The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:47 am

M.Steiner
Screenshot dump! :D

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:16 am

addseo1115
Awesome posts.
Thanks for posting your information.
I like all of your posts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:32 am

SL33PY
great pictures as always

the witcher is hurting my health, went to bed at 3:30 am this morning, alarm went off at 6:30 :smack:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:34 pm

M.Steiner
SL33PY wrote:great pictures as always
the witcher is hurting my health, went to bed at 3:30 am this morning, alarm went off at 6:30 :smack:
Thankies!
and lol :D

I'm not sure what my exact playtime is when accounting for reloads/afkness but GOG Galaxy has me at 117hr so far and I haven't been on Skellige for very long. Game is so huge!, and none of it feels like filler/fetch/carry shit either. Infact some of the side quests in this game are better than some main questlines in other games imo. Really great.

Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:18 pm

M.Steiner
Annnd done.
150hrs playtime. Still some ?'s left on the map (Skellige) but completed all contracts, collected every gwent card, full set of mastercrafted bear gear etc.
Radovid dead, Nilfgaard rules. Temeria is restored as a vassal state.
Ciri becomes Empress.
Dijkstra dead, Roche & Ves alive.
The Baron left for the Blue Mountains, looking to cure Anna.
Skellige prospers under Queen Cerys.
Helped the mages flee Novigrad.
Killed Whoreson. Dudu took his place.
Keira & Lambert went off together.
Geralt & Yen live a quiet life together, happily ever after.

The final scenes with Geralt & Ciri were very touching and whilst it would have been great for them to stay together and for Ciri to be a little more "free", if she wanted to make a difference and change anything she couldn't do so by going out to hunt monsters. So yeah, very happy with the Empress ending.

Highlights? The Bloody Baron's story would definitely be one, that has to be one of the best questlines in any game I've played. Ever,
Getting pissed with Lambert & Eskel. Revisiting Kaer Morhen as a Witcher 1 player. The Crones...
I have a lot of "all time favs" but the placement of my personal top 3 games haven't actually changed in around 15 years?. I'm going to let it settle a bit as I've only just finished it but I think The Witcher 3 has just made its way to #1. This game is more than GOTY.

Magnificent
10/10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:05 pm

SL33PY
Lol

100% Same ending :D :D :D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:30 pm

M.Steiner
lol good choices in that case! :D
Lived up to your expectations I hope? Really is a phenomenal piece of work imo :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:14 pm

SL33PY
well the thing i'm unhappy about is the "season pass", since the ceo of cd project red said that all dlc was included with the purchase of the game

and obviously, that's not true

As to the game itself, I've enjoyed it massively, now I know that I can get my sleep deprived ass into bed on time and catch up on some sleep. Totally living up to my nickname atm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:40 pm

M.Steiner
SL33PY wrote:well the thing i'm unhappy about is the "season pass", since the ceo of cd project red said that all dlc was included with the purchase of the game

and obviously, that's not true
They've actually done what they said they would:
http://tmi.kotaku.com/the-witcher-3-guy ... 1595359101

We got 16 DLCs free with the game and the full sized expansion packs (which are an additional 30+hrs of content) are part of the season pass they're charging 20 quid for. Totally fine imo :)
SL33PY wrote:As to the game itself, I've enjoyed it massively, now I know that I can get my sleep deprived ass into bed on time and catch up on some sleep. Totally living up to my nickname atm
hehe. I know the feeling, basically all my shows and anime went to shit whilst I was playing Witcher lol.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:11 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Bump but...

Out of curiosity, what level did you guys end up when you finished the game? I ask because I'm nearing what I'm assuming may be the start of the end of the game:
I'm gathering allies to fight the Wild Hunt at Kaer Morhen
but I'm still only level 28. I expected I'd be a lot higher, since I've done all side content I've found across all maps I've been to, including clearing all the ?'s in Velen/Novigrad (and I'm in the process of doing that for Skellige too), and there's equipment that I want to use at level 34. But no, leveling progress remains slow.

Pondering whether I've missed some substantial chunks of content somewhere (though I'm not sure where), or whether others found this too?
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:27 am

M.Steiner
You're nearing the end, but that is not the end. Still a little way to go! ;D
I was around lvl 34 by the end of the game as I was rockin' my sexy mastercrafted ursine gear. Just.

(Side note: Once you're done with the main game there's Hearts of Stone too ofc. Guessing you may want to play something else next & then come back to that later but either way, it's a must play. You don't need to play it (as in, it's self-contained) but it's a superb bit of storytelling that shouldn't be skipped. Just as good as some of the main games best quest lines :thumb:]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:27 pm

BlackDove
By the time you're done, Blood and Wine will be out as well.

Hearts of Stone is a level 33 quest, meant to be done after finishing the main game. You'll be about 32-34 when you're done.

Note it is the main quest that levels you, not so much the side stuff. Coincidentally, that's how you know how far away you are from the end too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:22 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Thanks guys! I've now finally finished it, expansion aside! :)

I probably finished on about level 35-36 myself. Curious since I did everything I found in the game but the cap is 60? Wonder why it's so high if that's what the content brings you to!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:17 pm

M.Steiner
New game plus, as I believe the enemies start in the 30s for that. Probably capped it at 60 so the game didn't just keep scaling you and the gameworld with every playthrough. That's just a guess though :)

So, how've you found it mate?
  • What were some of your choices and which ending did you ultimately get?
  • Would you agree that TW3 is in a completely different league to the first 2 games (as good as they were), rather than just being more of the same or just a bigger Witcher 2? Likewise, did it exceed your expectations?
  • Has it earned your GOTY title now that you've finished it or would you still say it was Life is Strange?

Going to crack on with Hearts of Stone now or got something else lined up for playing next, then come back to the expansion(s)? :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:41 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I've already started Hearts of Stone as of this afternoon, so definitely cracking on with that! I do want a break before the second expansion ultimately hits though haha - likely to play Arkham Knight and Tomb Raider :)

And ahhh, yes, I forgot all about New Game Plus. That makes complete sense actually, good call!

As to my feelings, your questions first:
Questions first:
  • Hmmm....I think TW3 is a very different kind of game to the first two, just as 2 was very different to 1. I think 3 had a much stronger world, both physically and realised through lore, much stronger side content, mostly better developed characters, and felt much more like a WORLD rather than a game. But at the same time I think that TW2 had the stronger core narrative in some ways. I was certainly more invested in the narrative of 2 from what I recall, in places. One day I'll do a back to back playthrough and compare but those are my initial feelings.
  • I wouldn't say it exceeded my expectations as my expectations were through the roof all along. It definitely met them though - another superb game from the best developers in the world right now imo :) Very glad to have played it and don't regret spending so long on it one bit!
  • I'd still say Life is Strange is my GOTY, having played both to completion. Don't get me wrong, this was an outstanding game, but no game has ever drawn the levels of emotion and investment from me that Life is Strange did. I'll replay this to death in years to come I am sure, but Life is Strange was the better experience for me last year.
And my choices/endings:
I'm not completely sure how the endings and choices were achievable in some cases, in ways other than which I got. But that just means more reason to replay :) So, my choices:
  • I helped Roche and his plotters kill Radovid, then defended them from Dijkstra who tried to claim the North for himself. This meant Temeria (to which I still feel a lot of loyalty) was restored as a vassal state under Nilfgaard.
  • Geralt helped Ciri to feign her own death and conceal it from Emhyr after she defeated the White Frost, and she then trained with Geralt for a time before becoming a full Witcher and striking out on her own.
  • Cerys became Queen of Skellige and led them in a more insular looking, less combative society. They prospered greatly under her.
  • I helped Triss get the mages out of Novigrad. Deprived of magic users, the worshippers of the Eternal Fire then began persecuting and executing non-humans instead.
  • The Baron of Velen committed suicide after finding his wife dead at the hands of the crones. Very sad tale. His lead underling now rules the region.
  • I killed Whoreson for what I found him doing to women. Dudu is now masquerading as him.
  • Lambert fell in love with Keira and they went off together. Eskel struck out on his own, unwilling to stay at Kaer Morhen anymore following Vesemir's death.
  • Geralt retired from being a Witcher, and left to live peacefully and in happiness with Triss in Kovir. She is the chief mage advisor to the ruler there, and they live happily together in a cottage there. Geralt still takes the occasional Witcher contract, but very rarely.
My highlight? Novigrad, as a city and region. I absolutely loved everything I did there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:52 am

M.Steiner
Looks like we made a lot of similar choices, though some different ones too :)
Anubis wrote:
  • The Baron of Velen committed suicide after finding his wife dead at the hands of the crones. Very sad tale. His lead underling now rules the region.
  • I killed Whoreson for what I found him doing to women. Dudu is now masquerading as him.
The Baron questline was one of the standouts for me for sure (he lived in my game). The Baron.. you just don't tend to see characters like that in a lot of video games, even with main protagonists. He had so much depth to his character I found, and is easily one of the most realistic and belivable characters I've ever come across in a game. So well written and voice acted, and despite all he'd done and seeing just how flawed he was, I really felt for him. I play and love a lot of games but I just can't remember ever coming away from a game and having those kind of feelings before, not even the first 2 games. Games don't generally affect me like that but that trend follows in Hearts of Stone too, without saying any more. I loved Witcher 1 & 2 but for me, 3 really took their storytelling to the next level and a level I've not really seen done before.

Whoreson was kinda similar. In most RPGs I'll always play the "good guy", at least to the best of my ability given how choices aren't always so cut & dry, especially in the Witcher. When it comes to killing people I'll often go back and forth with myself, weighing it up in terms of how it may affect the story etc, rather than being immersed in the character and just doing what feels right on the spot. It takes a special game for me to do that and stop reacting to those moments as a game, if that makes sense. With Whoreson I didn't think twice and played it through in-character as I did the rest of the game. In that situation, I felt real hatred for that guy and believed he deserved to die at my hands.
Life is Strange spoilers for anyone else reading who hasn't played it yet:
Life is Strange managed to do the same on a few occasions - Kate & accepting or refusing Chloe's request were the main two. They really touched a nerve, which, like TW3, many games don't manage to do with me. My only disappointment with those were (due to the finale) was that they were incredibly powerful and meaningingful choices in the moment but by the end of the game, neither choice really mattered when you're hitting all sorts of reset buttons. That being said, to tell the story they wanted to tell I don't suppose there was a way around that happening, I just felt it cheapened them a little bit.

Still, LiS was a very special game for this too despite any disappointments I had with it. To come away from a game with a real emotional reaction and not just once... Not many devs can really pull that off. I can't wait for Blood & Wine, Cyberpunk 2077 & Vampyr :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:08 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Same! I can't wait for any of those either :D 2015 has been such a special year for games - to have not only one game that blew my top 10 apart, but 2? Very very rare. Some of the best games I've ever played, and if 2016/17 can even half match up they'll be hugely good years.
The Baron questline is one of those where I can't actually see how other outcomes are possible, so will want to pay that close attention when I replay. I did not think you could keep him from killing himself.

Also, just read back through the thread and found your list of choices. What made you romance Yennefer, out of interest, given you played the game in character as I did?

For me, I feel Geralt has a ton in common with Triss and a phenomenally deep bond with her given all they've been through together in the last few games. Yen was just a memory...I went in interested to see what she'd be like and what drew Geralt to her. But I actually can't stand Yen, and spent the whole game with Geralt not trusting her and expecting her to throw a curveball that never came. She's so abrasive and combative, and I just can't see Geralt ever being happy with her. Triss complements him perfectly, and Yen's little hissy fit destroying the guest room where Triss had stayed at Kaer Morhen, then refusing to allow me and Triss any alone time just to talk because of her jealousy just compounded my feelings about the situation.

Curious to know how your Geralt felt, and his motivations :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:32 pm

M.Steiner
Couldn't agree more :)
I think only 1 game that I thought would be in my top 5 for last year actually ended up in my top 5 and that was TW3 lol. Not that the others I thought would be in there turned out to be crap or anything, they weren't, just that the other end 4 (whilst still looking forward to them) took me by surprise. Love it when that happens.
As for Yen vs Triss. I was actually pretty torn on that decision as (I personally) liked both characters. One of the main reasons I went with Yen was that her, Geralt & Ciri were a family, and whilst I've never read the books I still felt like they kinda belonged together. The Triss option on the other hand felt more like a fling to me, rather than anything serious or lasting. I actually chose Shani in TW1 too. They have a long history together and whilst Yen could come across quite cold at times (well, a lot of the time lol) I could totally understand some of those reactions from her given that viewpoint.

I'll definitely go down the Triss route next playthrough (though that won't be for a good while given how huge the game is haha) but for my first "true" experience, Yen was who I felt my Geralt was meant to be with. Was really pleased with how that progressed too :)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:34 pm

M.Steiner
Did any of you get the physical Gwent card decks by any chance?
gwentdecks.jpg
gwentdecks.jpg (113.4 KiB) Viewed 28060 times
Dunno about the rest of you but I absolutely loved Gwent in TW3! The only other game I've enjoyed as much would be Triple Triad. You won't be able to get these physical decks after June 10th though (or before if supplies run out) so I thought I'd try and get some for myself :D

If you fancy some as well, just fill out the form here & provide proof that you own the expansion pass:
This can be a photo/screenshot of the Expansion(s), or Expansion Pass purchase confirmation email/receipt, or a photo/screenshot of the expansion pass present in your digital game library in your digital store with your account name visible.
and they're supposed to send you a code in a few days which will allow you to buy them from witcherstore.com.

Hope I haven't left it too late ^^

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:54 am

M.Steiner
I posted about this in Discord an hour ago but thought it was worth posting about here too:

Cook & Becker (they are art dealers incase you haven't come across them before) have teamed up with CDPR to release a collection of official Witcher 3 art prints. If you know of them (C&B), then you might have already been aware that there were some on the way. Well, they have arrived! Here are just a few of them:
Image Image
Image Image

There are 30 art prints in total, each of which is a hand-numbered limited edition of either 25, 50 or 100 & comes with a Certificate of Authenticity signed by the artist. They aren't cheap, but the prices are justified given their limited run and being of such high quality - I bought a beautiful Journey art print from them last year (which I got framed locally) so I can vouch for their work ;)

These have only been announced to those of us who are signed up with them atm so this is a heads-up for you guys too. They will be given a big public unveiling sometime tomorrow (Thu) afternoon though.

If you're interested, you can find the collection here! :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:00 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'm very very disappointed there's none with Triss involved, as I'd have bought one instantly :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:16 pm

M.Steiner
Gotta admit, that surprised me too tbh (that there weren't any of Triss). A shame that CDPR didn't include one of her but a great collection other than that though I would say, and it's C&B' biggest collection to date as well which is nice!

Tempted by anything they do have mate? :)

There's a few I was tempted by but I decided to go with this one in the end:
I have literally no space in my room to put it as my walls are already full with other prints of stuff (lol) so I'll either have to leave it rolled up in its tube for now (until we come to move again and I hopefully have a little more wall space for it), or I hang it somewhere else in the house like our upstairs landing, assuming I don't get any objections haha. Couldn't come away without something though, not from my (now) fav game of all time :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:00 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
No, I'm not going to buy one. I would have in a heartbeat if there was a Triss & Geralt one (though like you I have nowhere to put it atm), but I only like to buy things like this when they mean something to me. And whilst they're all very beautiful, none of them really called to me in that way.

Plus I'll have two polystone Witcher statues by this time next year so best not go overboard haha!

The first piece of artwork like this that I want is one of your STR prints, but that's still waiting on a house right now! :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:42 pm

M.Steiner
Fair enough! I'm easily swayed by art prints & often wish I hadn't seen something when I do haha :)

My bedroom wall art follows a theme in that I get things which show off my interests & favourite things, so to speak. Like..
  • I have 2 Beatles art prints which are signed & numbered by the artists (Rich Pellegrino & Tim Doyle), a mini Bon Jovi poster which is signed by every member of the band (got that on the Bounce tour when I saw them live for the first time!) and a signed & numbered Pink Floyd/Dark Side of the Moon canvas (Stephen Fishwick). Those cover my 3 fav bands, which have never changed :D
  • Got 3 LOST prints, which (whilst I wouldn't put it as my #1) is still one of my all-time favourite shows and one I was basically obsessed over whilst it was airing lol. One of those is by Olly Moss (Incidentally, he was the lead artist on this year's Firewatch game. Fantastic game & really talented guy.)
  • A signed & numbered North by Northwest print (Matt Taylor) - Alfred Hitchcock has been my fav director for many, many years.
  • A Ghost in the Shell print (signed & numbered by Alexander Iaccarino) - The beginning of my adventure into the wonderful world of anime! I posted it in the anime forum back when I got it, links are probably dead now though.
  • The Journey print I mentioned before, and tweeted a pic of when I got it back from the framer. One of the most unique & memorable gaming experiences I've probably ever had.
  • A BioShock Infinite print signed by Ken Levine.
So a Witcher 3 print definitely fits the bill having become my fav game of all time - something which had managed to remain untouched for going on 20 years heh. Chose the port one inparticular as Novigrad was probably my fav area in the game, and city of any game I've played to date.
Ofc I have to really like the actual artwork too, I wouldn't buy just for the sake of it being related to something. C&B actually have a Shenmue print but whilst that would most definitely have been a pick-up, the design is not for me unfortunately. Not that I'd have any room for one of those either, as the ones I listed above completely fill the room as it is lol.

Anubis wrote:Plus I'll have two polystone Witcher statues by this time next year so best not go overboard haha!
Which are two those mate?
I have the polystone statue from TW3 CE with Geralt & the Griffin, and the Geralt bust which came with TW2 CE, which I think is made from clay (or something similar). Is there another polystone statue I'm unaware of or have I or you got the materials of TW2 one mixed up there? (actually, it might be best not to tell me if there is one as I have a thing for statues too... :lol:)

Anubis wrote:The first piece of artwork like this that I want is one of your STR prints, but that's still waiting on a house right now! :)
<3

Will take some pics when it eventually arrives (either unframed if I'm gonna leave it rolled up for now, or framed if I can get away with sticking it out on the landing lol :D
(My physical Gwent decks were actually dispatched yesterday too so I'll be sure to take some of those when I get them as well!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:46 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:
Anubis wrote:Plus I'll have two polystone Witcher statues by this time next year so best not go overboard haha!
Which are two those mate?
I have the polystone statue from TW3 CE with Geralt & the Griffin, and the Geralt bust which came with TW2 CE, which I think is made from clay (or something similar). Is there another polystone statue I'm unaware of or have I or you got the materials of TW2 one mixed up there? (actually, it might be best not to tell me if there is one as I have a thing for statues too... :lol:)
You may have missed the announcement of it by the sounds of it haha ;)

Return to “General Discussions”