Windows 10

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Windows 10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:05 pm

M.Steiner
Windows 10 Review - The Verge
Should I upgrade to Windows 10? - RPS
Media Creation Tool (Installation files for DVD/USB)

So who is upgrading to Windows 10 today?
If I don't upgrade today I probably will over the weekend methinks. Apart from a few bugs here and there (which I'm sure will be fixed very soon) I see no reason to put it off tbh.
Anyone already upgraded to the release build? Thoughts?
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Windows 10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:04 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Not likely! Already know someone at work who tried to upgrade and got immediately blue screened. Give it time for them to fix all the gaping bugs that they always ship with. Don't see any reason to rush.

I'm in no rush to move off 7. It works and is a really good platform, so I'll be staying with it for a while yet. I'll consider upgrading next year probably, if Tomb Raider is a Windows 10 exclusive.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:50 pm

NF
Arbiter
I've been running windows 10 on my media centre for a month or two and its OK... Just OK. I'd hold off for the bug fixes plus Microsoft to decide that WiFi-sense is a really bad idea.
NF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:23 pm

BlackDove
The free upgrade will be there for a year.

Sensible thing to do is wait for the bug fixes and, more importantly, drivers.

Also, you do not "upgrade". Ever. You do a clean install.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:54 pm

M.Steiner
There's a revert feature in Windows 10, right?
So one could theoretically upgrade, see how they find it and then either stick with it or revert back to their previous version of Windows at the flick of a button, correct? Seems like a no brainer to try 10 now if that's possible?
Anubis wrote:I'll consider upgrading next year probably, if Tomb Raider is a Windows 10 exclusive.
It's hard to tell as the press release said it would be available for "Windows 10 and Steam" which you could read 2 ways. It's either the Windows 10 Store and Steam, or Windows 10 via Steam. The site I saw the announcement on were reporting it as the latter so... seems we're not the only ones not entirely sure. Saying this though, by the time we see RotTR on PC, Windows 10 will have been out for about 7 months. MS have money in the game too and they're gonna want to push 10. Who knows lol.

BlackDove wrote:Also, you do not "upgrade". Ever. You do a clean install.
I've read a few posts on GAF today saying that you should upgrade first in order for it to properly transfer your old license to Windows 10, and then go ahead and do a clean install or refresh if you want to. Not to just do the latter. Dunno how true that is though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:19 pm

BlackDove
About the clean install, there is no other way to do it other than you described.

However... the upgrade is working perfectly for me right now... I may not even do a clean install.

That'll be a first.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:02 am

M.Steiner
Up and running with 10 now as well. Upgrade took all but 30 minutes and that included configuring stuff pre-login. Couldn't have gone smoother really.
Will customize my start menu a little more tomorrow and see what other apps there is on the store too.
Really like what I have seen of it so far anyhow. Hopefully won't run into any major problems :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:35 pm

Kon
Glad to see it's gone smoothly for both of you. Unfortunately it seems this hasn't been the case for everyone. Life has taught me never to be an early adopter, so I'll hold off for a while and see how it goes as more people move to the new OS.

Would appreciate it if people could post their impressions after some time using it.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:01 pm

BlackDove
There's nothing to say.

It's Windows 7 with faster and snazzier animations.

That's it.

Got 10 insider clean install on my laptop, and the Win7 upgrade on my desktop. Both work like a charm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:08 am

esd
I'm holding off too, seeing how this "send everything, from files to keystrokes, to MS" thing plays out...
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:10 am

M.Steiner
I don't like any of that stuff either but the good thing is, you can turn it all off. Just be sure to customize your settings when you're installing instead of hitting express (though you can still go back into the privacy settings etc once you're in, just incase you missed something). First thing BD and I did :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:22 pm

esd
M.Steiner wrote:I don't like any of that stuff either but the good thing is, you can turn it all off. Just be sure to customize your settings when you're installing instead of hitting express (though you can still go back into the privacy settings etc once you're in, just incase you missed something). First thing BD and I did :)
Except tech types in the comments at Ars Technica are finding cortana still communicating with Bing after all her stuff has been turned off, through task manager's network monitor. So it's not clear they'll honor your settings; see the end of this article.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:21 pm

BlackDove
Now open the Network pane under the Overview tab to see the connections SearchUI.exe is making. Open Cortana and type something silly like "Hello world".
Open Cortana and type something silly like "Hello world".
Open Cortana
Not even once.

I don't even know where she is on my computer. I don't know how to activate her. If she's activated by the search button, the joke's on her, that's the first thing I removed from the taskbar, and have no idea how to activate.

And of course your shit will be monitored if you use her. For all of the jokes Microsoft made at Google's expense about Google scanning your private shit for advertising info, all of the disclaimers Microsoft put in Win10 indicate just that. Cortana is their proprietary search engine, and thus functions exactly like Google. No surprises there.

That said, there's absolutely no reason to use it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:01 pm

SSX-Andy
A bit too much snooping around going on in 10 for me to want to touch it atm.

Not sure what data it gathers and reports and the latest keylogging issue makes me want to stay away from it until either Microsoft wisens up or someone gives out a way to disable it permanently,

Return to “General Discussions”