Watch_Dogs

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Watch_Dogs

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:21 pm

M.Steiner
<censored> me. Yep, I was worrying about nothing:

Well, you can't ask for better service than that can you? 4 days before release.
<3 Ubi Store.

I haven't finished Wolfenstein yet!
So excited. I feel like a <censored> child haha :p
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: 2014 Game Releases

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:31 pm

SL33PY
I hate you

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:52 pm

M.Steiner
Better a crazy hyped fan like myself have their legit copy arrive early than some dirty pirate getting in there first, which is usually what happens ;)
Uplay game too so there's no release lock like there is on steam!

I've taken a few screenshots for you guys:
Take note that this is only running on high. There are far better AA options above this as well as ultra graphical settings. As such the PC version will look better than this, if your system is up to it ofc. I may find myself having to bump myself down to medium depending on the rest of the game as the frame rate does jump about a bit when trying to drive at a decent speed. Will see on that. If I do I may have been better buying the PS4 version for now (as high = PS4 from what I gather) but not to worry if so. Sl33py, the game should look awesome for you now that you've got those sexy new cards. You'll have to post some pics when your copy arrives!. My PC cries if I try to bump everything up as far as they will go hehe.

I've actually played very, very little. I won't receive my season pass code until release day, or my Uplay outfit packs. Just done a couple of missions and getting a feel for everything really.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:01 pm

M.Steiner
Game has been really great so far :)
Only finished Act I of the main story (and a tiny bit of II) but so far so good. I won't spoil any missions.
I've spent most of my time doing side stuff, exploring, multiplayer and generally just getting a feel for the game and its mechanics. The game wasn't as easy to jump straight into as GTA due to all the surveillance, hacks and how the activities are much different in this game due to them, but I'm really hooked now. There's lots of stuff to do and tis quite easy to get lost in all of that and find yourself straying from the story missions.
I wasn't so keen on the driving at first but this is just a personal preference more than anything. I much prefer simulation style driving (as some of you may know), much like GTAIV, Mafia II, GTAV too even. The driving in Watch Dogs is very much on the arcadey side of things so people like Anny will probably love it. That being said, it's not as arcadey as say, the Saints Row games or Sleeping Dogs (thankfully) as the vehicles do still have some weight to them BUT after I'd spent some time getting used to the handing and feel of the vehicles I'm beginning to like it now. I still prefer the other games mentioned when it comes to driving but at least WD' has been growing on me since. Cockpit view is awesome as well I may add.

Multiplayer has been a blast. So far I've tried the hacking mode and tailing.
For the hack mode it's your job to hack another player. Once you start the hack the other player is alerted to your presence and the area around you is circled out on the mini-map, the radius of which will begin to get smaller as the other player searches for you. During this time it's your job to hide, blend in and evade the other player without being profiled by them, until your percent bar reaches 100% and you complete the hack. If you're spotted? your objective is to then escape whilst the other players is to take you down. You gain/lose notoriety points (which are just for multiplayer) depending on the outcome which then lead to unlocks, like increased bullet damage to cars (iirc).

As for the tailing mode, which I'd probably say has been my favourite of the 2 I've tried. You are to observe the other player going about their business. Unlike the other mode they are not alerted to your presence and your surrounding area is not circled out on the map. You are to follow them about and observe what they're doing until you reach 100%. Keeping back and driving around in and among other traffic (whilst not driving like a lunatic and drawing attention to yourself), hiding around corners, parking up and hiding below the steering wheel etc. If you do it well you can be in and out and they'll never know you were there. If they spot you (profile you)?. Same again, your objective becomes to escape and the other players is to take you down.
You can <censored> with them too if you want. Start using your hacks and shit around them causing chaos, create a blackout etc. To say I wasn't even interested in multiplayer some months ago it's <censored> brilliant, really well implemented and such a refreshing (and WD appropriate) style of play. I love it.

Graphics/performance wise. I am only running it on high as already said but from the screens I've seen of the PC version on ultra, no it doesn't look quite as good as the original 2012 reveal and I do think that was an unfair representation of the game in terms of a true "next-gen" experience of graphics. But you know what? I don't really care tbh. The game still looks <censored> sweet, especially during the night time and when it's raining and even if it did still look like that I wouldn't have been able to run it lol. Atm I'm getting around 30-40fps I'd say, which obviously isn't a smooth 60 but I could trade graphics for performance a bit more if needed. Hasn't been an issue as of yet though.
The "downgrade" has been such a hot topic for a while now and the only thing some of the haters have been able to talk about. Surrounding the game in negativity to a degree. Even Anny cancelled his Dedsec edition and just went with bog standard due to it I think?. I've tried not to let it bother me but when you're really looking forward to a game and you keep seeing people bitching about the graphics at every opportunity, people who, like myself, haven't actually played the game either... it does grate on you after a while. GTAV had clearly been "downgraded" too if you compare earlier screenshots and footage with what we ultimately got to play but of course that's R* and everyone loves GTA. At the end of the day GTAV wasn't going to break any awards for its graphics but it was still an incredible game. These last few days has been quite different with Watch Dogs though. From all the impressions I've seen from other people who have received early copies, it's all mostly positive. Not just that though but some people seem to be coming around to the idea that there might be a great game there, now they can look past the visuals. It's nice to see and I hope the game continues to win over some of the past haters. Sure it doesn't look as amazing as it did in 2012 and the night time does look much better than the game does in the day, but it's not a bad looking game by any stretch of the imagination.

I edited out my initial comparison as it turned out to be not quite as accurate as I first thought. I went in expecting the game to be Person of Interest meets GTA/Assassin's Creed and to a degree it is. The concept of the game is still very much like Person of Interest. Along with the camera views, profiling people, preventing crimes etc. If you have never watched that show before then I say again, you should. If you're interested in this game at all you will like PoI. One of the best shows on tv and if the Watch Dogs devs didn't draw any influences from the show I'd be very, very surprised.
It does share similarities to GTA & Assassin's Creed too but less than I thought it would. Yes it's an open world city which you can drive around in, engage in side activites and generally just muck about etc, and opening up your map to find additional points of interest and enable profiling in a particular district is very similar to both Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 3. But from what I've played so far, from a gameplay perspective I'd put it much closer to an open world Splinter Cell. Surprisingly enough. There's quite a bit of stealth in there which has been a welcome surprise.

Anyhow.. It sucks that you guys aren't able to play it yet too but know that (at least going from what I've played so far), it should be worth the wait. Thought you'd appreciate some impressions in the mean time!
Whether the game will ultimately match up to the likes of GTAV as a similar open world game or whether the story and world of Watch Dogs will reach the heights of the awesome Person of Interest, it remains to be seen. I've loved what I've seen and played of it so far though and from those bits alone I'd already say it's my favourite game of the year so far, but fingers crossed. I hope it reviews well and I look forward to hearing what you guys think of it during the week too. Only a couple days left! :thumb:

Re: Watch_Dogs

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:19 pm

SL33PY
I scrolled down fast, still hate you :(

haven't heard anything about my copy :( :(

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:49 pm

M.Steiner
Glad I spent the time writing that up then :p

On a serious note, have you not received any dispatch e-mails at all? :(
Don't worry too much if your order status doesn't say shipped/dispatched btw. Mine still says:

Order Number: xxxxxxxxxxx
Order Date: 31/03/2014
Order Status: Order in Process

and as you're well aware I've already received my copy. I did receive a shipped e-mail earlier on in the week though.
That being said, if they haven't dispatched it yet I would assume they'll be sending yours on Monday with overnight shipping to arrive Tuesday. I've had that happen with some of my pre-orders before when I wasn't expecting to receive them for release day. Will keep my fingers crossed for ya.

[Edit]
Oh I forgot to say. You might wanna ramp the look sensitivity up to 100% on the mouse controls as the default value feels like shit when you're trying to aim a gun.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:31 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Haha. I at least enjoyed your essay MS ;) Good post as always, and some awesome shots!

I'm expecting my copy to arrive tomorrow, but I need to finish my Witcher 2 replay before I start it. Thankfully got this week off work, so that won't take too long I'm sure :D
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:06 am

SL33PY
My order is in the same status only my order date is September '13, but no, I didn't receive any communication about it being underway :(

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:39 am

SL33PY
I finally got the notice that my order is shipped. I think it's <censored> that the early peeps didn't get their copy before people that decided later.

TL;DR MS I still hate you, but yeeey my order is incomming :D

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:44 am

M.Steiner
SL33PY wrote:I think it's <censored> that the early peeps didn't get their copy before people that decided later.
The reason I received my copy so early is all down to the release date they chose tbh. It's a bank holiday here today (meaning no deliveries) so they will have chosen to dispatch it sooner than normal to ensure I received it in time. I also lucked out in the fact that it was Yodel who delivered my parcel (the tracker said UPS but that was incorrect and must have been why the thing wasn't working for me) as when I've had things delivered from them before they've usually been on the earlier side of the delivery estimate. Put both together and we know what happened. (Other people playing early is mostly down to local retailers breaking street date, pirates aside). This is the earliest I've ever received a pre-order.
Also, technically I kind of am one of the "early peeps" too. I had my Dedsec edition pre-ordered at the beginning of May of last year, just a couple of days after they announced those editions and I posted about them. I just decided to swap it for the Uplay exclusive edition instead which is why that order date was only from March :)

Besides!, you get to play lots of games before I do with your VPN hax lol. Unlocking games on steam before their EU release :p
Anyway. I'm glad your copy is on the way dude. It does suck that I've been able to play knowing the rest of you have been looking forward to the game just as much but you're almost there now :D

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:52 am

SL33PY
It's not a Hax, I think it's just wrong from the online platform holders to keep a release locked for a certain region for several days, even tough the code base is 100% identical. It's just evening out the playfield :)

btw, you can has VPN too if you want :)

I just hope my package arrives tomorrow or the day after the latest, cause Thursday we have a holiday and I want to play this game SOOOO bad

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:06 pm

M.Steiner
Aye, I agree. I don't see why they can't just make a thing of releasing games worldwide on the same day like this is doing (early copies aside). Would be much fairer.
I'm not sure how easy it would have been for them to do but in the case of Watch Dogs and all these early copies & broken street dates out there, it would have been nice if they had pulled the release forward a few days and just said to hell with it, let people play already.

The pirated copies tend to annoy me most though when it comes to releases. Pisses me off when I've pre-ordered a game and I'm supporting said developer and then you see X amount of people downloading it illegally, paying <censored> all and then happily playing away. Yet those of us who have bought legit have to sit and wait for our copies to arrive or even unlock at a specific time for our region if it's on steam. Kinda sucks.

Speaking of which though:
Watch Dogs torrent secretly installing a Bitcoin miner on thousands of computers
:lol: :lol:
The irony, I love it.

Fingers crossed for your copy arriving tomorrow!. Since they've just dispatched it I'd fully expect it to be coming with next day delivery. Would be surprised if not :)

oh btw. Don't know if any of you use the "grid" view in steam or add non-steam games to your library to be able to launch them through the steam client but I did a few grid images for Watch Dogs last month:
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Just right click the game image (whilst in grid view ofc) and choose "set custom image...". (And "Add a game > Add a non-steam game" in the bottom left corner to put your Uplay copy in there).
Feel free to use :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:35 pm

M.Steiner
All of you guys are nvidia users, right?
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articl ... og-drivers :thumb:

[Edit]
Reviews:

3/5 Giantbomb
7/10 Eurogamer
8/10 Destructoid
8/10 Gamespot
8/10 Polygon
4/5 Joystiq
8.4/10 IGN
8.5/10 Gameinformer
4.5/5 Escapist
8.7/10 PC Gamer
8.9/10 Gametrailers
9/10 CVG

Pretty good really to say this is the first Watch Dogs title. Good to see :)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
My copy arrived today :) Going to finish off my Witcher 2 replay in the next day or so and then jump on it. Looking forward to it :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:16 pm

SL33PY
It arrived :) and yes, NVIDIA all the way

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:25 pm

M.Steiner
Yay, good to hear.
Hope you guys enjoy! (Mech too as I assume he will have received his key from GMG this morning) ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:33 pm

M.Steiner
Well, it's lookling like me (and lots of other people) may have had our save files corrupted.

I've been playing fine since Friday as you all know but when I tried to resume my game yesterday evening I just can't get into the game. I can make it to the main menu but when I click "continue" my game starts to load but then freezes at about 90% and the game stops responding. It does this everytime I try to continue my game.
The only thing I have done inbetween successfully playing and having it freeze on me is to install the new AMD drivers but (thinking they may have caused the issue) I reverted back to the ones it has been running fine on. Still the same and people are experiencing it on PS4/XB1 too so it's not limited to just PC. I registered my DLC/Season Pass codes too but I played for a bit after I'd done that too.

Just hope there is something they can do to restore them or whatever. I'd warn for you guys to be careful so you don't run into the same problem but I don't know what has caused it so...
As much as I've been enjoying the game, If I've lost 4 days worth of progress and have to start all over again I'm going to be <censored> pissed. This shit is not cool.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:38 pm

SoulSeeker
I'm playing it on the ps4 so i'm just driving around the city killing innocent people and grabbing cash :)

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:06 am

M.Steiner
:lol:
How's everyone finding the game so far then? :)
Any of you tried the online hacking or tailing yet? ^^

Still waiting on a fix for these corrupt save game/loading issues myself. I was tempted to start a new game but decided not to do that for now. After all, I'd still be at risk of it happening again until they fix whatever is causing the issue in the first place. Disappointed that this had to happen with my most anticipated game of the year but not to worry I guess, as long as they get it fixed and soon. Loved what I played though so can't wait to get back in there.
Glad to see you guys haven't encountered the same problem at least, touch wood!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:15 am

SL33PY
I'm hooked to the point I get my wife upset :D

Also online stuff not working properly afaik

takes to damn long, system is regularly down :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:09 am

SL33PY
It's done... all finished up... loved every bit of it.. My wife is just relieved now :) I'll be going at it more casually to get to 100% progression

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:57 am

M.Steiner
SL33PY wrote:My wife is just relieved now :)
:lol:
So would you say it lived up to your expectations Sl33py?. Story hold up well?. Your GOTY so far I'm guessing?
Also did you play much of the online hacking & tailing? How awesome are those! :D

I am STILL locked out of my game unfortunately... Loved what I played of it and the game itself is still GOTY material for me despite the issues but I'm sorry Ubisoft, this is <censored> ridiculous now.
I dunno what is causing it but more and more people are reporting the same issue as the days go by so it's definitely still happening. Tis why I haven't bothered starting a new game yet, just not risking it. I'm glad that at least some of us here have been able to play and enjoy the damn thing at least (you guys have been very lucky) but this is totally unacceptable. They need to get this shit fixed and fast.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:15 pm

SL33PY
I haven't really gotten into the multiplayer.

As far as the story goes it really compels you to keep playing. Which is good and bad at the same time :)

I'm still going to tidy it all up later on.

edit:

Yes this is my definite GOTY at the moment. It really delivered for me. I'm very happy I upgraded my game rig and I'm able to run the game with all graphical bells and whistles active

Too bad Uplay doesn't track time played, I'm very much interested to know that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:13 pm

M.Steiner
Sounds good. Hopefully I'll get to continue it some day lol :)
At least some sites have started reporting on the save/loading issue now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:05 pm

SL33PY
i'm at 90% completion at the moment, and I'm planning to ease it out to 100%

Any news on a fix for you MS?

Return to “General Discussions”