Dishonored

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Dishonored

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:22 pm

M.Steiner
Thought this game deserved its own thread since it's only 2 weeks away now! - October 9th for you lucky guys in the US. Those of us in the UK (and the rest of EU) will get our hands on it October 12th.
I think the last game which excited me as much as Dishonored has managed to do and which I followed every step of the way since their very first reveals (June 2011 in Dishonored's case iirc) was The Witcher 2. Think that's probably obvious since the majority of my posts in the 2012 thread have all been related to Dishonored and the only upcoming game I've usually talked about on IRC has been it too lol.
Still several other 2012 releases I'm really looking forward to playing as well mind you; The new Hitman game now I know it will actually play like one, Assassins Creed 3, Far Cry 3 and Rocksmith. Out of all of them though Dishonored remains my main contender for GOTY. It looks fresh, unique and innovative with a great sounding story, gorgeous setting and visual style, and, like a mix of Deus Ex/Hitman/Thief, there's a big emphasis on player choice and consequences. If you want to play the game 100% stealthed without harming a soul you can. It's not some on-rails linear pos with cutscenes at every corner.
I honestly have no doubts that it will be one gem of a game but up until just recently when Bethesda's PR machine properly kicked in there were still tons of people who weren't even aware of it and hearing of it for the first time at events like E3. Even in our 2012 thread I was the only person to have been following it back when I pointed it out. Thankfully it's getting a lot of advertisement now and building up the hype in general but I hope this hasn't done any harm.
My only hope is that it's a success for them and that it sells really well. If it does maybe we'll get more games like it in the future and not just from those guys but from other Developers wanting to try something different for a change too. Releasing a new IP like this at the end of a console cycle could go against them too and I think some are underestimating just how good or important a game like this actually is tbh, imo at least.

So, who's pumped?
I know myself, BD and Ava are :)

If there's any game releasing this year which not only deserves supporting but needs it more than any of the other big releases like the AC franchise then it's Dishonored and Arkane Studios. Hope lots more of you guys will be buying it too!
This will be epic mark my words :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Dishonored

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:47 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Such an addict for this game ;)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:24 pm

M.Steiner
How can you not be? :p
Come back in a few weeks and tell me it wasn't as awesome as I've been building it up to be ;)
;D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Stracius
I've not made it obvious, but yes.

Oh yes.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:17 pm

M.Steiner
Good man! :thumb:

I missed this when it was live so maybe some of you did too. Thankfully some guy has kindly uploaded it all to youtube though so thought I'd post it. Will spoiler tag to keep the page tidy: Live stream demo & Q&A from a couple of days ago. BD and I just watched it earlier, really damn nice :)

Not long now!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:56 pm

M.Steiner
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/p ... ishonored/
If you buy from GMG and add the following voucher code you can get a nice little discount btw guys: GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN

It redeems on Steam and Steam (and GMG without the code) has it priced at £29.99 normally. I'm not sure when the code will expire but it'll bring that down to £22.50. So you'll get a product key for a digital PC copy on steam (on release) but without having to pay the steam price. Nice eh?
Enjoy! :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:54 pm

Stracius
Thanks for that! I hadn't pre-ordered, mostly because the promotion offered via Steam didn't interest me (already own Arx Fatalis). Was waiting to see if another deal would pop up.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:53 pm

SL33PY
if the voucher is still valid i might pre-order... will need to think, gave all my gaming monies to the widow of Sean last month... So I'll have to sweet talk my wife :p

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:03 pm

M.Steiner
Yep, still valid!
Just had a look on their blog actually and it says it will be available for one week. It was posted on Monday so going by that it should expire on the 8th :thumb:
(Can be used against other games on their site as well btw, as long as they're not on special offer already)

I've already got a boxed copy ordered from GAME otherwise I'd be making use of that too. Pretty great deal tbh.
Shame they aren't releasing any Collectors Editions though I must admit. I don't tend to buy many of those nowadays but I'd have been all over one of those for Dishonored if they had. Bit risky for them mind so can understand why they haven't. If this does well enough maybe they'll release one with a possible second game/sequel, game industry needs more games like this :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:12 pm

SL33PY
it says 49.99€ apparently there is no special action? besides the code that is
with the code 37.5€ and not 27 as it would have been if it were £30

edit: I can get the shadow rat pack dlc for free if i order a boxed copy, which they promise to deliver on release day....

edit: bought it at the other store, i pay a bit more, but i get the dlc included seems like a good deal to me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:07 pm

M.Steiner
Hot off the press:

(Hiding vid make tidy)
Reviews should start appearing on Monday (or late Sun) I think. Hopefully those will shine and encourage more people to grab a copy, I expect some are waiting on those to judge whether they should buy or not.
Not long to wait now anyway! :D
and SL33PY gets a cookie for supporting the new IP too ^^ ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:28 am

SL33PY
I'll keep you to your promise. When I get to the UK for holidays or some such, I'll pass by and expect my cookie, it better be good! :D

Also can't view trailer yet, youtube is blocked at work :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:30 pm

M.Steiner
Reviews are starting to come in now though they won't officially start until tomorrow as this one was made public by accident. - The original upload has since been made private but since it's already out there here's what they had to say:

(hiding review trailer to make tidy) :thumb:

Will post some more reviews & scores tomorrow for those of you waiting on them :)

[Edit]
Second review: http://www.shacknews.com/article/76096/ ... le-playing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:52 am

M.Steiner
List from: http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/07/dishono ... ores-here/
Each review is individually linked there too if you want to read them but I think the scores speak for themselves:
GameArena – 10
The Escapist – 5/5
Ausgamers – 9.6
CVG – 9.5
GamesMaster – 95%
Atomic – 95%
IGN – 9.2
PC Gamer – 92/100
Digital Spy – 4/5
InsideGames – 92/100
JeuxVideo – 19/20
Polygon – 9
Destructoid – 9
EDGE – 9
OPM UK – 9
Strategy Informer – 9/10
Gamespot – 9
Gamefront – 90/100
Joystiq – 4.5/5
GameSpy – 4.5/5
G4TV – 4.5/5
1UP – A+
GameInformer (US) – 8.75
Eurogamer – 8
GiantBomb – 4/5
Kotaku – “YES”
The PA Report – no score
RPS – no score
Shack News – no score
God is a Geek – 10/10
HardGame2 – 9.5/10
TheSixthAxis – 9/10
Videogamer - 8/10
GamerZines – 95/100
ShopTo – ‘Excellent’
Mundogamers – 10/10
3djuegos.com – 9.5/10
Tallon4.com – 9.5/10
Hobbyconsolas.com – 94/100
Meristation.com – 9.4/10
Eurogamer.es – 9/10
Blogocio.net - 9/10
(there are more scores (9/10, 10/10, 5/5) which aren't even on this list yet too btw, oh and I haven't just selected the good ones lol. Did a copy&paste :p)

and this is why I've been hyping Dishonored all year people ;)
Some of us have believed in this game since day 1 so none of these reviews tells us anything we didn't already know (or hope would be true rather), they're just confirming what we've been saying to people all year. It's not often a title gets called a "once in a generation kind of game" and its not often we see such a great amount of glowing reviews for the same game either tbh. Can't tell you how happy I was to wake up and see all of these and see the game get the high praise it has deserved, but maybe they'll help to show some of you (not just Anny who I've been trying to convince for ages hehe) how special this game really is and help you see what we've been seeing all this time and why.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/08/wot-i-think-dishonored/ wrote:That’s why Dishonored is important right now. It feels like a game from another timeline, one where Thief and System Shock set the bar for what first-person games could be, leading to designs that were built around intelligent use of space and world-building. I still wish Dishonored were longer but I also recognise that it takes a great deal of skill, hard work and time to create something of this quality; to ask for more in terms of content would be to ask for less in so many other ways. What we really should be asking is for other developers to learn the lessons that Arkane can teach them. Of course, it’s not as simple as that, because for all that there are flaws – there are always flaws – Dishonored is a work of rare imagination and skill, the sort of thing that can’t simply be copied and repeated. I hope I’m wrong, but we may not see its like again for a good while.
Games like these don't come around every day, please support it :thumb:

(I'll post my own thoughts and screenshots once my copy arrives ^^)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:39 pm

M.Steiner
M.Steiner wrote:Just had a look on their blog actually and it says it will be available for one week. It was posted on Monday so going by that it should expire on the 8th :thumb:
The 25% discount code I posted last week has just been extended for those of you daft buggers who still haven't ordered a copy from somewhere :p
Official GMG Blog wrote:Our 25% code has been extended until 1100 UTC October 12th. Anyone who hasn't already pre-purchased the upcoming hits like Dishonored now has that much longer to grab it.

GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN
You won't get it cheaper anywhere else :thumb:

My copy was dispatched early this morning so it should be with me for the EU unlocking on Friday, the wait is torturous!. The sheer amount of glowing reviews don't make it any easier either lol, by far the highest reviewed and received game of the year so far and by both critics and users alike? Hell yes, where the <censored> have people been?!. Much deserved.
So. Any of you guys in the US played it yet? :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Stracius
M.Steiner wrote:So. Any of you guys in the US played it yet? :D
Mmm hmm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:33 pm

Anubis
Site Admin

This does not fill me with confidence.

I kid ;) The reviews look relatively good, but I'm still not sure it's the kind of game that will suit me. We'll see. I may pick it up when I've played the other things I am drifting around right now! Looking forward to your own thoughts!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:28 pm

M.Steiner
lol.
The reviews have been incredibly positive for it yeah, so far this is probably the highest reviewed and most well received game of the year by the looks of it and this makes me very happy heh. All we need to hope now is that it sells well too as there's no reason why we won't see more games like it in the future, and more from the world of Dishonored too if it does. From reading forums these reviews have already got some people buying it who weren't planning on doing just yet or at all which is very encouraging.
I obviously haven't played it yet but it's hard to tell you "if you liked such and such you will probably love this" as games like Thief you haven't played, and only played little bit of Hitman. Though at the same time it doesn't really seem like any other game out there cos you can draw comparisons from several other games too like Deus Ex, Half-Life 2 & Bioshock. Seems like such a unique game really, there's not really 1 single title you can liken it to.

What's exciting for me too is the stealth nature of it and how 100% stealth (and even no kills, no alerting etc) is perfectly possible and about damn time!. Of course you don't have to play it this way if you don't want, and that's part of the beauty of it is you can complete your objective however you see fit. But nowadays stealth games are not what they once were and haven't been for a long time sadly. As with a lot of other genres shit like that is getting dumbed down all the time. Stuff like Splinter Cell and Resident Evil for example losing their focus on hardcore stealth and true survival horror and merging into more of an action game, it's f*ing sad to see when you think back to things like Chaos Theory and RE4. Yet then we get something like Dishonored which does quite the opposite and gives the player full control of their actions and where if you want to play it completely stealthed, even as far as not killing a single person then you can. Or if you want to go all out with your powers, or just be selective with who you decide to kill. All up to the player and perfectly viable. Thankfully the game seems to be doing extremely well so far, need more games like this, It's great to see :)

Hoping my copy arrives tomorrow, if it does I'll be able to play it at midnight when it unlocks in EU. This will depend whether GAME have given Royal Mail strict instructions to only deliver on release day though... So stupid how those of us on this side of the pond have to wait several more days to play something when it's the same platform, same version of the game and we've already paid up. But that's another subject.. lol.

Few comments from BD on IRC too. I'll spoiler tag them since they do contain a tiny amount of language, but to censor them would be to spoil lol
@BlackDove • jesus
@BlackDove • <censored>
@BlackDove • christ
@BlackDove • words can not express how good the game looks
@BlackDove • <censored> oil painting in motion

@BlackDove • Though I'm not qualified to comment on all aspects of the game, because I'm doing more or less a flesh and steel playthrough. But the shit is brillaint. They finally tied gameplay together with what the functions are.
@BlackDove • Yeah, I'm doing flesh and steel which is minimal power use, 0 killed, 0 detected, 0 alerted, everything picked up, all alleyes scavanged and layout burned into memory, etc.

@BlackDove • HERE LIES BLACKDOVE, DROWNED IN HIS OWN CUM AS IT OVERFLOWED IN HIS APARTMENT, AND REACHED THE CEILING LEVEL
@BlackDove • Reviewed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:17 am

SL33PY
Hey MS, Did you take a day off from work tomorrow?

I just hope I'll get it tomorrow, because I haven't heard of any shipping or billing yet :( :(

gona check my account right away..

Nope, they'll send it on release date, :( :( :( :( no dishonored this weekend :( :( :(

also in other news:

Watchdogs is marked for a december 31st release.... I guess Dishonored won't be goty ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:18 pm

M.Steiner
My copy came today (with a Dishonored tarot card deck hehe) so I'll be starting it at midnight tonight when it unlocks. I could use one of the VPN tricks to unlock it early and trick the release date check into thinking I'm an American but I don't think I will, don't want to risk my account and the 200+ games I have on there just incase. It'll unlock in 12 hours anyway so I'll just wait. I've been waiting all year, few more hours won't hurt lol.
And that's crappy that you won't receive your copy in time for release day man :( :(. It's easy for me to say now I suppose but it will be worth the wait!. The same happened with me last year with my copy of the Witcher 2 from Amazon so I know the feeling all too well. I even paid for express delivery to try and ensure I got it for release day but they didn't even begin to process my order and dispatch it until day of release. I was mighty pissed, though they did refund the postage cost which was good of them.
Waiting these last few days knowing so many other people are already happily playing away has been a kick in the balls, especially resisting the urge of grabbing it by other means just until my legit copy arrived which I did not want to do, it was just very tempting.

On the subject of Watch Dogs. That'll just be the retailer putting up a temporary release date, I wouldn't take any notice of it tbh. We won't see that until next year trust me :)
As for 2013 though, yeah, Watch Dogs will be my main contender for GOTY next year too. That being said it may have some tough competition to go up against as we'll also have titles like GTAV, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us etc. Gonna be another good year!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:35 am

SL33PY
As I told you yesterday, I cancelled my copy with the plan to go buy it in a normal store omw home... This morning I got several mails from the site... My copy is shipped at 1:11... :weird: So it might even arrive today :D :thumb:

I really hope it does, would suck to get it on monday :shake:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:22 pm

M.Steiner
Ohh, fingers crossed for ya!
I don't know how your stores work over there but over here (at least with GAME) you can return a game up to 28 days after the date you purchased it (for either a refund or an exchange). But just so long as you have not broken the seal on the box. If you don't live too far away from any stores and they're still open by then, if your copy doesn't look like it's going to arrive today you could always nip down the ship and grab a copy there. Then when your other copy arrives make sure to leave it sealed and send it back for a refund if you can ;)

I started the game last night but for now I'm going to refrain from saying exactly what I want to. This is the main game I've been waiting all year to get my hands on and the one I fully expected to be something really, really special, so I want to make sure I'm not being too biased and my impulse to say what I think now isn't jumping the gun a bit heh. Also need to see some more of the game as I haven't even done the first real mission yet.

I will say this though. This looks to be one of those games which will give back and reward what you decide to put into it. If you're just going to rush from objective to objective and only focus on your main goal all the time I don't see those players getting as much out of this game as they could do, and in a way they're doing themselves a disservice as they're missing out on so much more. I'd played several hours before I'd even been given my powers last night, just taking everything in, exploring the different areas, taking the time to read everything I came across. Speaking of which, there's loads of extra reading material around the place like books, notes & audiograph players. This is one comparison that you could link to Bioshock with the audio tapes actually. This stuff does an excellent job of filling in the world around you and just adding to the story in general.

The interface options are particularly good in this game. You can change elements like your health and mana to "contextual", so apart from when you're in combat and taking damage or whatever they'll basically hide themselves and they don't distract you. You can also turn objective markers off completely so you have to find your way around and locate the objective yourself, same with the crosshair and you can turn other types of markings on and off too. Options like these are fantastic in a game like Dishonored and really do add to the immersion.

The unique art direction of Dishonored is also incredible. Anyone who plays this and then complains about it is either has no sense or appreciation for art or should just go back to playing games like Gears of War with their muddy palettes of browns and greys. That being said I haven't seen many list the graphics and art as a negative (or talk negatively about any part of the game really) so that's a good thing lol.
Sure when you get up close to some of the textures on things they don't have as much definition as you might expect from other titles but they're not supposed to. It's supposed to have that soft, oil-painted look. BD's desciption of it was perfect actually; "it's like a motherf**g oil painting in motion". It really is quite beautiful.
Here are some pics I've taken so far btw. I'll add some more later but if there's a lot of them I'll stick em in a spoiler tag to keep things tidy :)
[Image links removed]

Did a panorama too
[Image links removed]

Even the menu's and tutorial pop-ups look great. Oh and loading times are very fast. Literally just a few seconds.
[Image links removed]
A good tip btw.

Go here: Documents\My Games\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Config
Open: DishonoredInput.ini
Find the line that says: "m_PCBindings=(Name="Zero",Command="GBA_Shortcut_9")"
Straight after this line add a new line with: "m_PCBindings=(Name="F6",Command="ShowHUD true")"
Save it, launch the game and then you can press F6 to completely hide the hud whenever you want. (Can also hold F to put your weapons away). Handy for taking screenshots :thumb:

More comments/pics later! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:29 pm

SL33PY
Does the game play well with a controller? My main fear is that the game's aiming will get totally hard and bogus on a PC when using a controller :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:35 pm

M.Steiner
SL33PY wrote:Does the game play well with a controller? My main fear is that the game's aiming will get totally hard and bogus on a PC when using a controller :(
Can't answer that one I'm afraid. I very rarely use a controller for my PC games as I much prefer mouse & keyboard personally. It's usually just racing games (and the odd game like Rayman Origins) that I end up using a controller with really.
From what I've read though it should automatically map all the buttons for ya when you plug it in, as if you were playing the 360 version I guess. Hopefully you'll find it ok if that's what you prefer using :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:59 pm

SL33PY
plays like a charm! both controller as keyboard mouse combination. The game switches between them flawlesly

I'm amazed by this

Return to “General Discussions”