Autumn 2012 [Sep > Nov]

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Autumn 2012 [Sep > Nov]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:27 pm

M.Steiner
Yar, it's that time again! [ Chart ]
Thankfully the Autumn season looks a lot better than the summer one has been. I think I'll end up watching a couple more shows this time around now that I'm not watching a massive show like Kenshin at the same time.

Definitely watching:
  • Psycho-Pass (TBA | noitaminA) <- Just waiting for a synopsis for this one before I make my mind up. This and Robotics;Notes are the 2 noitaminA shows for this season but other than that there's nothing else to go on just yet. *Moving this up to definites now more details have been released and it's from Production I.G. too.
  • Robotics;Notes (Production I.G | noitaminA) <- The first 2 installments of 5pb's "Science Adventure series" were Chaos;Head & Steins;Gate. Robotics;Notes is the third.
  • Shinsekai yori (A-1 Pictures) <- PV here.
  • - Bakuman 3 (J.C. Staff) <- Third season.
Most likely:
  • Ixion Saga DT (Brains Base) <- Might watch simply because it's from Brains Base. Albeit neither this or the show below are from the amazing Takahiro Omori (director of the following) but Baccano!, Durarara!!, Natsume Yuujinchou & Hotarubi no Mori e are all from the Brains Base studio too. May wait to read reviews after the first ep though.
  • Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (Brains Base) <- Same as the above.
  • Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! (Kyoto Animation) <- Might watch this as it's a KyoAni show.
Not sure:
  • - Jormungand 2 (White Fox) <- Second season but I haven't decided whether I can be arsed watching this or not. It will probably depend on how many shows become definite watches for me as I didn't think the first season was that great tbh and I may be watching enough as it is.
Some movies too though we'll have to wait for subs ofc: The Third Exhaust, Madoka Magica Movies, Resident Evil Damnation & the third rebuild of Evangelion movie. May watch this Macross FB7 movie too but given how Macross 7 was the worst there is I won't be in any rush :p

[Edit] Posted by final list further down :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Autumn 2012 [Sep > Nov]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
It's far too early for this as usual! That chart is no-where near final yet :p

Taking a quick look at the unfinished chart, the following shows catch my eye: Jormungand Season 2, Initial D Fifth Stage, Robotics;Notes, Zetsuen no Tempest.

That list will probably change between now and the season actually starting. I'll post an update as we get closer, and will include reasons at that time :)

Also, not going to watch Mass Effect: Paragon Lost MS? :p
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:33 pm

M.Steiner
Nah I doubt I'll watch that unless it actually turned out to be good heh :p. I may swap in Zetsuen no Tempest though, a psychological mystery drama may be good...
And it's september next saturday so I've not posted it too early! :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:04 pm

M.Steiner
There's an updated chart for the Autumn season gone up btw. Can view it here.
Most of these shows start at the beginning of Oct so only 3 weeks from now :)

Psycho-Pass can join my definite watch list with the other 3 but will leave the rest where they are for the time being I think.
Magi is a maybe too...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:06 am

Stracius
Am I the only one around here that actually liked and enjoyed Jormungand?

Buncha weirdos.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I enjoyed Jormungand! Pretty sure BD did too.

I haven't checked the new chart yet, but probably will do some time this weekend then update my list accordingly. Not watched a lot of anime lately, so I still have a lot of Hakuouki to catch up on too.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:55 pm

M.Steiner
Oh I didn't dislike it or anything, I just didn't think it was anything particularly special that's all.
If I don't pick it up as it airs I'll most likely marathon my way through it later on just to see what happens. Since it's not that I don't want to see it at all, I just don't feel too fussed about whether I follow it episode by episode for 12 weeks or whatever so left it in my not sure list for now :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:12 pm

M.Steiner
hmm!. Psycho-Pass gets even more interesting. Not just a new sci-fi police show from Production I.G. but one of the main guys (Gen Urobuchi) working on this did Madoka Magica (<3), worked on Phantom and is also the original creator of Fate/Zero too. This was already on my definite list but this certainly piqued my interest some more. Probably my most anticipated atm, anyone else going to check it out?

- Removing Ixion Saga DT from my list as I don't like the look of it so much and it's based on a video game too.
- Decided not to watch Magi.
- Not going to follow Jormungand 2 as it airs either but will marathon my way through it once it has finished airing or when there are only a few eps left.

- Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun looks quite funny actually so I'll watch the first ep and see if I want to watch more. It's Brains Base so it could be really great and I get a slight Baccano feel from it, just a little.
- Will watch the first ep or two of Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai and see if I want to continue that too but it's KyoAni so chances are I will.
- Zetsuen no Tempest interests does interest me but I think I'll be watching enough as it is. Will wait and hear what others think of this and then pick it up later if it's decent. Will you be watching this, Anny? :)

So my final list for shows:

Psycho-Pass (Oct 11th)
Robotics;Notes (Oct 11th)
Shin Sekai Yori (Sep 28th)
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (Oct 1st)
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! (Oct 3rd)
-Bakuman 3 (Oct 6th)

First of these shows to start airing is Shin Sekai Yori next friday. Psycho-Pass and Robotics;Notes both air the day before Dishonored releases in Europe so that's an easy date to remember isn't it? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I think aside from those I already listed, Psycho Pass is the only other show that interests me. So the shows I'm likely to pick up are (in no particular order):

- Jormungand
- Initial D Fifth Stage
- Robotics;Note
- Zetsuen no Tempest (so yes MS, will watch this at some point indeed!)
- Psycho Pass

Having listed those though, I am not sure exactly when I'll get to them. I haven't watched any anime in a few weeks now, and am currently immersed in both books and TV, so I am not sure when I'll feel like starting some more shows yet. So these are ones I'll probably watch, but won't 100% commit to just yet :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:37 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:I haven't watched any anime in a few weeks now, and am currently immersed in both books and TV, so I am not sure when I'll feel like starting some more shows yet.
Anny slacking on his anime? What has the world come to!
We need to get some more Geass and Macross into your system heh :p

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:
Anubis wrote:I haven't watched any anime in a few weeks now, and am currently immersed in both books and TV, so I am not sure when I'll feel like starting some more shows yet.
Anny slacking on his anime? What has the world come to!
We need to get some more Geass and Macross into your system heh :p
They need to release some more so that it can be hooked up to my veins! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:12 pm

M.Steiner
New PV :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:13 pm

M.Steiner
Best OP of the season.
Am I the only person here watching this atm? or anything from this season infact? I won't keep posting and spamming the thread if I am lol :p

Really diggin' Psycho-Pass so far though!, it's like Ghost in the Shell meets Minority Report heh. Of course it has a long way to go before it reaches the SAC level of awesomeness but we're only 2 weeks in (22 eps) and it definitely has potential. Will keep watching for sure.
My other favourite is Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun which has been a surprise tbh, I expected to like it as it's a Brains Base show (just not from their best director who did DRRR/Natsume/Baccano) but I'm enjoying this one far more than I thought I would. (Also Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! has been pretty good too but only if you like KyoAni's stuff, I know that's not everyones cup of tea)

Robotics;Notes... Only seen ep 1 so far but will be watching ep 2 later this evening. For the time being I'm going to reserve judgement as I haven't made my mind up on it just yet. Just from episode 1 though? it's no Steins;Gate, not by a long way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Keep posting ;)

I'm not watching anything yet, but will be at some point and am interested in your views on how things are :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:00 pm

BlackDove
JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also, while that OP is good, the ED is better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:36 pm

M.Steiner
Ahh, good to see I'm not the only person watching ;)
and yep the ED is great too, best OP and ED of the season really.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:19 am

Anubis
Site Admin
So, with the last episode of Hunted being tomorrow I might try and pick up a show or two at last. Recommendations if I were to only pick up two?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:12 pm

M.Steiner
Hmm. It's tough for me to pick just 2 if I'm honest, this is why I always end up watching so many shows lol :p
I will try though, lets see...

From this season I am watching:

Bakuman 3
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
K
Psycho-Pass
Robotics;Notes
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
  • Bakuman 3 is a continuation. It's a great show but you'd need to get the 50 eps from season 1 & 2 watched first so we can discount this one for now.
  • I'm not sure what you'd make of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai, it's similar to Hyouka/Haruhi (same studio) but you've not seen those so it's hard to judge as KyoAni shows aren't for everyone (I tend to love em). This would probably be my 3rd fav of this season but we'll skip this one as a recommendation since it's a bit of a risk if you're only picking a couple of shows up.
  • K is the show I said was looking a little bit like DRRR!!. Gangs, bit of mystery, supernatural elements. Not as good as Durarara was, at least so far, but I'm liking it so perhaps you will too. (7/13 have aired, ep 8 out tonight sometime)
  • Psycho-Pass has been the best show of this season by far imo so we'll call this a safe bet and recommendation #1. (6/22 have aired, ep 7 out later today)
  • Robotics;Notes. I was really disappointed by this but it has since started to grow on me 6 weeks in. It's no Steins;Gates but maybe it will continue to grow with time, it's another 22 ep series so it's still early. It's not a top pick of mine atm though.
  • Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is a comedy romance from the same studio (Brains Base) as Natsume, DRRR!!, Baccano! & Hotarubi no Mori e. I thought I'd give it a try as it's only 13 episodes and I've liked every Brains Base show I've seen so far and this has turned out to be my second favourite of this season actually. I was surprised by how much I've enjoyed this one as whilst it is a Brains Base show it is not from the same director as the other shows mentioned.
There's Jormungand 2 as well but I'm not watching this until it's finished airing personally so I can't say how good that has been. Was too many other shows I wanted to checkout instead but I'll be marathoning this once it's finished airing. Only 12 eps so I'll have it watched in a couple of sittings.
BD is watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure too but this is one I'm not watching.

All this being said however, if you're open to suggestions for other shows from previous seasons you've missed I'd recommend Space Brothers from the Spring season instead of a second show from this one. I didn't pick this up originally but did do later on due to BD's recommendation. It's still airing now (33 eps so far) but it has been fantastic and one I'd highly recommend too. Really good show :)

So my 2 recommendations would be Psycho-Pass from this season and Space Brothers from the Spring season. - If the second show has to be from Autumn I'd say Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun or K.
Hope this helps mate. Will look forward to hearing your thoughts on which ever shows you decide to pick up! :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Syn'n
Personally, I'd recommend K, Psycho-Pass, and Robotic;Notes. Chuuniboyou made little sense to me. Sword Art Online, Code Breaker and BTOOOM! are fairly decent too. Again personal opinion here. Not like I can actually write a decent review.. I just watch what I like.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:45 am

Kon
I've been blazing through Psycho-Pass and should be caught up within a week. This show gets better with each episode. So far this is looking to be beating out Mirai Nikki and Fate/Zero.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:07 pm

M.Steiner
Some of you probably knew about this already as I'm a little late to the party it seems, but incase not - it was announced earlier this month that the production of a second season of Psycho-Pass is already underway. Awesome news!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Kon
Thanks for the heads up. Some comments seem to dispute the translation of the source. Apparently this could just be a movie or OVA. Anything is fine with me, really. Perhaps a movie would actually be better than stretching it out for another season, considering where things left off.

That said, Psycho-Pass is still my top anime of the past year, even with these past few great seasons. Really looking forward to any new material.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

Return to “Anime”