Facebook buys Oculus

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Facebook buys Oculus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:16 am

SSX-Andy
So it appears the rumours are true:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/25/face ... 2-billion/

I see this as unfortunate. However much Zuckerberg claims that Ocolus will be allowed to do their own things, the chances for an open system that can be used by all developers without interference just got lower.

Facebook will want to make money out of this some way.

Re: Facebook buys Oculus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:39 pm

M.Steiner
R.I.P. Oculus Rift.
I'd be pissed if I was one of their Kickstarter backers. Glad I'm not.

Markus Persson : https://twitter.com/notch/status/448586381565390848 wrote: We were in talks about maybe bringing a version of Minecraft to Oculus. I just cancelled that deal. Facebook creeps me out.
From his blog : http://notch.net/2014/03/virtual-reality-is-going-to-change-the-world/ wrote:Facebook is not a company of grass-roots tech enthusiasts. Facebook is not a game tech company. Facebook has a history of caring about building user numbers, and nothing but building user numbers. People have made games for Facebook platforms before, and while it worked great for a while, they were stuck in a very unfortunate position when Facebook eventually changed the platform to better fit the social experience they were trying to build.

Don’t get me wrong, VR is not bad for social. In fact, I think social could become one of the biggest applications of VR. Being able to sit in a virtual living room and see your friend’s avatar? Business meetings? Virtual cinemas where you feel like you’re actually watching the movie with your friend who is seven time zones away?

But I don’t want to work with social, I want to work with games.

Fortunately, the rise of Oculus coincided with competitors emerging. None of them are perfect, but competition is a very good thing. If this means there will be more competition, and VR keeps getting better, I am going to be a very happy boy. I definitely want to be a part of VR, but I will not work with Facebook. Their motives are too unclear and shifting, and they haven’t historically been a stable platform. There’s nothing about their history that makes me trust them, and that makes them seem creepy to me.

And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition.
[/size]
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:07 am

esd
Must admit it *was* on my Chrimble wishlist. Not anymore.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:05 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Yeah, this pretty much kills any interest I had too :blank:

Shame, because when I got to play around with it at cons it seemed like a really cool device too...
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Return to “General Discussions”