TV Chat & Recommendations

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: Your top tv drama shows (+ general tv chat/recommendatio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:38 pm

M.Steiner
Breaking Bad got better and better as it went on as well pretty much so you're going to love what's to come. Crazy good ;D
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:54 am

M.Steiner
Have any of you been watching "The Missing" with James Nesbitt at all, Anny perhaps?. Its last episode aired last night with a second season announced this morning.
Loved it. Another quality, gripping British drama there if you haven't been following it. Episodes 1-3 are not on the iPlayer anymore so you'd have to watch those elsewhere now but episode 4-8 still are (episode 4 will be removed tomorrow night however, with the rest available for another 8-29 days).
Definitely worth a watch and only 8 episodes :thumb:

Just one more ep of The Fall to air too (tomorrow, ep6). I thought last weeks ep was incredible tbh so they've set the bar high for the finale!. Still one of the best things on TV imo :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Only thing I'm watching currently other than BSG is Bates Motel, which is pretty decent :)

Will have a look into The Missing though - hadn't heard of that one! Good British stuff can be hard to find :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:30 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:Will have a look into The Missing though - hadn't heard of that one! Good British stuff can be hard to find :)
:thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:39 am

SL33PY
in season 5 of breaking bad atm, will switch to orange is the new black when we're done watching breaking bad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:41 pm

M.Steiner
Almost done with Breaking Bad now eh?. Nice. When you're done you'll be able nag Anny to get it finished too lol.
Let us know your thoughts when you've finished it dude. One of the best shows ever made I would say, hopefully you will agree when you're done. Those last couple of seasons especially.. some crazy good shit :)

"Tread Lightly"

Also, good pick with Orange is the New Black :thumb:
Netflix have produced some fantastic tv drama so far, I've been quite surprised by it. I haven't seen this new Marco Polo series of theirs but House of Cards & Orange is the New Black are up there with the kinda content you get out of HBO & AMC imo. Quality stuff. Cannot wait for S3 of House of Cards in Feb!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:41 pm

Isileth
Started watching Breaking Bad myself, on season 3 at the moment.

I'm incredibly up to date this time, was 8 years late to the Wire party.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:52 pm

M.Steiner
I was late to The Wire as well but hey, at least we've seen it :)
Bought the DVDs of the Wire in 2009 so around a year after it finished airing. I'd never seen an episode of it before but everytime I went looking for tv recommendations it always came up. One of the best blind purchases I've ever made tbh.
There's only 1 show I'd rate above it (and only slightly) and that's The Sopranos. I think those will remain as my top 2 for a very long time, as good as some of these other shows have been.

That reminds me.. I still need to see his Treme show.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:40 am

Isileth
Sopranos and Treme are both on my to watch list, but frankly that's a list that only ever grows so who knows if I will ever get round to watching them.

Re: Your top tv drama shows (+ general tv chat/recommendations)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:29 pm

M.Steiner
Something a bit different:
Night Will Fall wrote:Night Will Fall is a documentary by director Andre Singer that uses footage originally compiled by the British Government in April of 1945 as part of the German Concentration Camps Factual Survey. The 1945 film was part of an effort led by the British Ministry of Information’s Sidney Bernstein to fully illustrate the crimes of the Nazis. Bernstein brought in Richard Crossman to write the film's narration and had Alfred Hitchcock flown over from Hollywood to advise on the structure. The British government shelved the film without showing it to the public, and questions remain whether they purposefully suppressed it for political reasons or whether they determined that other projects would be more effective in the de-Nazification process.

70 years after being relegated to the archives, an updated version of the documentary produced by Sally Angel and Brett Ratner will air on the U.K.'s Channel 4 on 24 January 2015 and will then be broadcast by major networks around the world on 27 January, Holocaust Remembrance Day, the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. Night Will Fall combines the original footage with new interviews of the survivors who are still alive, including Anita Lasker-Wallfisch and Branko Lustig, will broadcast by Swedish SVT on 26 January 2015.
Holocaust: Night Will Fall | Channel 4 on-demand
Incredibly harrowing and powerful piece of film. Try and find time to watch it if you missed its airing (HBO showed it in the US last night too). It will be available here on 4oD for the next 27 days :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:42 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Random bump, but has anyone ever watched Misfits?

I was shown the first episode last night and was surprisingly impressed by it. Might pick it up and go through the whole thing, as there aren't tons of episodes. Curious to see if our TV buffs have any impressions of it?
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:32 pm

M.Steiner
I've come across the name before but never seen it or really know anything about it. Have added it to my Netflix queue though so I'll give this one a look when I can too! :)

One show I started watching last year which I don't think I posted about too - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Some seasons were better than others but I've been amazed that after 10 seasons (S10 is airing right now) they're still pumping em out and yet a couple of episodes from this new series have been some of the best they've ever done. "Charlie Work" especially.
The series follows "The Gang", a group of five depraved underachievers: twins Dennis and Deandra "Sweet Dee" Reynolds, their friends Charlie Kelly and Mac, and their adoptive father Frank Reynolds, who run Paddy's Pub, a run-down bar in South Philadelphia.
Really, really funny show :)

I'm giving "Community" a try atm too which has also been surprisingly good. Not quite up there with sunny though, at least not yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Whizbang
Always Sunny is a great series. 'Paddy's Pub: Home of the Original Kitten Mittens' is one of my favorites as is 'Gun Fever'. Community is good for the first few seasons and then gets really un-funny after season 3. That's when Dan Harmon was removed from the series.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:20 pm

M.Steiner
Mechanus wrote:Always Sunny is a great series.
It really is. I don't know how they've managed to maintain the quality for so many seasons but they have. I was linking Anny to these over the weekend (and linked em on #ssx too) but:
NSFW lol:

:lol: :lol:
This current season has been absolutely brilliant.

Re: TV Chat & Recommendations

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:36 pm

M.Steiner
The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst [HBO documentary mini-series]
From Andrew Jarecki and Marc Smerling (the Oscar® nominees behind Capturing the Friedmans), comes The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst, a six-part examination of the reclusive millionaire at the heart of three killings spanning four decades. Robert Durst, the scion of a New York real estate empire, has long been a suspect in the notorious 1982 disappearance of his wife, Kathie. Further suspicion was raised with the unsolved killing of his confidante, Susan Berman, thought to be a key witness in the investigation into Kathie's disappearance in 2000, as well as the subsequent killing and dismemberment of a neighbor in Galveston, Texas. Durst has consistently maintained his innocence and remains a free man today.
Just gone through all 6 parts over the last 2 nights. Just... wow.
Go watch.

Re: TV Chat & Recommendations

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:00 pm

M.Steiner
M.Steiner wrote:The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst [HBO documentary mini-series]
From Andrew Jarecki and Marc Smerling (the Oscar® nominees behind Capturing the Friedmans), comes The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst, a six-part examination of the reclusive millionaire at the heart of three killings spanning four decades. Robert Durst, the scion of a New York real estate empire, has long been a suspect in the notorious 1982 disappearance of his wife, Kathie. Further suspicion was raised with the unsolved killing of his confidante, Susan Berman, thought to be a key witness in the investigation into Kathie's disappearance in 2000, as well as the subsequent killing and dismemberment of a neighbor in Galveston, Texas. Durst has consistently maintained his innocence and remains a free man today.
Just gone through all 6 parts over the last 2 nights. Just... wow.
Go watch.
Dunno if any of you did but Sky Atlantic will start airing it tonight too, 9pm :thumb:

Return to “General Discussions”