order the Freedom Edition (with figurine) and for the first time, I'm going to order it for PC. Better graphics, lower price and I also have a controller for when mouse keyboard combo is a total fail.
For me (UK release dates):

Today - Rocksmith
Early-mid Nov - 5th and final episode of Telltale's The Walking Dead (of season 1)
20th Nov - Hitman Absolution
23rd Nov - Assassin's Creed III
30th Nov - Far Cry 3

Hitman, AC3 and FC3 have been my other GOTY contenders but Dishonored was always the main one for me and that's gonna take quite some beating. Looking forward to all of these around the same but for different reasons. AC3 and FC3 look particularly awesome but if the new Hitman turns out to be as good as Blood Money was with its silent assassin playthroughs and the fantastic replayability it offered.. well, I can just imagine the amount of time I'm gonna spend with that ^^
Anyway, just over 4 weeks before that juggernaut hits. Gonna be good! ;D

[Note to Anny: You should think about catching up a bit bud! You've already got Dishonored, Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2 and whatever other older titles you had waiting to be getting on with and that's when you've finished with Torment & Rayman. In another 4-6 weeks there will be several more to add on top of that list, needless to say your backlog is gonna be insane and take bloody ages to get through, especially considering you've not watched any anime for nearly 2 months either and have last seasons show to finish as well as catching up with this seasons shows too lol :p
Only say this cos, as you know, I usually take on a lot of stuff at once and this is why I always try to keep on top of my tv/anime/game schedules. One episode of a few shows per week isn't really a big deal for me or hard for me to keep up with on top of my gaming etc, for my weekly anime shows it only accounts to just over 2 hours once a week at most which is absolutely nothing really, but the minute I start slacking with those... They'll just keep building up and become increasingly difficult for you to manage and work your way through the longer they go unwatched/played and your list keeps rising, annnnnd in the end you're just making life harder for yourself. Rather you than me anyway but I speak from experience, you have been warned hehe :shaking:
tl;dr - Stop slacking & catch up! :thumb:

Speaking of Rocksmith btw. I don't know how widespread this problem is but since no gaming sites have actually picked up on this yet let me be your news reporter!. This could be all PC copies (minus the US, maybe) or maybe it's just some but my PC copy of Rocksmith arrived earlier this week and there was no product key to be seen anywhere in the box, I wasn't the only one either as there have been at least 2 threads on the official forums with others from (last time I checked) Belgium, Germany, Sweden, the UK and Australia all reporting exactly the same problem. Obviously without the key you can't even install it and register it to your account let alone play it.
Not sure about US PC copies. I haven't seen Mech in over a week now to ask him about his US copy, but I haven't noticed anyone from the US reporting of this on the forums yet so those copies may be fine, not sure. Pretty huge screw up though.
Thankfully the Ubisoft support have been extremely helpful, I reported the problem and included my proof of purchase and they sent me a cd key via e-mail the next day so as long as that registers on steam later tonight okay, all should be well.
If you're in the same boat see this page for help :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:39 pm

M.Steiner
Soooo, Hitman Absolution and AC3 out next tuesday and friday. Who else is getting? :D
These 2 (and FC3 in 2 weeks) have been my other GOTY contenders after Dishonored so I'm quite excited to see how these have turned out. I'm still expecting Dishonored to remain as my top pick if I'm honest but really can't wait to get my hands on these next week.

Also has anyone bought from the Official Ubi Store before by any chance? SL33PY & I bought our copies of AC3 from there that's all. Hoping they are good at getting their games out for release day? First time I've used em.

[Edit] The final episode of Telltale's The Walking Dead has just been announced as releasing next wednesday too, gonna be a fun week!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 am

SL33PY
Very curious to see when the items will arrive, also ordered FM 2013 because I got it cheap :) it's underway now normally

Hitman and far cry both will go on the back burner, until their respective "all dlc included" versions are on steam promotion (30€ or less).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:16 pm

M.Steiner
If there's anyone looking to buy a digital copy of Hitman Absolution, use "GMG35-FGR37-COY0B" on GMG to get it 35% off.

Not sure about EU/US prices but for UK it
brings the standard digital edition down to £17.55
and the digital Professional Edition for just £23.40

Nice saving indeed. Oh and it redeems on Steam ofc.

"This offer is only available for a limited time. At 1200 GMT Friday November 23rd it will be retracted, agent."

Enjoy :thumb:
My boxed copy has just been dispatched :D

Launch Trailer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Won't be getting it digitally, but am thinking of picking it up. Thanks for the heads up though! :)

Make sure you give me your thoughts when you've played it!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:42 pm

M.Steiner
Will be sure to do so and take lots of pics too lol
If it offers anywhere near what Blood Money brought to the table it should be a damn good game but we shall have to wait and see. Hitman Blood Money was pretty amazing really so the bar has already been set very high. I'd love to see Absolution go beyond that point but I'm not really sure whether it will or not if I'm honest. However, as long as it has remained true to the Hitman series and it can still be played like a Hitman game should (proper silent assassin with lots of possible ways to go about killing your targets), I'll be happy as long as the rest of it holds up too. I shall find out in a few days.
and I should hope for PC too if you do decide to pick it up. We'll have none of this downgrading to console versions nonsense I tell ya! heh :p
;)

Roll on Tuesday!
(and Wed, and Fri lol)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:49 pm

SL33PY
<censored> you, now I bought hitman too... 35€ at release, would be silly to wait 1,5-2 years for 5€

btw found following code: GMG20-1FYLZ-EDG8R dunno for which games yet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:18 pm

M.Steiner
He arrived ;D

I've only played the first 2 levels so far, the first of which was tutorial based for the most part so I don't really want to say too much at this point. There are a few things I'm... unsure of atm though is all I'll say. Will wait until I've played more before I make any judgement calls.

I will say this though; Square Enix went that extra mile with Sleeping Dogs for PC and it looked and played amazingly. Absolution looks really nice on PC too.

More later :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:29 am

SL33PY
I like the replay-ability of the levels

btw I just got my confirmation mail, that my AC3 Freedom Ed. is on it's way waaahooooooo!!

I also hope, SE will sell the figurine separately too, I like it mostly because it looks like a friend of mine, and it would be a great birthday present :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:19 pm

M.Steiner
SL33PY wrote:btw I just got my confirmation mail, that my AC3 Freedom Ed. is on it's way waaahooooooo!!
weeeee. Mine too :D
Coming from Germany it seems.

Will start it as soon as I've finished with Hitman and the last episode of TWD, assuming it has arrived by then. TWD won't take me long to finish though as I usually do each episode in one sitting, they're not that long :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:56 pm

SL33PY
Hey M-S...

AC3 Freedom Edition:

Tracking Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Service:UPS Standard®
Shipped/Billed On:11/21/2012
Delivered On: 11/22/2012 11:25 A.M.

I'm installing it tonight \o/

Probable can't play till tomorrow :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:34 pm

M.Steiner
Guess what?

Mine too!. Was not expecting it until tomorrow lol
Props to the Official Ubisoft Store for their superb service. Got my dispatch e-mail from Germany yesterday morning and it's in my hands in the UK the day after. Extremely impressed by that turnaround, couldn't ask for better :)
From what I understand there is no release timer check on AC3 so you could start playing before tomorrow if you wanted to, assuming this is correct. I'm still going to wait until I've finished my first playthrough of Hitman before I start it myself. I expect to have completed that (contracts mode aside) either tomorrow or sat as I'm just over halfway through looking at a list of mission titles. Will post my impressions and screenshots of AC3 once I start it, and my thoughts on Absolution before it ofc.
Tis installed, updated, graphics options set, DLC redeemed and ready to go!!

I did however play the final episode of The Walking Dead last night. Will wait until other peeps have caughtup or started playing it before I post screenies with the remainder of my choices, can discuss them then!
Amazing. Well done Telltale.

(btw. Don't have to put the - between my name tag bud. Just MS ;))

Return to “General Discussions”