WildStar ~ an upcoming MMORPG

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

WildStar ~ an upcoming MMORPG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:20 am

M.Steiner
Anyone else been following this here game known as WildStar? - [http://www.wildstar-online.com]
Not many seem to know of this on IRC when I've asked so thought I'd post here and introduce some of you to it!
Wanna see some more? Try these DevSpeak vids. Lots more gameplay and information in these!
Looks really promising from what I have seen and with ex-Blizzard devs working on this as well (from vanilla WoW) I'm kinda pumped for it tbh. (Tim Cain (Fallout, Bloodlines etc) was the lead design director on WildStar before he joined Obsidian too btw. Whilst he's obviously no longer one of the developers working on it I'm sure he left his mark there in many ways.)
There are only 2 other MMOs I have an interest for atm (those being FFXIV:ARR & first and foremost, World of Darkness) but WildStar has quickly shot up my list of games I'm looking forward to this year.

Carbine Studios will actually be showing the game off tomorrow at Rezzed as well if any of you fancy watching that (Sun 3PM BST).
Here's the stream for when it goes live:
They're apparently going for a hybrid payment model with this from what I understand, so whilst full details are still unknown atm it will definitely have some level of free-to-play in there. Perhaps like GW2 where you buy the game and then it's free with an item/convenience store, or perhaps like TSW which has subscription options as well as free. Not sure yet. Either way it won't be subscription only like FFXIV.

So, have any of the above videos caught your interest or am I alone here? :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: WildStar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:22 am

Stracius
Bot. Someone delete this account pls.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:43 pm

M.Steiner
We get nothing but feckin kitchens around here these days, it's about time we had something game related :p

On a serious note, just trying to stir up some interest really. I was just gonna post some screenshots and the first video originally with a link to the others but the vids above detail the factions, housing etc much better than posting a wall of text would and expect to interest people that way. The vids do a better job at that so I figured I'd just add those instead.
It'd be cool to have another MMO for the group to look forward to if the above catch on with others here as well, especially with World of Darkness being so far away still and we've seen absolutely nothing of Blizzard's game. Hoping there's a nice bunch of us and not just me heh.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'll take a look at the panel today, but I must admit that my attention is firmly fixed on FFXIV. It's very unlikely that I'd pick up Wildstar, as I don't have time for more than one MMO (barely have time for one tbh).

Ty for the links etc though regardless mate. Always nice to learn about games I haven't been watching :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:48 pm

M.Steiner
I've been thinking about cancelling my pre-order for FFXIV this weekend actually.
Ideally I would like to be able to see and play WildStar in person before FFXIV releases and that way I can judge them both with the same amount of experience and decide which I want to play. Since I'm not in the beta for that though I can only really judge from what I have seen & read of it in comparison to what I have (and played) of FF, and from that I like the look of WildStar far more if I am honest. Unless this presentation this afternoon turns me off but nothing has yet. Just increases my interest heh.
Haven't decided yet but like you I'd probably only play 1 MMO at a time. Not sure if I want to fork out for FF both for the game and then every month when (assuming it plays as well as it comes across), I'd probably push it aside for WildStar the minute that releases or I get into beta, and then there's other releases (XCOM, Saints Row IV, Rayman Legends, GTAV etc) which release either side of it, some by just a few days even, which would keep taking my attention away from FF whilst I'm playing them, pissing away my gametime for it.. If it had a F2P/hybrid model it wouldn't matter as I could keep jumping in whenever I wanted like any other game without wasting gametime/money. Hmm.

What did you guys make of the videos above anyway? :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Whizbang
While I like the concept of Paths and the graphics are ok, the gameplay itself has me disinterested and makes me feel like this game will just be another 'meh' MMO in an already flooded market of such.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:34 pm

M.Steiner
The combat in this looks a lot more fun to me than what TOR had for one, I wasn't a massive fan of the way GW2 did some of theirs either or how they did away with proper tanks & healers, and FFXIV seems pretty standard too from what I have seen and played of it. To me, WildStar comes across as both familiar but fresh at the same time.

- I have wanted a decent housing system in an MMO ever since the days of Neocron and I love how they appear to have put so much focus & effort into this feature for WildStar. Awesome.
- Warplots sound very interesting. Looking forward to learning more about those and the other pvp systems in the game.
- Seamless world (pretty much). I for one hate it when MMOs are heavily instanced and split up into "zones". WoW still did their gameworld better than any other MMO I have played. How you could basically ride all the way from STV to EPL if you wanted. Just stroll from one zone to another without seeing a loading screen. WildStar sounds like it will be very similar to that and it's about time.
- How the gameworld can be dynamically changed by the players.
- The path system to tailor the experience to how you like to play and reward you for doing so.
- Absolutely adore the art style of the game and the humour they're going for.
- Enemies won't just stand still or patrol a small area 100% of the time like in most MMOs. Predators will actually hunt prey and mobs will go find water in the environment when they need to drink.
etc.

Still lots more to hear info on like the crafting systems, world pvp, battlegrounds etc and stuff like that but I love what I'm seeing so far.
Plus they're still in closed beta atm so I'm sure lots of features and mechnics in the game will have been tweaked, added, removed, rebalanced or whatever between now and release based on the feedback they'll be getting from testers.

I was saying to Anny yesterday, it is a shame we don't already have a bunch of us here interested in this. Their beta application form has a section for guild details such as membership numbers, leaders name, website etc which I had to leave blank as they will (at some point) be specifically looking to invite gaming groups to help test the Guild vs Guild content like warplots.
Anyway, the game is looking great imo. Hopefully it'll start to gain some attention here too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:46 am

M.Steiner
http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/ ... rumble.php

Rivals List
  • Rivals may be added from either faction.
  • Anyone on your Rivals List can be marked in the open world with a unique visual representation. Use this to track down nemeses of the opposite faction, or duel with one of your favorite friends!
Very nice indeed. Something like this would be great to see in all MMOs where opposing factions & open world PvP are a big part of the game really. Me likes.
Not sure if new beta invites went out with this new or not?, I didn't get one so I will hope they haven't just yet and keep my fingers crossed haha.

It's kinda funny how this game seemed to come out of nowhere for me pretty much and just shot up my list like that.
Saying that though, what's interesting to see is it's still not as well known as some of the other upcoming MMOs out there which are either in beta as well or still in early development, yet it's higher on the hype scale than FFXIV, WoD & ESO on MMORPG.com. I know that may not amount to much at the end of the day and is just limited to that site and its users but it's encouraging to see that I'm not the only one who's incredibly hyped for this.
Anubis wrote:I'll take a look at the panel today, but I must admit that my attention is firmly fixed on FFXIV.
So what did you think of the presentation, mate? Caught your interest any?
Something you can see yourself giving a try at least? :)

Re: WildStar ~ an upcoming MMORPG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:23 pm

SL33PY
the whole premise can only get me to say.. "meh" So I think I'll pass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:24 pm

M.Steiner
You guys are no fun! :p
Looking like I'll be finding another group to play this with :<

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:37 am

M.Steiner
New DevSpeak vid!
Still hoping to get a few people here interested in this. At least I can say I tried! ;)

Serious question here though. Firefall seemed to be the big thing for a few of you guys last year, constantly being talked about in IRC and spoken very highly of. Besides that being a first-person shooter MMO with jetpacks n' shit, what drew you guys to Firefall in particular? What was so great about it? Was it just the potential you thought it had rather than what was actually implemented, or?
From what I understand (and I could be mistaken here so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) it still doesn't have any proper storyline missions to progress through. WildStar obviously does.
No battlegrounds, just small scale unrated pvp. WildStar has battlegrounds, warplots (for guild vs guild) and both rated and unrated arena's.
Still no world pvp, no guild vs guild, no housing, no raiding, very small gameworld compared to other MMOs so exploration isn't really a thing either, and I'm going to assume since it has none of the previous that there's probably no real endgame content either etc?.

To me it just seems to be limited to player progression through obtaining and upgrading your battleframes/gear by either thumping (alone or with a squad), small scale pvp or engaging in dynamic missions which don't seem to have much variation and then crafting with the resources you've gathered or buying/selling off their marketplace.
Don't get me wrong here btw, I'm not slagging the game off or anything and I'd still be up for joining you guys in there if we get a proper new group going (I bought a founders pack after all).. It just (to me) never seemed to offer very much content in general or great appeal compared to other MMOs (yes, like WildStar) yet there was obviously an interest for it even if that has died down now?. Yet something like WildStar which has a great team behind it too already seems to offer sooo much more and for lots of different types of players too, doesn't seem to have any interest here at all atm?. Kinda disappointing when my own hype for it is so high but because of that it does make me wonder why there was interest for a game with (seemingly) little content yet none for this one. I don't really understand that?. What is it you look for in an MMO which Firefall must've had? ^See above questions too. /rant over! hehe.
Will continue to post any upcoming vids and interesting details too just incase that changes though, or at least until I start to feel like I'm talking to myself lol. Apart from GW2 where everyone seemed to go off in with other groups instead, myself included, every single MMO I have subbed to in the past has been played with you guys so I'll be honest and say the thought of playing WildStar alone or with a different group doesn't appeal to me so much.
Says it all when my time in SW:TOR, a franchise which I've never really been a fan of or had any particular interest for over the years, lasted longer than my time in GW2 which I had a much bigger personal interest in :)

Return to “General Discussions”