Classic RPG Recommendations

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Classic RPG Recommendations

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
So a lot of you may know that I tend to have stretches where I spend a lot of time going back and replaying old RPGs (or even games in general) that I particularly enjoyed playing. Final Fantasy, KOTOR, Max Payne, Bloodlines and the like.

I've actually been in the mood to start such a stretch for a few weeks now, but have been delaying starting one whilst I played TOR. Been lining up FF8, and possibly a Persona 3 replay too.

However, in the last couple of days a few articles are various gaming news sites have caught me eye, discussing other old games which I haven't played, which are particularly highly thought of. Most particularly, Chrono Cross and Suikoden 2. I'd heard of Chrono Cross before and had been meaning to get to it for a few years, but Suikoden was new to me. So I was wondering how many other older RPGs might be floating around out there that are in the same state for me - unplayed, yet highly regarded.

So with that in mind, I figured it might be nice if a few of us shared our old favourites - and possibly put others onto gems that they haven't gotten to before in the process. So what are the older RPGs (or indeed other games if you'd prefer) that you would recommend for others to look at, but may not be particularly mainstream these days?

I'll start us off with Persona 3, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, and Baldur's Gate. Also, a special mention for Legend oif Dragoon. It wasn't up to the standard of Final Fantasy, but it was still a fun game I have fond memories of.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Classic RPG Recommendations

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:47 pm

SL33PY
planescape torment

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:51 pm

M.Steiner
Shenmue (I & II) from Yu Suzuki.
Two absolutely wonderful games, lightyears ahead of their time and those of us who were lucky enough to play them back in the day still remember them very, very fondly. They still evoke some of my fondest memories of any games to date, right up there with more popular titles like FFVII.
Up until a couple of years ago the original spent nearly a decade as the #1 most expensive video game ever made but sadly, poor sales meant not many gamers got to experience them at the time they were released ('99/00) and we never did get a 3rd chapter either. Though there are still a lot of loyal fans out there who hang on to hoping that one day we just might.
Not going to go listing off lots of other titles which are probably more popular. Just these 2 as they really were amazing and a must play. :)

Also - Chrono Cross is one game I've been aware of since the good FF days and is something I always meant to & wanted to play. I just never seemed to get to doing just that and time kept passed by... If you play it or if anyone else has would be nice to hear some thoughts. Maybe one day I'll actually play it lol :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:Also - Chrono Cross is one game I've been aware of since the good FF days and is something I always meant to & wanted to play. I just never seemed to get to doing just that and time kept passed by... If you play it or if anyone else has would be nice to hear some thoughts. Maybe one day I'll actually play it lol :)
I will be playing it, just not sure when - possibly after I do LA Noire.

Will let you know when I have some thoughts to impart :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:34 am

Stracius
SL33PY wrote:planescape torment
An oldie, but oh such a great game. Blows Baulder's Gate out of the water with ease. Can't forget about the Icewind Dale series either. Great games, those.

Never got around to Chrono Cross either; kind of surprising when I consider how much I enjoyed its prequel, Chrono Trigger.

I still enjoy System Shock 2, though it takes a little bit of tweaking to get to work on modern machines. There's a lot of support out there for it, however, along with updated skins and res packs. It still has quite the fan base.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:35 pm

SL33PY
Someone needs to do a System Shock 3, without touching the originals integrity, same for planescape torment, I had a corrupted save game, never played it after that =(

I need to find out what happened to black isle studios, they had a big name back then, I wonder where they went to, same with TSR (I saw the planescape torment intro) I know that both those companies meant something in the old age RPG community

gonna do some lookups now;

Edit: In 1998, several key members responsible for Fallout, left Interplay to form Troika Games after they "were unable to come to an agreement with Interplay as to how [their] next team should be structured".[4] On December 8, 2003, in the midst of serious financial difficulties, Interplay laid off the entire Black Isle Studios staff.[5] By then, most members had moved on to found a new company called Obsidian Entertainment (2003–present).

Obsidian ey, I know them too :)

TSR was a publisher bought up by Wizards of the Coast, who were bought up by Hasbro of little kids toy's fame

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:05 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
A lot of the Black Isle people went to form Troika, which proceeded to make one of the best but buggiest RPGs of all time (Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines), before sadly going bust.

As you say, what's left of Black Isle is Obsidian now. That's really the cause of why I rate them higher than Bioware - they make better stories with better choice involved. They have done ever since Black Isle :)

If you haven't played it, I strongly recommend Bloodlines with the Community Patch!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:51 pm

SL33PY
fished bloodlines 4 times already

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SL33PY wrote:fished bloodlines 4 times already
Ah, then you have superb taste sir :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:11 pm

SL33PY
Anubis wrote:
SL33PY wrote:fished bloodlines 4 times already
Ah, then you have superb taste sir :D
I'm offended that you weren't aware of my impeccable taste :weird:

;D ;D ;D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Whizbang
SL33PY wrote:planescape torment
Deffo the quoted. Absolutely amazing game. I still load it in and give it a play now and then.

Some other good ones would be the Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale series, Neverwinter Nights was enjoyable, Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger are some of the better jRPGs, and I'd also recommend Arcanum. Bit like the original Fallout but in a steampunk setting. :thumb:
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Mechanus wrote:Secret of Mana
Now that's one I've never heard of before. But in looking it up it seems like it might be a bit too old to be able to get hold of a copy of and then play. Unless it's been re-released recently, or bundled as part of an emulation disk somewhere?

I think on the basis of the multitude of recommendations I'm also going to have to pick up Planescape Torment at some point. It's one that I've heard a lot of in passing, but have never really been prodded firmly in its direction. By the sounds of it a lot of people have praise for it, so it's perhaps time to correct that oversight.

Another couple from me, did anyone ever play The Adventures of Alundra? I have memories of playing it from MANY years ago, but am not sure I ever actually finished it. I'm thinking it may be another I go back to, as my memories are far too vague to cast judgement - but since I remember it after so long, I don't think it can have been too bad.

Finally, a series that I've mentioned in another thread recently, Heroes of Might and Magic 3. I do recall spending an awful long time on that game - though it was almost an RTS with strong story more than it was an RPG. Even so, one I would recommend.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:05 am

SL33PY
If I recall correctly, HoMM3 (Heroes of Might and Magic) is a turn based strategy game. And I too threw hours in its way :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:54 pm

Cyma
Anubis wrote:
Mechanus wrote:Secret of Mana

Woa this make me remember some good old time, this game was so much fun lol

One game i would play back, but thats on the sega, is Wonderboy, in Monster Land, played so many hours of that game hehe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMb9_Uhe9uY)
Huh?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:46 pm

winbrian
Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore were both great games.

Also another one I liked was Super Mario RPG.

Chrono Trigger was great, really wasn't into Chrono Cross, but I'll probably give it another go later.

My brother likes Suikoden series, I haven't played any of those much.

Return to “General Discussions”