SSX WildStar Beta Giveaway!

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

SSX WildStar Beta Giveaway!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:40 pm

M.Steiner
I'm back with another giveaway, this time for the highly anticipated MMO - WildStar.
It didn't get much attention at the time but you may remember the thread I posted about it last year when I tried to drum up some group interest for it?. Well this is my second attempt heh :p
There have been a few giveaways for the WildStar beta weekends recently but rather than post the links to them (keys go extremely fast and by the time any of you saw my links they will have gone), I managed to secure a few keys for you guys myself.
This is just for the upcoming beta weekend only so not the full closed beta, unfortunately. You do get a good few days with it though so you'd get a nice little taster.

The beta weekend is schedule to run from tomorrow: Friday, 28th February at 7am PST (3pm GMT) until Sunday, 2nd March at 11:50pm PST (Monday 3rd March at 7:50 am GMT).
You should enter your key here (will need to create an account if you don't already have one, obviously) where you'll also find the client for download as well. - Run the launcher/patcher as administrator.
[Just to note that the NDA is still in effect for people other than the press so you're not allowed to discuss, stream, share info or pics etc as you'd expect]

If you fancy giving it a try just reply and put your name down and I'll send you a key asap (assuming I still have some). This is something I've eagerly been waiting for so I'm hoping a few of you will give it a go (and hopefully like what you see), maybe this can become our next MMO group when the final game launches if so? :)
I don't have many keys to hand out so first come, first serve and SSX members only.

GLHF :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: SSX WildStar Beta Giveaway!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:03 pm

Whizbang
I'll toss my name in just to see what all the hype is about. I still say it's WOW in space but it's worth a weekend to verify that claim.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:06 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Sadly not free this weekend, so it'd be a pretty wasted invite on me.

Hope you guys have fun though :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:30 pm

M.Steiner
Mechanus wrote:I still say it's WOW in space but it's worth a weekend to verify that claim.
Was just reading this earlier which touches on the comparisons somewhat :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:54 pm

M.Steiner
Sure I can't tempt anyone else into trying it other than Mech?. Still got several keys going spare, enough that a nice little group of you could jump in and check it out together over the weekend if you wanted :thumb:
If not I'll have to see about handing them out somewhere else I suppose. Don't want them to go to waste..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:37 pm

Whizbang
I spent Friday/Saturday/Sunday playing through 4 different classes and was able to get each one to lvl 6 before stopping and trying something else. I have to say that at no time did I feel engaged with the game or the story and that it felt more like jumping through hoops to finish something than to actually participate in the world and accomplish goals. In the end, I felt like I was playing "WOW in space" and by Sunday noon I was deleting the folder off my hard drive.

I think for some people the game will be enjoyable and they'll get a lot out of it. But for me it felt like I had done all of this before and was just rinse-n-repeat'ing through my time in the game.

Thanks for the weekend beta key, MS. I appreciate getting the chance to see what the game was about and validate that it isn't for me. :thumb:
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:45 pm

M.Steiner
nps Mech :)
Ta for giving it a try even though it's not for you :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:22 pm

Futile Resistance
Looking to catch the next beta weekend! I think I was busy with ESO's beta weekend or something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:10 pm

M.Steiner
Do you need a beta key for this weekend, Fut? (Since I don't think there was an event last week?)
I have 1 single key if so, it's yours if you want/need it. Free to anyone else if not :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:33 am

SSX-Andy
Will there be anymore beta weekends?

After being slightly let down of my experience in the ESO beta, I'm on the hunt for another mmo to try out. Seeing how EQ Next wont be ready for beta anytime soon, Wildstar seems like a good candidate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:06 pm

M.Steiner
The schedule looks something like this:

March 21st - 23rd
March 28th - 30th
April 4th - 6th

April 18th - 20th
May 2nd - 4th
-- [Open beta?]
May 31st - Early Access
June 3rd - Release

So there are at least 2 more beta weekends scheduled to run before release. Curse were doing a giveaway for this past weekends I believe so there may be a giveaway or 2 for the April 18th & May 2nd events but you primarily get into these by pre-ordering now. That being said, it has been confirmed that there will be an open beta at some point before launch too so if you don't manage to get in before you hopefully will for that. Not sure just how "open" it'll be or when it'll run exactly but looking at the dates my guess is it will take place where "--" is, after that last weekend and before early access. It wouldn't really fit in anywhere else tbh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:52 pm

M.Steiner
Andy/Fut, check your PM box :thumb:
Seems a few people have had issues activating keys with "The supplied serial code is valid, but it can not be used to create a new account and it can not be applied to any accounts you already have" error message but I think this may only apply if you've already been in the beta before at some point so hopefully you two won't have any issues redeeming the keys I've sent you :)

I have 3 more keys for this upcoming weekend (18th-20th) if anyone else wants one.
Alternatively, there will be several sites doing giveaways during the week, some of which have already started. Full list here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:45 pm

SSX-Andy
Have the beta downloaded and up to date.

Will give it a try tomorrow. Big thanks for the key.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:10 pm

M.Steiner
No probs dude, hope you enjoy your weekend in WildStar ^^ :thumb:
If you (or Fut) know of anyone else who wanted to try it but hasn't managed to get a key from one of the other giveaways just gimme a shout as I've still got a couple keys spare.

[Edit: Did these custom steam grid image if anyone else wants to use one]
Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:12 am

Futile Resistance
SSX-Andy wrote:Have the beta downloaded and up to date.

Will give it a try tomorrow. Big thanks for the key.
Ditto. Updating it now! Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:26 pm

M.Steiner
No probs guys. Hope you both enjoyed it? :)
They appear to have added a bonus weekend for this week too:
Hey all,

We may have "accidentally" announced it early, but it's official: We're doing a bonus weekend starting this Friday! The weekend will run from Friday at 7AM PDT (2PM UTC) through Sunday at 11:59PM PDT (Monday, 7AM UTC). Things to look forward to:
[list]

[*]The level cap has been raised to 25.
[*]New Adventure: War of the Wilds unlocks at level 25!
[*]We're going to be inviting every person who ever signed up for WildStar beta to this weekend's event. That's a lot of people, so you'll have plenty of friends to team up with for Battlegrounds, Dungeons, Adventures, and more![/list]

We're really excited to be able to add another weekend into the beta schedule. If you want access to all the remaining weekends (plus some sweet loot), don't forget to pre-order WildStar today!

See you on Friday!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:41 pm

M.Steiner
Should any of you want a little more time with WildStar (or change your mind and decide you want to give it a try), open beta starts this Thursday (8th) and runs until May 18th.
Early access begins on the 31st with launch on June 3rd so outside of the three 7 day guest passes we get with our copy of the game, this will be the last opportunity to jump in and try the game for free if you want to :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:01 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I might put a little more time in depending on how much time I find myself with!

Thanks muchly for keeping us updated mate :thumb:
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:58 am

Futile Resistance
I had a decent enough time but didn't experience any PvP which is, what I hear, the fun part of the game.

I really wish it intuitively supported controllers (instead of my mapping a bunch of buttons to Xpadder) as it seemed like that would make it bit more action MMO-ish. I got tired of hitting "1" over and over.

Still, thanks for keeping the hype up MS. I'll probably throw some more time in Open Beta.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:00 pm

M.Steiner
Futile Resistance wrote:I got tired of hitting "1" over and over.
"Hold to continue casting" in the combat options may help with that, and ofc as you level up and gain access to more ability slots you won't be having to use that first ability quite as much as you do earlier on :)

As for PvP, there's several different types of pvp in the game to get stuck into. From arenas and battlegrounds (both rated and practice grounds) to open world pvp and warplots. The first you get access to (iirc) is Walatiki Temple at around level 6. You can access that via the group finder button on the bottom left menu and practice grounds. This particular battleground is similar to CTF style gameplay and is the only bit of pvp I've experienced so far myself. Rather fun but it did take me a bit of getting used to as it's quite fast paced compared to what I'm used to in MMOs. Everytime I've queued for a WT game I've only had to wait maybe 20 seconds at most so you don't have to sit around waiting to find a game/group, plus you can earn regular exp by participating in those too.

Tons of PvE content in there as well ofc (and housing which is a pretty huge feature in WildStar in itself <3) so there's something for everyone really.
It's also worth mentioning that the the beginning/tutorial areas and first few levels aren't anything to write home about but it gets much better once you get out and about. The game also becomes more challenging then too which is a welcome change. I haven't done any dungeons yet (I was already sold on the game early on so I want to leave as much content as I can untouched) but these seem to get a lot of praise too. Have to constantly be on your toes, pay attention and learn tactics, can't just breeze through them like trash mobs.

This may be of interest to you btw, Anny:
http://wildstarreport.com/2014/05/07/wi ... open-beta/

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:53 pm

M.Steiner
For anyone interested, WildStar screenshot blowout!
Loving the art style personally.

All were taken in Exile zones apart for the last 3 snowy ones (Whitevale) which is contested. Pic 7 is also the battleground, Walatiki Temple.
Pic 10 shows a group of us taking on a lvl 22 world boss (Doomthorn the Ancient).
Fourth picture from last (12) is my Woolie Mount. First mounts become available at lvl 15 for 10g and you get a choice of 4, then again at level 25 with the hoverboard.
(If I take any pics from housing, dungeons or more pvp later I may share a few of those too. Will see...)

Just for reference I'd consider levels 1-3 as your instanced tutorials (which you can't return to), 3-6 as your typical starting zone and 6-14 still pretty much the newbie experience to a degree too. At 14+ the game will start to become a lot more enjoyable, challenging and open up more group content for you like adventures (first is at lvl 15) and dungeons (first at 20).
With this being said, I'd make sure to clear at least levels 1-6 otherwise you won't have even made it out of the basic tutorial area and starting zone. It's not a bad experience or anything but it shouldn't be what you use to judge the game as a whole. If you're limited for time then 6-14 will still give you a decent enough taster but 14+ is much more representative I would say. By this point the difficulty will start to ramp up, you'll be able to do a tiny bit of pvp, experience more group content (if you wish), get your mount, see player housing etc.
Also it should go without saying but if you're not feeling one particular class or the style of combat it offers, maybe try another class instead or change your action set around a bit if you have a nice selection of abilities by that point. I'm playing an esper atm (my third class) and really liked their style and skillset though wasn't so fond of the lack of mobility I had in comparison to a couple of the other classes I'd tried, and mobility is quite a big thing in WildStar as it's not one of those MMOs where you're rooted to the floor 90% of the time. Completely changed my loadout with abilities I can use whilst moving and I'm enjoying the class (and thus the game) sooo much more now.

Anyway that is all!... There's still another 6 days of Open Beta left before it closes in preparation for early access and release btw ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:23 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Awesome pics oh master of screenshots!

The art is beautiful, I'll give it that much :)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:27 pm

M.Steiner
Thankies <3
I don't have the game running at max either btw. I turned a few settings down (like the draw distance and shadows) to increase my frame rate a bit ;)

Last 2 pics from beta:
This is the first Dominion zone, Deradune. (Excluding the tutorial area and starter zone that is).

I've now played a Medic (lvl 8), Stalker (lvl 12), Spellslinger (lvl 21) and Esper (lvl 23) so the only 2 I haven't had a play around with yet are the Engineer and Warrior classes. Still leaning towards the esper atm but the spellslinger is tempting me too heh. May try the engi before beta is over as well but we'll see.

3 days left of open beta btw :)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:43 am

SL33PY
Time to get recruiting new bloods!
:D

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:42 pm

M.Steiner
Sl33ps, you know I would have loved nothing more than for WildStar to become our next new SSX group but I just don't see it happening now, unfortunately. Tis a shame because the game is a lot of fun when you get into it, it's not going to lack the content that many MMOs do so early on in their lives (like an endgame), they've got a ton of stuff already in development for post-release and I really do believe the game will be successful. Carbine really seem to have their shit together. There's even have an alternate payment method similar to EVE where you can use a special ingame currency to pay for your subscription.

I've tried several times on and off for 11 months now to drum up some interest for WildStar among our existing members here, even going as far as getting hold of actual beta keys to giveaway here on more than one occasion. Just to entice people in to at least try it, and then hope they enjoy themselves enough to consider playing it at release. Besides the small number of people who took me up on that offer, most of those keys were either given away elsewhere or went to waste. Have tried again with open beta too as these have been perfect opportunities for people to try the game for free, as once we hit release that will no longer be possible outside of the limited number of 7 day guest passes we receive with our copy of the game (three). Had I succeeded in being able to interest enough people into joining me at launch I'd have totally been up for starting a group for us and trying to bring in some new blood together. This has been my hope and intention all along when I've been posting about WildStar. You know I'd even made a little space for it on the timeline for 2014 with the hope that it would one day exist :)

What has now made things worse though is the region restrictions. It is not like Neocron was, or SW:TOR, FFXI etc. Tis like WoW. If you buy a copy of the game in the US, you can only play on US servers. So even if someone like Futile decided to buy the game (who was one of our peeps to give it a try with one of the keys I got hold of), we'd both end up playing on separate severs. Basically Kills any chance of a cross-region division, forcing any potential groups to be split to either EU or US (or both like WoW was). Sucks.

I could have attempted to start a EU SSX group in there on my own, with myself as the only existing SSX member as a founder, but I'll be honest and say I just don't feel up to that. Have always considered myself as more co-leader material or an officer. I'm happy being either of those and helping to assist with the running of things like I've done with recruitment and things in the past, and I'd much rather do stuff like that in a group than to sit back and let others do all the work. TOR was alright too as even though I was at the leader position within the guild, we had a healthy amount of existing members from the get go so I was happy to try and run that as best I could. Trying to build an SSX group up from scratch, alone and with no help? Big difference and too much stress for me I'm afraid. Also trying to get people to buy into our community and Exiles name when you're the only person in that game flying our flag and a single member guild.. ain't gonna be easy. Much better to start a new group with a good foundation of existing members to get the ball rolling and then go from there, which is what I was hoping to do with WildStar all this time. Sadly it wasn't to be.

As such I'll most likely end up playing the game with another group unless they have any particular rules I'm not comfortable with. A little sad for me as I've played every other MMO with the SSX and this will be the first time I've had to go elsewhere to find people to play with. I won't count GW2 where I had to do the same there too (and also failed to get people together for an SSX group) as even though it wasn't a group of ours, it was still with friends who were once part of the SSX WoW:EU group and Andy came along too. They weren't all strangers.
That being said, if enough people here later change their mind and decide to play the game after release I'd still be interested in starting an SSX WildStar group, assuming I'm still playing the game ofc. SSX will always come first for me but for things like this I gotta be met half way. I'm not QD or BD when it comes to that kind of leadership and group building :)

Return to “General Discussions”