Building a new rig, maybe

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Building a new rig, maybe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:05 pm

Messiah
Looks like I may have to rebuild my PC from the ground up for the first time in five years.

Is there any reason not to go with the i5 processor?

My previous gpu setup was dual 7800 GTX cards. What should I be looking at now?

I'd like for the machine to meet minimum gaming standarfs for two years before I need to upgrade.

Your advice is appreciated.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

Re: Building a new rig, maybe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:16 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
If I were you I'd take a look at this:

Logical Increments PC Buying Guide

BD gave me an older version of that when I bought my new rig a little over a year ago now and I have been absolutely delighted with the outcome. I went for the equivilant of "Exceptional" at the time, but since it gives you different recommendations to match what budget you have available you should be able to find whatever tier suits you best or pick and choose.

I know we have others around here who are more hardware gurus than I, but I'd strongly recommend that guide to anyone looking at a new PC. When I need to upgrade again, I'll be using it again as reference.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:54 am

Messiah
Excellent, thanks Anny. That is a great resource. Leave it to BD to get straight to the point.

Damn the allure of Mechwarrior Online. Living in Southern California now, I suppose I shouldn't be spending that much time indoors anyway.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Messiah wrote:Living in Southern California now, I suppose I shouldn't be spending that much time indoors anyway.
How could you say such a thing? Nothing must detract from your gaming time!

Also, I hear the sun emits radiation and is harmful. Best not go outside.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:00 am

Rock-n-Roll
SoCal, eh? Let me know where, I have some friends out that way.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:04 pm

Chimera
I'm nearly in the same boat as Messiah. Had to scrap the desktop so I've just got the laptop now and its barely cutting the mustard.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

Return to “General Discussions”