FTL

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

FTL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Ozone
LIttle indie game I picked up from http://www.ftlgame.com for $10 (bout 6 quid). Started playing for a few minutes last night and 90 minutes later had to shut down to go to bed. Its a simple (appearing) simulation game.

Your in a ship on one side of the galaxy and have to get to the other side, passing through numerous systems as you do so. Systems range from friendly(isn) to neutral, to nasty. Navigation is done on a standard space gaming style star chart - click this system to go there type of thing.

The ship your traveling in is depicted by a simple top down view showing all the rooms (bridge, life support, engines, shields, weapons, etc). You have a crew, unskilled, about 3 or 4 to start. More crew can be hired or picked up later. Each ship system can run unmanned, but when manned gets bonuses (i.e. shields recharge quicker). You move crew around the ship by the 'click crewman, click location'. As a crewman works at a given station, he or she becomes more proficient at it, so its beneficial thinking of one as engineer, one as pilot, etc. The ship also has limited power conduits, so you have to either upgrade your systems (through item purchase, combat salvage, trading, or rewards) or balance your energy use, diverting, say, energy from life support to manage shields during attack - again, all point and click.

As you hop though the systems, events occur - pirate attacks, rebel uprisings, search and rescue missions, etc.. All requiring management of resources. Sometimes you're boarded, sometimes under heavy attack your ship catches fire, sometimes you meet rogue traders, sometimes nothing occurs.

Could go on, but wont.
Worth a $10 investment for a fun way to kill a hour or two here or there.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

Re: FTL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Ah yes. I have this, but haven't yet managed to get round to playing it. I need to make some time...

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. It does appear to have picked up quite the cult following :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:40 pm

Stracius
Played it. Rogue-like game. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Found myself sitting down for a few minutes and walking away hours later just as you did. Fantastic gem helped about via Kickstarter, though prior to the Double Fine fanfare. I do enjoy getting Mantis warriors and a teleportation system along with ship disabling weapons. So many different ways to play through the game.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:41 am

esd
Top game. Annoyingly bought it via steam, to find it came standalone for the same price, but without steam.

After linerider, I should know better :shake:
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

Return to “General Discussions”