The SSX Anime and Manga suggestions

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:25 pm

SL33PY
S1on wrote:Oh dear you seem to be missing Gungrave.
i saw gungrave... damn *makes mental note to put it in his list*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:02 am

Stracius
I'd have to agree about appleseed being an eye-candy movie with a so-so storyline. Great graphics, but I was left unimpressed with the plot.

Anyone read the Mangas Akumetsu or Karin? I was following a release by one of my favorite groups before they stalled out on them. Debating whether or not to purchase copies. ... That's *if* there's an english translation for either of them :sweat:

Oh, and to toss on a few more into the flames:
Full Metal Panic (& Fumoffu!)
Gun Parade March
Twelve Kingdoms (Wonderful character development & Storyline. One of the best I've seen)
Now and Then, Here and There (An absolute must. If you haven't seen it, Do So Now!)
Beyond the Clouds
Petit Cossette (if you enjoy dementia)
Furi Kuri (or FLCL, depending on whom you ask)
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (for those of you who enjoy a good drama anime. Warning, do not watch if you're recovering from any sad animes [Evangelion, Saikano, etc])

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:22 am

BlackDove
Mmmmmm Full Metal Panic The Second Raid insofar as well.

Well on par with Full Metal Panic.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:00 pm

SSX-Killjoy
Yeah I have been watching the FMP: Second Raid as well.. Very interesting twists in the story... Gonna be crazy to see how this one finishes, no?
================================
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.
================================

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:26 pm

BlackDove
Aye. FMP didn't really conclude it, and I really hope this one will.

They're on the right track so far. That's for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:45 pm

ILikeSwords
Eh I'm new here so I thought I would start making an impact here. =)

Oh n I found this site v.i.a. Carlos a.k.a. Lightning

Some anime/mangas I would suggest:

Bleach - Anime and Manga
One Piece - Anime and Manga
Naruto - Anime and Manga
Ah! My goddess - Anime sucked go for the Manga :)
Tenjou Tenge - Same for this one
Beet the Vandal Buster - Anime and Manga
FMP:TSR - Watched mainly the Anime Haven't read the manga yet
Ai Yori Aoshi - Anime and Manga
Gantz - I've only read the Manga
Hunter X Hunter - Manga
Mai Hime- Manga
School Rumble - Anime and Manga...Not what u think it is :)
Trinity Blood - Anime - for those who like vamire series
Tsubasa Chronicle - Anime - for those who have watched cardcaptor sakura you will know these characters
Flame of Recca - Anime and Manga
Ghost in the Shell 1st GiG and 2nd GiG - Anime
Last Exile- Anime
Monster- Anime
Read or Die Movie and TV series

hm...all i can think of atm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:04 am

Inquisitor
Read or Die confused me.

I really enjoyed Last Exile, though, caught it by accident on Tivo one night. Scoured the program schedule for the whole series, watched it religiously.

Is it over? The story seemed to wrap up.
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:05 am

Syn
Just got eps 1-4 of Samurai 7, makes me want to go rent The Seven Samurai.
That is a good thing, btw.
bah my forums is dead, so it is removed from my sig...

Btw, I'm making a game, it will be awesome, you will look forward to it.[/hype]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:08 am

Inquisitor
The Seven Samurai is very, very long.

I like the Western Rip off a whole lot too ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:33 am

Syn
Inquisitor wrote:I like the Western Rip off a whole lot too ;)
lol, it was a greek story, Seven Against Thebes, for a couple thousand years before either of them. :lol:

But yeah, Yul Brenner as a cowboy, whats not to like!
bah my forums is dead, so it is removed from my sig...

Btw, I'm making a game, it will be awesome, you will look forward to it.[/hype]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:04 pm

BlackDove
One of the mods needs to edit my post.

Can't do it myself, it locks the computer up for some reason. Not that the reason is unknown, the computer sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:20 pm

Fenavian
My reccomendations:

Ghost in the Shell 1st and 2nd Gigs ( I do not reccomend the movies however...)
Samurai Champloo
Gungrave
Eatman 98
Ninja Scroll (The movie only.)
Princess Mononoke (Sp?)
Transformer's Galaxy Force ( Not the dubbed crap the call Cybertron here in the US. )
Last Exile
Samurai 7
Read or Die
Full Metal Alchemist
Trigun (again the subbed version not the dubbed version.)
Twelve Kingdoms
Macross Plus
Vampire Hunter D 1 and 2
Patlabor The whole series and movies
Flame of Recca
Record of the Lodoss Wars
Wolf's Rain

That's about it for my suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:13 pm

base
A mix of films, series and a game or two:

Ghost in the shell (1+2 and the stand alone complex 1+2)
Noir
Paranoia Agent
Cowboy Bebop
Appleseed
Spirited Away
Zone of the Enders (and Delores)
Final Fantasy 7: AC
Patlabor 1 + 2
Metropolis
Perfect Blue
Grave of Firelies

If you haven't seen some of these - check them out if you think they are up your street.

I've been checking on some of your suggestions and my next ones to watch are

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Serial Experiments Lain
Blackjack
Sky Blue
Bleach
Ryoko/Deluxe
InvadeSpace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:18 pm

Padishar
BlackDove wrote:One of the mods needs to edit my post.

Can't do it myself, it locks the computer up for some reason. Not that the reason is unknown, the computer sucks.
Sorry to hear about your puter troubles, will update the list as soon as I get back from shopping.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:52 pm

BlackDove
No prob.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:21 am

Padishar
list updated

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:12 pm

Brandonheat
Take a guess on my recommendation :D

<-- :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:08 am

Stracius
Transformers and Gungrave? I never really did get into the former, even as a kid. The latter was passing decent, but I didn't really think it overly good. Some nice plot twists, and the fights weren't too bad. The ending irked me a bit though. Maybe just because my view of friendship differs from Brandon Heat's :p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:17 pm

Eriyalle
A lot of my favorites have already been recommended, so I'll try to stick to ones I love that I didn't catch in the previous posts, all anime, unfortunately I don't get to the local book store enough to read all the manga.

Sci Fi / Fantasy
Wolf's Rain (series)
Howl's Moving Castle (movie)

Samarui / Fighting
Shura no Toki (series)
Otogi Zoshi (series)

Romance / Comedy
Ai Aori Aoshi (series, and follow-up -enishi)
Chobits (series)
Whisper of the Heart (movie)

Military / Action / Comedy
Full Metal Panic (series... and anything affiliated, this is my alltime favorite)

Sports / Family Fun / Cute
Angelic Layer
Kaleido Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:24 pm

Padishar
updated

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:57 am

Metroid
I have some recommendations:

One Piece. Its pretty goofy, but the animation is really good. Also the fights are verywell done. The OST is good aswell and the best of all, its still running 250+ episodes already.
And one thing you probably wouldnt expect, its funny as hell.

Monster. Its a very very deep psychological thriller, the story progression is very slow, but really really detailed and perfectly worked out.

School Rumble. Great comedy without ecchi, nothing more to say. the second season is currenty running

Yakitate Japan. This serie is about BREAD, now dont go all wtf on me here, its really funny and good. So you are probably wondering how a story involving only bread can be good, well its all about contests, making a better bread than your enemy. And the judges all get insane reactions upon eating the bread, which reflects how good it was. And most importantly its all based on truth, there are no made up breads, and its really detailed aswell.
You should definately try this one out. I think the manga is better than the anime though.
"Who is to say that outcasts are wrong in what they do?"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:26 pm

Padishar
Padishar wrote:updated
hehe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:59 pm

Padishar
Running thru different people's suggestions here, I recently checked out Appleseed and it was really good :thumb:
Good Story and I like the various animation techniques used in teh movie :cool:

Help me Doctor Mil, Choose the anime for me! PART1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:21 am

Mil
There are many anime out there, and they consume time, this topic is to guide ppl to some good anime instead of wasting their time to dig some good stuff from the bad ones. We dont live forever you know lol.

This topic MAY lead you to some interesting anime to watch, choosing an anime at the end is hard because it all depends on tastes, different people like different anime for different reasons.

HOWEVER, what I will list here are some unique anime (a MUST see ones) with more possiblity that almost all people will like it :thumb:
I will avoid listing anime with too many episodes that reaches 2k plus.. i mean 200 ofcourse lol, like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, or any well-known anime like Samurai X (Kenshin is too bloody, dont show this infront of your small innocent kids :eek: ), or Yu-gi-oh (Pokemon-like but you need to gather cards, think Aces and 2 Jokers lol j/k, its a great show), and some other well-known TV anime shows.

You may list your interests in anime, in other words, what you seek in anime, things that if you dont find it in some anime, then you just dont watch them.. that will help me suggest some anime specifically for you.
Note: Yes, list your interests in here because now it is part of this topic.

MC: Anyway, let us start on our topic and enough with the introduction part!
Doctor Mil: Hey! but I want to talk more here...
MC: I said NO!! BEGIN NOW :mad:
Doctor Mil: ...sorry O_O;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Utawarerumono
Total Episodes: 26

Story: Our middle-aged Hero lost all his memory, he cant even remember his name, he wears a devil-like mask on his face that he cant remove for some unknown reason. He starts in a village, but soon all that changes around him, he is the leader of an army with too many great warriors around him and lots of wars to win.

Type: if you like and watch anime for a good story, some action in wars, social moments as well, and some fun episodes as well.. then you must see this.

Doctor Mil's Opinion: It is very unique, the characters are lovable and the story is just too good, most ppl will like this one.. in short, This anime is a MUST see.

Hell Girl (Jigoku Shoujo << Japanese title)

Story: A girl from Hell, she helps ppl get revenge if they send the name of the one they hate to her on her online site, and the site only opens at midnight 12:00 sharp, Hell girl will kill the one you want but in return, when you die, your soul will be taken to Hell without any judgement, and without any chance of seeing Heaven.

Type: Horror, very scary when you imagine yourself in 1 of those 26 episodes.. I suggest you dont show this to small children or any weak-heart person, just to be safe, even if you think it is not that scary.

Doctor Mil's Opinion: My hair jumps when I watch this anime, it is very realistic, an image of our real life problems and a lesson to all of us that shows how to live your life the right way, you will like it more when the male hero of this anime arrives to put a stop to all this Hell Girl system! simply I give this anime 5 stars.. in short, This anime is a MUST see.

Mujin Wakusei SURVIVE
Total Episodes: 52

Story: An adventure of 7 children and a cat robot who are living in the future, where ppl live on other planets with more advanced technology, and the planet we call Earth is no longer green.. Life goes on however, those 7 kids will get lost on a planet with no possible way to contact their colony, their struggle to survive begins!

Type: Adventure in general, suitable and entertaining for all, from kids to adults.

Doctor Mil's Opinion: this anime is a "Masterpiece", it is simply AMAZING, the characters' personalities are really that great, and the story can never get better than this! simply I give this 5 stars.. in short, This anime is a MUST see.

Erementar Gerad

Story: There goes our normal kid hero with nothing special about him, he meets a girl that is in fact some kind of a powerful human from a unique tribe, this girl accepts our hero and helps him out by fusing with the little hero, he gets stronger when fused with her, our hero promised himself he will get stronger so he can protect the girl and others as well from the bad guys.

Type: Adventure, Fantasy, and some action now and then.

Doctor Mil's Opinion: this anime is nice, shows how strong a relationship can be and also how pure characters are cool lol.. well, I cant promise anything but most ppl will probably like this one.. in short, It is an above average anime.

Samurai 7

Story: the story of 7 samurai who took a stand to defeat the undefeatable force of bandits organization, to protect weak and poor ppl from all the bad things that organization did to them.

Type: Action, Drama, and some little comedy in some episodes.

Doctor Mil's Opinion: Dont expect a "happy ending", this anime is a burst of courage and a show of bravery, some promising action, but not TOO much action, the story takes 75% of the time in all the episodes, but it is still an interesting well-made anime.. in short, It is an above average anime.

Fruits Basket

Story: A normal girl as the main character in this show, meets with some ppl that turns into animals?, soon she finds herself living with them instead of freaking out lol, but there is a big problem and needs someone to solve it.. it all starts with the Cat and the Mouse...

Type: LOTS of Comedy and IT WILL make you laugh, Drama, some funny fight/action scenes.

Doctor Mil's Opinion: ROFL, this anime is the best for a big laugh!, lovable characters, add to that a fantastic story with a GOOD ending too, an anime for all, nothing to hide in this anime, ALL kids may watch this too.. I give it 5 stars and another 5 stars because its suitable for all ages.. in short, This anime is a MUST see.

S-CRY-ED (some weird name for an anime O_o)

Story: OMG, this anime's hero is a WEIRDO!.. he is just insane, will do anything to get more power, he is still human after all who takes care of ppl and help them out, he is just wild and hard to take him down, HARDER to control.. about the story, ppl live in a small area in this anime where some of them are infested with some extraordinary powers.

Type: Action, and ahh... more Action, then umm..... Action again? lol

Doctor Mil's Opinion: A nice show of force, there are lots of ways to live your life, and all you need is to know what is wrong and what is right, how you live your life after that is up to you lol, just like our monkey hero in this anime :D anyway, its too great and speaks for itself, no dirt on this anime.. good for some action business.. in short, It is an above average anime.

Excel Saga
Total episodes: 26

Story: A CRAZY girl is the main character!! she is just TOO CRAZY, and thats what makes this show WAY better than most comedy anime you might see, she works for her boss, she is loyal and she does any work even if it is near impossible.

Type: Comedy x2, this show is full of it, even when it gets tough and you expect some real action, you get some funny stuff that will MAKE you laugh for sure. Some of this might not be suitable for young children, so please watch it alone before sharing it with others (more like for adults I guess, you can judge after watching it).

Doctor Mil's Opinion: ROFL x2!! one of the best Comedy anime I ever watched, expect to laugh in any second, very crazy, very funny, but I will give it only 5 stars (the other 5 stars are for all ages but this one is kind of more for adults I guess).. in short, This anime is a MUST see for a good laugh.

Jubei-chan
First season's Total Episodes: 13
Second season's Total Episodes: 13

Story: The story begins when the famous samurai Jubei is near death because of age, he gives his student a mission to search for someone worthy of wearing his "Lovely-shaped Eye patch" (some other eye patch than the black one he has on his popped up), His student took it seriously and began his search for that worthy person that will obtain the power of the lovely eye patch, however, there were some difficulties and 300 years passed, he finally found a girl that matches the hints Jubei gave him, the story continues...

Type: Comedy, Drama, some VERY COOL sword fights, and it is kinda for adults.. this one is prolly not for small children.

Doctor Mil's Opinion: ROFL x2!! it is funny just like Excel Saga BUT, they focused on other factors in this anime, like drama and action with swords along with comedy, Excel Saga got only comedy in it, both of them are great anime but sadly not suitable for all ages, again, if you want to judge this on your own, watch it alone before sharing it with others (this one is adults only so I wont give it the other 5 stars for all ages), I give this anime 5 stars (well-made and too funny, thats why).. in short, This anime is a MUST see for a good laugh.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MC: Nice, now I can go watch some of those!
Doctor Mil: Didnt know that you watch anime, what kind you like?
MC: I like BLOOD! yes yesss!! I want to see some kills and dies in anime!! BLOOD~! WOOT.
Doctor Mil: ... you really need a doctor, why dont you come see me after this show?
MC: WHAT? :mad: you think am INSANE?? bah, go play doctor on kids haha, well then, time to end this show...
Doctor Mil: But I didnt finish yet...
MC: OMG you want to TALK MORE? enough of that, give ppl a break will you? let them go watch the stuff you talked about, leave some other stuff for the next part of the show (PART2 he means hehe).
Doctor Mil thinking: (This MC is too much, I will ask the Directer to replace him for the next show...)
MC: I know your thinking of replacing me :p , who CARES?!
Doctor Mil: O_o; um.. I believe this show is over already and you scare me too much.. I mean... I have to go home soon!
MC: you heard the doc, seeya next time but we will accept your replies and will contact you if you have any question.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note: well, I didnt miss this sticky actually, I made all this in a new topic to make it easy on me to know when someone replies.. not to mention it is kind of a guide style and a little long because its a show hehe. Anyway, there is no harm in merging it in here.
Look forward to see PART2 in this sticky anytime soon.. Doctor Mil :D
Friendship is the color of Life.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:58 am

SSX Fahd
Here are my recommendations:

Anime released on DVD (for R1):
Crest of the stars
Banner of the stars I
Banner of the Stars II
Gunslinger girl
Martian successor Nadesico

Anime soon to be released on DVD (for R1):
Kanon - 2006 ver. (by Kyoto Anim.)

Anime not released on DVD (for R1):
Banner of the stars III
Kanon - 2002 ver. (by Toei Anim.)
Sola

Anime still airing:
Hayate the combat butler

Since I'm too lazy (:p) to provide descriptions I've linked AniDB for each series.
Last edited by SSX Fahd on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fahd, IM Prog's: See profile, Linky: TechSnap Video Podcast
"In the computer world few people read the 'readme.txt' files. In the real
world, few people read the signs that say 'Stand on the right'
" - Fahd.

Return to “Anime”