Bowie. Sad.

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Bowie. Sad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:33 am

Ozone
BAH! Everyone in the world has some sort of Eulogy. How can you not if someone has helped define you in some way.

I’m a punk - from Clash to Rancid to Dead Kennedys, to Descendents to Greenday. But I love classical, Mozart rocks, to the point where Wolfgang is my son’s middle name. I’m a big fan of Verdi operas, and there’s nothing more I love than blasting James Brown in a dance mood, or Muddy Waters for some hardcore blues while I’m working.

The first three items I ever purchased in music were John Lennon’s ’Shaved FIsh’ on vinyl, the Beatles 67-70 on vinyl, and David Bowies ‘Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust’ on 8 track, yes, 8 track as I couldn’t find the vinyl.
&*^%, I listened to that album scores of times, heeding the warning on the back - ‘To be played at maximum volume’. To this day I still listen to it and without it I would never have discovered Brian Eno, King Crimson, or many other extraordinary and defining bands.

He was one of the reasons why my music taste is so varied. Rock, soul, blues, classical, it all came from and was influenced by my initial purchases, and, most fortunately, Mr. Bowie was one of them. Yesterday was a sad day for me. As is tonight as I’m typing this.

Some great vids…

The Man Who Sold the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM0e1m9T9HQ

Absolute Beginners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_cHvtPB2dY

With David Gilmour - Comfortably Numb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM0Pl80Zf00

With Placebo - WIthout You I’m Nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hh9tY2tnXs

With Trent Reznor (NIN) - I’m afraid of Americans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPVrFIP0CMs
and Hurt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM0Pl80Zf00
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

Re: Bowie. Sad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:25 pm

M.Steiner
My Twitter timeline is depressing :(
bowie.jpg
bowie.jpg (285.45 KiB) Viewed 9080 times
As with most people, my tastes in music changed quite a bit through my time as a kid, into my teen years and then adulthood. Looking back, I listened to some pretty questionable music back then, to say the least heh. Throughout the years though there have been a few artists who I've never fallen out of love with and still listen to today, one of those (and the longest) is The Beatles as I've mentioned before, Bon Jovi is another, and David Bowie was in there too. There are very few that I can say that about and I can probably count them all on one hand, but their music has been a part of my life for many, many years.

I just got his Five Years boxset as you see from Twitter and had been listening to it non-stop since Christmas, to then have Blackstar release just last week. "Celebrity deaths" don't usually affect me other than a few thoughts here & there and then moving on (Michael Jackson did, but a lot of that was due to knowing how much he meant to my brother) but waking up to the news of Bowie was a huge shock and has had me on a downer ever since, just couldn't believe it. You sometimes take for granted that people like this are going to be around forever but of course they're not...

He was on my "see live" bucket list:
bowie2.jpg
bowie2.jpg (38.38 KiB) Viewed 9080 times
Knew that it was unlikely I'd ever get to see him since he'd put touring behind him pretty much, but I still hoped that he'd one day decide to do a few one-off shows or a farewell tour and I'd finally get that chance to see him in the flesh. Gutted that I never will as that dream died with him.

There never was and there never will be anyone else quite like Bowie. Always unique & original, forever reinventing himself and his sound. Hell, he even turned his death into a piece of art. "Legend" gets used a lot sometimes but David Bowie definitely was one and his music will be with people forever. A huge loss though and he will be greatly missed.

(Brian Eno)

I uploaded a couple of videos to YouTube:
Here's a few links I shared through Twitter as well: This is great too:
Freddie Mercury & David Bowie — "Under Pressure" a capella

RIP Starman
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:11 am

Whizbang
Whizbang SIzzleteeks @MrWhizbang
Ashes to ashes, funk to funky, rest in peace #RIPDavidBowie you were the weird the world needed. You will be sorely missed
David Bowie was one of those artists who put a seed in your head but you never knew it was there until after you had a chance to mature. He allowed me to mature musically to the point where I noticed his influence in some of my musical tastes and for that I am grateful. But I am also saddened that he will no longer influence the music scene because his passing will have left a void where the shift occurred.

I have purchased the Blackstar album after listening to it in its entirety with my wife the other night and I find it connecting with me more and more as I listen to it. I think this was Bowie's swan song and his ode to the world as he prepared to depart. He spoke about his life and inevitable death in this album and I think it was his coming to terms with life and death and what he left behind. What he left behind wasn't a legacy, but a road map to what people should aspire to and what they should avoid in their rise to becoming a musician.

It has been a surreal last few days and I find myself listening to several tracks that put their imprint on me as a musician and as a music lover.

Truly a sad day and a changing of the guard.....
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:38 pm

M.Steiner
Tweeted this and linked on Discord but incase you missed it:
omikron.jpg
omikron.jpg (123.92 KiB) Viewed 9031 times
NA | EU
David Cage Remembers His First Meeting With David Bowie

Nice of them :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Return to “General Discussions”