The STR Screenshot Thread

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: The STR Screenshot Thread

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Yakuza 0 is actually on my list too as I've heard so much good about it! Glad to hear it plays, and looks, as good as the hype!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:08 pm

M.Steiner
Great to hear! I was going to recommend it to you ;D

I've played all of Yakuza 3 and some of 4 (need to resume that, got broken off for some reason) but 0 would be my current favourite in the series. Loving the story atm and the side content is so much fun. If you become a fan, there's Yakuza Kiwami out later this year too (slated for the Summer I believe) which is a proper remake of the original. Good times :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Thunderbird
From Dark Cloud (PS2), which I've been replaying recently:
Food for thought...

You tell me...

Gotta love having BOTH the map and magic crystal (similar to the compass from Zelda games) being in the last two chests you find...

We go from jumping over rivers in the previous two dungeons...to jumping over THIS?

It's worth noting that the options that appear when pressing X are "Trust the young general" and "Ignore him". Getting into his mouth is what accesses the backfloors of this dungeon. I wouldn't do it...

Just so long as we're on the same page, buddy...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Given the type of game that looks to be, how have I never heard of it?!

Looks fun :lol:
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:43 pm

Isileth
Loved Dark Cloud, unfortunately I ran into a bug quite far into the second one where one of my key items went missing and I couldn't progress any further :(. Didn't have the will power to start again so I never finished it.

Looking back it was really quite a good game, a huge amount of stuff to do. How does it hold up now?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:38 pm

Thunderbird
The games are pretty fun (and I'll note that both Dark Cloud and it's sequel, (called Dark Chronicle in EU/JP) are available in the PS2 on PS4 section of the PS Store) still, though fishing in the first one still makes me want to throw things (particularly when a fish just nibbles all of my bait without ever pulling the bobber under). Fishing is FAR better in the sequel. DC1 still has all of its little translation errors (including a few button prompts that are incorrect!) and I've heard that the missing backfloor key for the final story dungeon was not rectified either (I'm not quite that far though).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:41 am

M.Steiner
Nioh (PS4)
Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:59 pm

M.Steiner
Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Image Image
Image Image
Finally released over here (today) and since it's a beautiful looking game with photo mode, expect lots more pics heh. Will drop a few impressions as I do as well (once I've dug into it a bit more), but so far so good! ;D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:36 pm

M.Steiner
Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:57 pm

M.Steiner
Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Image Image
Image Image
Hope you guys aren't bored of these yet! ;)
From what I have played of this so far (it's a bloody big game), I think it's safe to say that Horizon has joined the ranks of the PS4's absolute best offerings. Sony already has a few 'console sellers' for the PS4 but if you still needed a reason to pick one up, you can add HZD to the list with Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4, Yakuza 0 etc. Superb :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:54 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Horizon is SUCH a beautiful game, I can't wait to play it - one of my best friends has started and is taking some amazing pics too (you've probably seen me liking them on Twitter).

Your picture spotting talent is amazing as usual though. That third one in the moonlight - WOW! I almost want a print of that! I need to start backing all your images up!

I started Yakuza 0 earlier btw, so I'm hitting that up before Horizon. Really love it so far from the first chapter - hoping it opens up soon, but I love the style and the story so far. Really good call recommending! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:57 pm

M.Steiner
Glad you like em mate!, and yep, it really is a beautiful game. Was just reading earlier (you may have seen my Tweet) but was announced today that Horizon has become Sony's biggest new IP launch, their biggest launch in general since Uncharted 4 and it's gone to No.1 in the first week UK charts as well (also beating Zelda). Really glad to hear this as Horizon has great series potential methinks and would love to see more of its world & Aloy :)

Great to hear that you're enjoying Yakuza 0 so far too! I think I'm going to struggle picking an ultimate GOTY this year with games like this & Yakuza... not sure how I'll pick one lol.
Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Image Image
Image Image

Horizon does have similarities to TW3 (though TW3 is still king for me), but they're still quite different games at the same time. It's like a mix of TW3, Far Cry and Uncharted/Tomb Raider I'd say. The story has been fantastic so far, but it's no TW3. Not that I expected it to be! Let's be honest, I doubt there are many people who have played & completed TW3 who wouldn't agree that it was one of the greatest RPGs & gaming experiences of all time (and for me personally, it is still the most). Horizon does do some things better though - like its combat & range of weapons & tools. It's all so much more involved & fun. Also, with a lot of games I play I tend to have my favourite 'go-to' weapon which I'll hardly ever switch from and use at every given opportunity, but with Horizon I find that I've been using almost all of the weapons in my arsenal and switching them (and their different ammo types) in & out depending on the encounter. It's not often I do that so this has been a pleasant surprise! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'd always assumed it would end up being their next big franchise tbh. Frankly, even right after we saw that first footage of it, I'd have been absolutely amazed if it didn't become that - barring an absolute bomb in sales.

I'm glad to see that it looks like it's living up to those expectations. It's definitely one of the prettiest games I've ever seen if nothing else, and it absolutely deserves that success.

I'll be honest though and say that the comparisons to TW3 have been annoying me a lot, from all sides. It's far FAR too soon to even begin comparing it properly, and TW3 was so on a different level to almost ever other game I've ever played (I still maintain though TW2 had the more engrossing narrative) it's almost insulting to so trivially put this out as "better" with so little thought, time or effort. I have very high expectations for Horizon, but I don't expect it to come close to TW3 personally. It's clearly inspired by it an awful lot, but everything I've heard about the side content particularly suggests to me that it's still a long way from being beaten.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:14 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:I have very high expectations for Horizon, but I don't expect it to come close to TW3 personally. It's clearly inspired by it an awful lot, but everything I've heard about the side content particularly suggests to me that it's still a long way from being beaten.
Definitely agree. As good as Horizon is (and yes, it's fantastic), judging from the amount of time I have put into it so far (and as an open world game in general, putting any similarities aside), TW3 put itself on a whole new level of its own which I don't see being challenged anytime soon. Probably not until they release Cyberpunk 2077 & potentially outdo themselves haha :D

Dialogue choices in Horizon are limited for example and are mainly just questioning. You do get 'choices' from time to time, but they're not like TW (or some other RPGs) where you'll be able to go off into completely different dialogue trees depending on your responses, or see significantly different outcomes based on those which really impact the story & world around you. There's no Bloody Baron in this as it's just not that kinda game. Whether they will ultimately affect the ending though? Can't say until I've finished it. So yeah.. there are similarities to be found between the two but at the same time, quite different games as I say. /me goes back to it! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:38 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
This has prodded me a bit to share a bit of what I've been doing lately. I know I don't take screenshots much, and my eye for them is relatively poor compared to you guys, but it's been a while since I shared and figured I may as well. I didn't take these pics during play though, so bear in mind they're all from towards the end of their respective games!

I've been on a retro binge for the last 4-5 months, I'd say. I tried to pick up Mafia 3 somewhere in the middle, but the sheer tedium it put me through made me give up and return to some classics part way through. Some day I'll go back I'm sure, but for now:
Final Fantasy IX
Image Image
The game I've most recently been playing, having finished it this last weekend. This was the first time I've beaten Ozma in a playthrough, so it's as close to 100% I've ever come in this game. The run was spoiled by the fact that it's a horrendous Steam port though - I crashed well in excess of 100 times throughout it - this being the reason I eventually grew frustrated and didn't go for 100%. I will play again some day, but I'll definitely emulate rather than use this terrible copy again.

Max Payne 2
Image Image
One of my all time favourite games, which I hadn't played for over 6 years. Just as much fun, and just as fantastic a narrative as I remember it. I won't leave it as long before a replay next time. Definitely Remedy's best work for my money!

Football Manager 2014
Image Image
Yes yes, the eternal fixture on my list. I've still not bought a more recent version, and my playtime with 2014 has slowed down drastically as time has passed, but I still keep it ticking along. As you can see my sheer managerial excellence cannot be expressed by mere words. I should apply for the Arsenal job IRL - can't do any worse than Wenger!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:16 pm

M.Steiner
I've been meaning to play FFIX for a while now but there have been so many new releases which I've wanted to prioritise playing over it, that it keeps getting put to the side until I know I'll be able to play it uninterrupted, and without wishing I was playing something new like Yakuza or Horizon instead. Will get to it eventually though as it has always been one of my favs in the series and haven't played it in years. Has been quite worrying to hear of your crashing issues with it though so hope I won't run into any probs when I come to play it :sweat:

and now we have my final (I think) batch of HZD screenies:
Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Enjoy it when you get to it, Anny. You won't be disappointed ;D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:49 pm

M.Steiner
Night in the Woods (PC)
Image Image
Image Image

Had this on my 'to buy' list & figured I could fit it in before NieR releases on PC next Fri, rather than leaving it until later this year or a sale. Really glad I bought it now as it's pretty damn great!
College dropout Mae Borowski returns home to the crumbling former mining town of Possum Springs seeking to resume her aimless former life and reconnect with the friends she left behind. But things aren't the same. Home seems different now and her friends have grown and changed. Leaves are falling and the wind is growing colder. Strange things are happening as the light fades.

And there's something in the woods.

NIGHT IN THE WOODS is an adventure game focused on exploration, story, and character, featuring dozens of characters to meet and lots to do across a lush, vibrant world. After a successful Kickstarter it's being made by Infinite Fall, a teamup of Alec Holowka (Aquaria), Scott Benson (Late Night Work Club), and Bethany Hockenberry.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/481510/

It's a bit different, but I've been getting Life is Strange vibes from the first couple of hours I've played of it this evening (like with the dialogue, humour & interactions with its characters). Give it a look if you like adventure games, or even if not, don't forget that Steam will refund you if you've played less than 2hrs and are within 2 weeks of having purchased it ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:18 pm

M.Steiner
NieR: Automata (PC)
Image Image
Image Image
Not my best screenshots but NieR: Automata would easily take the award for 'biggest surprise of the year' for me.

Before I tried the demo of this on PS4 last year I wasn't even sure if I'd get it tbh, as whilst I did have an interest in it (somewhat) I'd never played the original NieR and didn't know whether this would be for me or not. However, after giving the demo a whirl and actually really enjoying it, I decided to buy the full game at release. Thank God I did! Even then though, I wasn't prepared for what I was about to experience. One of the greatest games (and soundtracks) of all time imho.

My updated top 5 list of 2017 (so far):
  • #1 NieR: Automata (PC)
    #2 Yakuza 0 (PS4)
    #3 Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
    #4 Resident Evil 7 (PC)
    #5 Nioh (PS4)
The gap between second & third place isn't that large but as great as Horizon was, I think Yakuza 0 edges it for me given just how strong its storytelling was for one thing. Horizon does a lot of things right (and well), but I don't think it raised the bar anymore, and at least for me, didn't really excel in any one department, but rather merged the best of other games. All 3 have been some of the best games I've played though, for sure. Really strong year!

If you decide to get it - make sure you play A through E. You'll know what that means when the time comes. Don't google anything & risk spoiling stuff for yourself. One of the most original games I've played.

Now I need a little break from open world games; Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Horizon & NieR (and I suppose Nioh was as well to a degree). I don't think I can play another just yet haha. Will see how I feel once Persona 5 comes out though, as (assuming I feel up to another in a few weeks time lol) that will likely be next for me. ME:A can wait :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:35 pm

M.Steiner
Thimbleweed Park (PC)
Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:15 pm

M.Steiner
Persona 5 (PS4)
Image Image
Image Image
Unfortunately, I won't be able to post any more screenshots of this due to Atlus disabling the share function shortly after this point in the game. A real shame. Seems pretty dumb though if you ask me, as it doesn't stop anyone with a capture card from sharing stuff (so any serious console streamer/Youtuber basically) and anyone who wants to be an ass and spoil the game for others will still find a way to do so. Oh well...

Anyway, this is my first Persona game so wish me luck! I've only played a tiny bit so far but looks like I'll be in for a treat going by the glowing reviews & Metascore! :D

Also, the steelbook is gorgeous:
P5Steelbook.jpg
P5Steelbook.jpg (434.72 KiB) Viewed 31926 times
When can we get a Twitter mod, Anny?
;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:03 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
A Twitter mod? What do you want it to do? :lol:

But keep us updated on Persona mate! REALLY interested to hear your thoughts as you get through it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:48 am

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:A Twitter mod? What do you want it to do? :lol:
A mod so we can quote Tweets in a post without having to either link off-site to them or screenshot, crop & save in Photoshop & then either include the image as an attachment in the post (like I've done above) or upload it elsewhere else to link with the img tags. I suggested it a while ago but we've all slept since then lol.
Still think it's a good idea though and [tweet]https://twitter.com/ShatteredStar97/sta ... 0649468928[/tweet] would be so much easier heh :)

On the subject of Persona 5 - It's been a slow buildup so far, though I don't say that in a negative way. I'm not sure how many hours I've played in total exactly (as I've screwed my ingame playtime counter up by leaving the game on and going afk several times) but I'd say around 5-6hrs?, and I've only just reached a point where I've been given the freedom to go about managing my own schedule. Up until now the game has kept me on a tight leash pretty much, though as a newcomer to the series I'm glad it has as there's a lot to take in.

I commented on Discord & Twitter about this yesterday but one of the first things (at least for me) that jumps out at you is just how stylish it all is. The general interface, combat design, victory animations (found a gif of this from the JP version, see below), the messenger app, menus, loading screen transitions... Everything looks sick and is so beautifully presented. I love it.

Tis still early days with so much more to learn & explore but I'm really enjoying my time with it so far! Its approach to dungeons, combat & day-to-day time management are quite different from other JRPGs I've played so it's shaping up to be a rather fresh experience for me in that regard too :)

Also, I want a Morgana plush lol....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:00 pm

M.Steiner
What Remains of Edith Finch (PC)
Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:45 pm

M.Steiner
Little Nightmares (PC)
Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:30 pm

M.Steiner
Heavy Rain (PS4)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Return to “General Discussions”