So. Any reviews on The Order?

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

So. Any reviews on The Order?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:06 pm

Ozone
Have a copy reserved at Best Buy and haven't picked it up yet. Is it worth the $60? Been reading that it has a considerably short play time (5-7 hours).
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

Re: So. Any reviews on The Order?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:11 pm

BlackDove
I watched a guy stream it in five hours from start to finish.

It's a five hour movie (if you die a lot), a bit shorter than that otherwise.

I'd say "no" to your question. No replay value either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:41 pm

M.Steiner
My quick post from the 2015 thread:
M.Steiner wrote:Screenshots are compressed so take that into account. Looks a lot better in person :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Played 1hr 30min of it this evening. Liking it so far :)
Will see what tomorrow brings.
Can't really answer your question as to whether it's worth $60 yet as I haven't played any more since (been on Star Citizen all day pretty much) but I'll be continuing with it tonight.

Positives from what I've played of it - Visually stunning, awesome world design and I don't mind the black bars after having played The Evil Within last year which did the same. Voice acting has been top notch as have the animations. Also, quick-time events and the movie-ness of it haven't bothered me in the slightest either but then Heavy Rain & Beyond: Two Souls were two of my favourite games on PS3. Each to their own and all that.

It does seem cover heavy so far and that coupled with the linearity of the areas reminds me a bit of Gears of War, which could be a bad thing by the end. We will see.
Gonna play some more later but as I say, I've liked the 1½hrs I've played of it. I'm also running a stopwatch to see exactly how long it takes me as what might be 5hrs for one could be 9hrs for someone else. Have read varying completion times from others who have played it.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:10 pm

BlackDove
Since I know how it ends by the way, I'll also say the story is largely a miss. You've watched it or read it before, and when you did it was probably done in a better way. The ending is not impactful in large part because the game is not long enough to develop its characters. It also acts as a sequel or DLC-setter.

It copies its end off of another game, yet the game that is being copied was a very long game that fully and thoroughly developed its characters.

Watch the game on youtube. It's free, and it doesn't have the downside of you having to play a repetitive shooter. You get all the benefits though - seeing the pretty graphics, and the steampunk setting which are the only two good things about the game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:11 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
From the reviews I've read, it doesn't seem worth it at all to me. Which is a huge shame as I was really looking forward to it.

That's just reviews though - got to take them with a pinch of salt. Nothing beats hands on experience with it.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:52 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:From the reviews I've read, it doesn't seem worth it at all to me. Which is a huge shame as I was really looking forward to it.

That's just reviews though - got to take them with a pinch of salt. Nothing beats hands on experience with it.
Exactly (unless you've watched an entire playthrough like BD). As I said on IRC the other day, how many of us would have touched games like Beyond: Two Souls if we had based our purchase on the reviews it got?. I certainly wouldn't. They can point out some facts but it still comes down to being someone else's opinion at the end of the day. I'd rather make my own mind up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:24 pm

BlackDove
Beyond: Two Souls at least has some player agency affecting outcomes.

The Order is a literal repetitive corridor shooter that you can only play one way. Making it akin to a movie. That you can watch. For free.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:47 pm

M.Steiner
Played some more last night and this morning (4hrs 20mins so far).
Just rescued Lord Hastings on the bridge and am about to follow the Indian lady. Not sure how much there is left after that.
I'm still enjoying my time with it but I do have several issues with it (will post when I'm done), length ain't even one of those yet.
Leaning towards recommending to buy it later when it's cheaper but I'll see how I feel when I'm done.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:10 pm

BlackDove
You're about an hour away from the ending. If you don't drag it along or die a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:05 pm

BlackDove
Here ya' go.

Length isn't really The Order's main problem. Had it been ultra amazing for five hours, it might've been possible to say it's worth it.

But it's not.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:18 pm

M.Steiner
BlackDove wrote:Here ya' go.

Length isn't really The Order's main problem. Had it been ultra amazing for five hours, it might've been possible to say it's worth it.

But it's not.
Yep. I've not continued with the game yet so still have that hour or so left but I was starting to feel that way when I made my last post:
M.Steiner wrote:I'm still enjoying my time with it but I do have several issues with it (will post when I'm done), length ain't even one of those yet.
The main thing people have been focusing on with The Order has been its length and mostly that alone but quite honestly, I've not even finished it yet and I can see the length being one of the things that is going to bother me the least. If it took me 5hrs to complete but every minute of that was an amazing experience with some tight storytelling, interesting gameplay sections and a little bit of exploring/collecting on top, I'd be happy tbh. Jim makes good points (once again). I'd rather that than a game which has been overly strung out with filler and repetitive crap just to increase the time it takes to complete. I can't say that though.
It does have some great things about it as I've already listed and I have enjoyed the bits I've played but when it comes down to it, length is not the Orders problem.

The things that have bugged me...
  • Story hasn't been all that great and its lack of character development doesn't help with that. It's a shame because the voice acting & facial animations (and the rest) have been excellent and I love the setting.
  • Uninspired gameplay - The GoW comparison does kinda fit, as does Call of Duty tbh. You basically go from one cutscene to the next with corridor/cover shooting inbetween. Nothing new or exciting about it, sadly.
  • Linear set pieces - Now just to be clear, I don't have a problem with this when done it's done well. BioShock Infinite for example. The areas in Infinite weren't massive or anything but they gave you just enough to explore a little with rooms off to the sides, collectibles to find, ammo, money, upgrades etc. Plus lots to see and look at. With the Order on the other hand, I purposely walk around each little area just to see if there's anything worth (physically) looking at or picking up but there hardly ever is, besides the scenery itself and the backdrop obviously. I can walk to the other side of somewhere and find nothing of interest and 9 times out of 10 it really does make more sense to walk straight from A to B. Crazy. They could have littered those small areas with lots of stuff to investigate, interact with and collect, but no.
  • The amount of cutscenes over gameplay - Again, something I don't have a problem with when done well but when some chapters are (or at least feel) like just cutscenes and a bit of walking.. o.O.
  • Quick-time events - Same as above. I grew up playing games like Shenmue (<3) which made really good use of quick-time events so I'm totally cool with these and actually enjoy them when they're utilized well. Whilst games like Heavy Rain are very movie-like too, it's more like you're playing and being a part of them rather than just watching. They still give the player lots of control. HR had some fantastic quick-time events too which are actually quite complex at times and you really had to be on the ball. Also when failing some of those it would lead to a slightly different outcome - great stuff!. I loved that. The Order?. It is sadly just the odd button press to interact with something here and there, with some quick tapping of X or whatever. Could have done so much more with them.
Length is not the main offender here. <censored> the length.
and since the game has no kind of upgrades or different endings (from what I understand) or anything like that there's basically no replay value besides the trophies. Dishonored & Infinite didn't have a new game plus or anything but with Dishonored you could take completely different approaches to your missions with the world and story adapting to those, and with Infinite it was worth replaying just to notice all the things you'd missed on your first playthrough.

But yeah. Listing a bunch of negatives like that makes it sound like a terrible game but it's not. It does have its good points too as I've listed and I have enjoyed it despite the issues I have with it. It just could have been so much better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:31 pm

BlackDove
You should really only pass judgment after you've played it.

Enjoy chapters XIV, XV and XVI. They're more or less one big cutscene. And a prolonged quicktime event.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:03 pm

M.Steiner
Finished it last night:
completiontime.jpg
Didn't die a ton either. I just took my time with it. Explored as best I could, walked around and investigated things rather than running from one point to the next etc.

Started to enjoy the story more after my last post and that last QT event was the kinda thing I was referencing to with other games. If they'd had more of those throughout the game and not just simple button presses every now and then I'd have been happier. Rather than taking the power away from the player on some many occassions.
I still feel the same about the other stuff but I enjoyed it enough to still play it again if I went back in time, I'd just wait until it was quite a bit cheaper. Reviews aside, I hope it sells enough to help secure a sequel as If they keep the positives in there but listen to the feedback on the rest a sequel could be amazing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:16 pm

BlackDove
Yeah, you really dragged it out.

I'm kind of surprised you liked it more towards the end. With there being no gameplay to speak of, and some true trash quicktime events.

To each their own I guess. But that thing is barely worth $20, let alone $60. It's just objectively bad. I do not understand how anyone in their right mind would think it would be a good thing to make their final boss fight be completely unlike their entire game.

Return to “General Discussions”