E3 2013 - Schedule & Discussion

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: E3 2013 - Schedule & Discussion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:16 pm

M.Steiner
Meant to post this vid earlier.
So buying this game ^^
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:33 pm

M.Steiner
There isn't an official announcement about this yet but there are rumours flying around the internet right now stating that MS are dropping pretty much all of the DRM from Xbox One due to the feedback they have received and will be announcing later today.
Still sticking with my PS4 pre-order regardless of whether it's true or not but pretty big news if it is heh.

[Edit]
http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
The community has spoken!
Xbox 180.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:48 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Wow. What a backtrack - never seen one on such a scale before from anyone. They're pretty much dropped all of their "selling points" for the console.

Utter humiliation for Microsoft, and it's even worse because of how obvious it is that they didn't want to do this. It won't even help them either, as the damage has already been done.

I'll still be sticking with PS4, and I think gamers broadly will still stick with Sony. Sony still have all the advantages here, Microsoft are just scrabbling around trying to catch up.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:45 am

SL33PY
Unfortunately for them, the damage has been done. Remember the launch of the PS3? Sony had a serious backlash there too, and even when they adjusted and adapted, no one really trusted them.

I think MS put itself in a similar position

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:41 am

M.Steiner
Gotta agree with both of you.
I'm sure that some people will no doubt view it as a wonderful move from MS and see it as them redeeming themselves and actually listening to their fans. That's just naive imo.
They're not admitting they were wrong here. They're not saying they are sorry and that their original plans were a mistake. They're sorry they got caught and couldn't get away with it basically.

I find this all rather embarrassing for them tbh - "please buy our console!!". Fact is that's what they really had planned for Xbone owners and they were fully prepared to go ahead with it even after it was made clear how people felt about it. It is really just Sony and E3 people have to thank for them changing, not because they gave a crap. I wouldn't trust them at all quite honestly. Plus their console is still more expensive etc..
Know what I find kinda amusing as well?. Hearing Don Mattrick's solution for individuals in the military (or without a reliable connection or in a part of the world other where they would allow you to connect) straight from his mouth was to just play the 360, and now seeing that he's the one who posted the "Your Feedback Matters" update. Whatever lol.
Tis embarrassing as I say and just reeks of desperation heh.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:35 pm

Kon
This doesn't address the issue of the always-on microphone and full HD camera in the new Kinect, which is still required to power on the system. The thing can even track your eye movements, for god's sake. Personally I think that's a bigger issue than the DRM. In the E3 presentation, they actually suggested that when streaming Netflix, the Kinect could scan your living room to see how many people are watching. This would change the targeted ads that are built into the non-game apps, and possibly even incur some additional fees.

It's still not clear if this addresses the concern that they would be cutting off the majority of the international market. This issue was briefly touched on by Eurogamer, who mentioned that the Xbox One would not launch in Poland. I went ahead and did some of my own quick research. I looked at the official list of Xbox One-supported countries, as well as the current list of countries that supports Xbox Live. I made this map so that you can see the scale of the problem.

This is significant for a number of reasons. It's worth noting that the Xbox One is not planning to launch in Japan. Even more important is the fact that the validating DRM means that Xbox One only works in countries which not only support Xbox Live, but have specifically localized hardware.

Even in countries which support Xbox Live, people will not be able to import a console from another country. Eurogamer confirmed from a Microsoft rep that Polish gamers would want to "wait" for the Polish hardware, since even though Poland supports Live, a British or German console would not validate through a Polish account. This is particularly important to countries like Korea or some EU countries where they never get localized hardware, but import a lot of consumer goods. In the case of Korea, I know that all game hardware is imported from both the US and Japan. There's never been a "Korean version" of a console.

Obviously, the DRM scheme was even more hopeless for people in places like Ukraine or the Philippines, where Microsoft doesn't even allow you to make a Live account. These countries have a decent population of gamers, but an Xbox one would be literally useless to them.

I think the real reason for this backpedaling may be because they realized they were passing on all those international customers for no reason at all. Although, I'm still not sure how international consumers will get past the one-time validation during console setup.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:29 am

M.Steiner
The (alleged) truth behind the family sharing feature:
Source wrote:"The premise is simple and elegant, when you buy your games for Xbox One, you can set any of them to be part of your shared library. Anyone who you deem to be family had access to these games regardless of where they are in the world. There was never any catch to that, they didn’t have to share the same billing address or physical address it could be anyone. When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game..."
hahaha. They sure failed to mention this little detail assuming this is legit, didn't they?
It's no wonder that feature sounded too good to be true, it was just a glorified bloody demo lol.

^and yeah, wouldn't want that invasive crap anywhere in my home.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Anubis
Site Admin

:lol:

Also, in response to Kahn, apparently there is a Korean version of a console now! New PS3 Models Filed By Sony For Certification in South Korea
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:01 am

Thunderbird
I'm pretty sure the Wii has a Korean version as well :p.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:21 am

Thunderbird
Actually, looking at some information for each console, all three 7th generation consoles were released in Korea. 3DS is also present there, though the Wii U has not yet seen a Korean version.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:12 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Thunderbird wrote:Actually, looking at some information for each console, all three 7th generation consoles were released in Korea. 3DS is also present there, though the Wii U has not yet seen a Korean version.
Kahn has failed! Good work Tbird :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:33 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Mattrick Quits Microsoft

Final piece of E3 fallout maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:37 am

SL33PY
he moves to Zynga... thank god he left Microsoft

I have no love for Zynga

Return to “General Discussions”