PC upgrading

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: PC upgrading

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:50 pm

Kon
Unless your only concern is gaming, I would wait until Skylake. It's expected to launch in the first week of August, have 40% performance increase over Haswell, and will allow you to upgrade to DDR4 memory if/when you bump up to 16GB.

I would consider putting in another HDD if you have the space in your case. I would not recommend spending the money on a 500GB SSD. Most of the LGA 1151 motherboards coming out for Skylake should have M.2 support, and I would guess that SSDs will be largely a moot point within 2 or 3 years.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:22 pm

SL33PY
what's m.2 support?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:06 pm

Kon

M.2 is a form factor most commonly used for "mini SSDs." Right now, they can come with SATA or PCI-E interface. The SATA ones are pointless. You want the PCI-E ones, because they will be capable of much faster max speeds than current SSDs which are bound by the limitations of SATA. We're talking a cap of 10 Gbps vs 6 Gbps.

It also has the obvious advantage of saving you rack space. These are great for everyone but it's especially big news for the laptop crowd because on top of the potential speed increases, it now allows you the ability to have a 3-disk storage configuration in a laptop with 2 bays (M.2 SSD + HDD + HDD). M.2 was initially designed with laptops in mind, but they've started sticking them onto desktop motherboards anyway.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:03 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Thanks for your feedback everyone, both on here and in IRC. Really appreciate the help! :)

Settled on the following final specs after taking everything onboard and thinking it all over!

Case: HAF 932 - Retaining existing
GPU: ASUS GTX 970 STRIX
CPU: Intel i7-4790k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - Retaining existing
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GD65
RAM: 8GB DDR3 - Retaining existing
HDD: WD 1TB Corsair Blue
SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 EVO
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W
Monitor: ASUS VE248H 24"
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:06 pm

M.Steiner
No worries. GL & HF with the building ;)

The Witcher 3 here we come, eh? :D
(Prepare to be blown away!)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:08 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:No worries. GL & HF with the building ;)

The Witcher 3 here we come, eh? :D
(Prepare to be blown away!)

And genuinely can't wait! So stoked to finally be able to play!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:41 am

M.Steiner
Couldn't have chosen a better first game for your new system really. I shall look forward to hearing your impressions anyhow!
I feel excited for ya hehe ;D
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Return to “General Discussions”