The significance of Shenmue

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

The significance of Shenmue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:46 am

M.Steiner
Some of you will know that I have been a huge fan of Shenmue since it's original release, putting it in my top 3 games when we last shared our lists and something I've always held dear to my heart. I was only a kid back then but it was such an incredible experience unlike anything I'd ever played before. Soooo ahead of its time and such an amazing achievement even today. Shenmue is something I've never been able to forget and a journey I have wanted to continue for 14 years. Half my life, pretty much.
I never lost hope, but after all these years, Sony, along with the amazing backers on Kickstarter, are finally making this dream become a reality. It's such a wonderful thing. Seeing the Shenmue 3 video appear live at the Sony conference on Monday was just... magical. I still can't quite believe it's happening, methinks it will probably take a while to sink in. (FFVII remake too).
SonyE32015.jpg
SonyE32015.jpg (131.83 KiB) Viewed 11911 times
I don't remember anyone else ever saying so but I think I'm the only person here who actually played Shenmue 1 & 2 back then, or at all even? (my brother aside). That is not surprising though and part of the reason why we've been waiting so long in the first place hehe. Anyway, to the point.. I just came across this great article on reddit which covers the significance of Shenmue and just why this is such a big deal. I've shared it elsewhere as well (my tweet) but wanted to share it here too as I think some of you will find it quite insightful - https://noobdigest.squarespace.com/. Tis a great read.

I'm now hoping that Sega jump on this (cash in) and release some HD remasters of the first 2 games on digital platforms, or at the very least a straight up port of them. They'd have to be absolutely mad not to though given the records the Shenmue 3 kickstarter has already broken.
Playing them now won't be the same as playing them back when I did of course, but maybe some of you will be interested in doing so now that Shenmue 3 is happening. You definitely should! :)
We're already $1M over the Kickstarter goal and I won't beg you to support it but please consider it :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: The significance of Shenmue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:56 am

NF
Arbiter
I've played one of them but I'm fairly indifferent to the series (to the point that I can't remember which one I played). Found it a bit tedious, hated the quick time events and (if I remember this right) had a whole section devoted to driving a forklift?!?...

Not trying to be argumentative, everyone has different tastes, but No. 3 won't make my shopping lists.
NF

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:35 pm

M.Steiner
It must have been Shenmue 1 if it had the forklift. You were trying to track down a biker gang who you knew had dealings with people at the docks so you got yourself a job down there, driving a forklift truck. You had to take the bus to work and everything. Twas one of the best parts :D

(Incidentally - the name of the DRE clan I founded in Neocron which myself, Cyma & Riccko left to come join the SSC, was actually inspired by Shenmue heh)

The only criticism I've ever really had with Shenmue was its english dub. Back then it wasn't really a problem as it was the first game I'd played with so much voice acting and that alone was something new and exciting but as the years have gone on, by todays standards the quality of the english voice acting would be seen as pretty bad I think. Saying that, even now I think it kinda adds to its charm.
from the article I linked wrote:When FFX was released in 2001, it was heralded as one of the finest made products in gaming history (and rightfully so; Famitsu—the prestigious Japanese gaming-review magazine infamous for its critical standards—ranked FFX #1 on their list of Top 100 Favorite Games of All Time). One of the major praises towards the game was its voice acting. Not only was it high-quality, but it was said to be the first RPG to have every line of dialogue read by a voice actor, even the inconsequential bits spoken by NPCs. Very impressive...unless you happened to play Shenmue two years prior, before the PS2 was even released, in which case you would have already played an RPG that boasted over 42,000 lines of spoken dialogue, translated into both English and Japanese. (For the record, FFX had around 22,000.)
Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion NF! Just a shame to hear you felt that way :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:29 pm

Kon
They've finally posted some Kickstarter updates shedding a bit more light on publishing and stretch goals.

It's curios to note that he confirms Sony is involved in the publishing, which is something he denied earlier. I've said in IRC that I don't think they are managing the campaign very well and not communicating with people, but I do hope that they can make at least the $5 million mark. Regardless, I will certainly be keeping an eye on the game.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:07 am

M.Steiner
I agree that they haven't been managing the campaign as well as I'd have liked too. That being said, they seem to be turning that around a bit now which is good to see - the Reddit AMA, being clearer on the funding, stretch goals, involving backers more (with the character poll and further pledge reward ideas). Suzuki-san will also be on Twitch tonight (in 3hrs from posting this) to talk more on those as well as answer other questions people have.
Whatever goal they reach with the kickstarter I just hope they allow PayPal funding afterwards. It will help a great deal I think and I know many Shenmue fans would be more than willing to keep donating money that way each month or whatever.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:04 pm

M.Steiner
In the last 24hrs (thanks to some great new pledge rewards, the much requested addition of physical PS4 copies, a tweetathon campaign and a twitter Q&A from Yu Suzuki), the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter has surpassed Mighty No. 9, Project Eternity & Torment: Tides of Numenera and is now the second most funded video game in Kickstarter history! :D

This thread has gotten very little attention in terms of replies but just wanted to say a big thank you to any of you who has pledged so far. Whether $1, $29, $60 or $300+ like me. Doesn't matter. I've waited 14 years for this to become a reality and the scope of the game all depends on how much money we give Suzuki-san. We've still a long way to go with the stretch goals but from one gamer friend to another, thank you for supporting and thank you for helping to make this the best Shenmue experience it can be. Whatever you've pledged, tis greatly appreciated!

13 days to go :thumb:

(Those of you who have pledged, which tier/rewards have you gone for btw? :))

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:07 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'll be pledging towards the end of the campaign. Money is tight for me atm :(
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:36 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:I'll be pledging towards the end of the campaign. Money is tight for me atm :(
Just to note mate (and for anyone who is new to KS perhaps) - Even though we've already met the original set funding goal, no money is actually taken until the Kickstarter campaign comes to a close. You can also manage your pledge at any time up until that point as well. As such, it shouldn't really matter whether you support it today, tomorrow or two weeks from now as you won't get charged a thing until July 18th which is when the KS ends. Like only being charged for a pre-order when it's dispatched ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:37 pm

M.Steiner
My last post in here for a while most likely but just to give you guys a heads up that there are only 2 days left of the Kickstarter.

We are hoping that PayPal will be added at some point after the campaign has ended to continue funding but this is not a certainty. If you haven't supported our dream of Shenmue 3 yet and would like to, now is the time to do so!. $29 for a digital copy, $60 for physical or $5 just to participate in future polls etc. Please give as much or as little as you can even if it's just a dollar (what's that, 60p?). Every little helps and will help Suzuki-san deliver the best game he possibly can. Ty! <3 :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:46 am

M.Steiner
And we're done:

Successfully raised $6,333,296 USD with 69,320 backers
  • Fastest video game project to hit $1M, in just 1hr 42mins. Torment held the previous record of 6hrs 5mins.
  • Second fastest Kickstarter project overall to reach $1M, second only to the Pebble Watch at 46 minutes.
  • Fastest video game project to hit $2M, reaching its funding goal in less than 9 hours.
  • #1 most funded video game in Kickstarter history.
  • 6th most funded project in Kickstarter history.

Anubis wrote:I'll be pledging towards the end of the campaign. Money is tight for me atm :(
So which did you go for mate? $60 physical? $29 digital? $5 for backer updates & polls, or $1 just to support it and be part of gaming history?
Thanks for supporting it, however much or little (same goes to anyone else!) ;)
shenmuesaved.jpg
shenmuesaved.jpg (129.05 KiB) Viewed 11551 times
A true case of if fans are passionate enough, vocal enough, patient enough and most importantly, cough up when it matters, anything is possible. This makes me so happy, and so proud of every Shenmue fan (and newcomer!) out there. Has been a long and wonderful journey, though not over just yet!
Also a big FU to all those naysayers who for years tried to shit on our dreams. #Believe.

Now we gotta wait again haha. BUT, at least there's a light at the end of this tunnel! :D
(Final note: PayPal has been confirmed to be coming so if you were late to the party, that is a shame, but you'll be able to pledge through there very soon.]

bed time...

Return to “General Discussions”