Heads up of possible changes... :)

Moderators: EvE Moderators, Global Moderators

Heads up of possible changes... :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:17 pm

SSX-Killjoy
In the beginning there was Eve... And it was good.

But then.. there was Star Trek Online.. and the jury is still out.. ;)

Basically over this last week, I have been hearing nothing but good coming from those that play STO closed Beta, and so I find myself in a quandry. Myself, my wife, and my sister (as well as her husband) are all Trekkers and love anything Star Trek (within reason of course). I had originally dismissed the game due to the fact that an MMO Bridge commander was not a great idea in my mind. But it looks like they have actually gone more of the Eve type of route adding in the one thing Eve is missing: Walking around (sans Dust 514).

The big thing is there is definitely stuff missing from STO that might make it more of a fun casually played game than a true Eve Killer for me. I haven't explored enough to see if there is a trade-esk type of system, or even plans for future expansions of the content. Certainly the lack of actual ship variety is a bit of a slight turn off, although it does appear they have spent a lot of time making them highly customizable, so the variety maybe more in the fixtures than the actual ships.

Anyways, I digress. The main thing is why i am posting. I have a feeling that if I like STO I will probably let my Eve account slide. Eve has been my addiction for awhile now, and I still love it. But if they have pulled out what I thought was impossible with the ST license then there is a good chance I will stop playing. From the looks of it STO would be easier for my sister and wife to get into as well. So good chance they may switch all together anyways.

So the question is really planning for that eventuality. STO doesn't come out until Feb, so there is time to discuss and plan for eventualities.

----------------------------------------

1) What does this mean for the future of Rock?
It is safe to say that the original plans for Rock are still working, although the main players are far more limited in time than they used to be. Referring back to Caligstar's main complaint that there is no one online. Now Theo has an account in Rock, but there are no roids to mine currently. The last haul of 540 was brought in by DesertGirl and myself, so we have some good acid to sell here tomorrow I believe. So it still does work, and still generates money, but it is not for lack of a better term a busy tower. Is Rock something we want to maintain? Is it still working for people? Should we roll back to Sirius?

2) Should I keep ownership of the tower?
The tower is currently owned by me, but it was launched for corp, so it is maintainable by members of the corp regardless of ownership. So in those terms it is mind of a mote question. Should I just keep the tower, or would it be easier to sell the tower to someone in the corp so that concern over tower is handled by someone who is still playing. Most if not all the faction modules for the tower are also mine, so I would assume any sales of the tower would also include those modules. On the flip side I still have a med TS tower if anyone wants to purchase it.

3) Will there be players in Rock?
It is safe to say that while we have a lot of pilots logged out in Rock, the actual visitation of Rock by said pilots has been rather low. Will people still be playing from Rock? Or will new players be stuck with no one to fly with. Admittedly lately it has been more difficult to find easy to harvest/mine spaces in our Dangerous wormhole connections. With my work keeping me away from Eve most of the day now, and on some weekends, I only have nights left now. Which works for me, but I am 2 hours behind most of us in Rock, and soon to be 3 hours once Day light savings kicks in. Which just further complicates play times. So Just would like to get a consensus of what people's plans are.

---------------

Thoughts, complaints, all input good at this point. I just want to make sure that everything still works if I suddenly end up not playing.
================================
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.

Re: Heads up of possible changes... :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:16 pm

SL33PY
Awww please don't go... I'm so close to actually starting in EVE :(

I guess I'll wait till the jury is out on STO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:35 pm

Ozany
Was informed of this late last night before KJ came in to gen this post. As of now, I will continue to maintain Sirius fueled pending a decision on Rock. Sirius does not have the higher class wormhole access that Rock presents, nor does it have the extra EMBU pressence to assist in fleet operations when they are online, however Sirius does present fairly consistant low sec entrances and easier sleepers. Its up to the corp how we procede, so lets hear what you all have to say. :thumb:

Ozany

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:50 pm

SSX-Killjoy
"So say we all!"
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Zephir
You know open beta started today and runs until the 26th.

http://www.startrekonline.com/openbeta

Fileplanet and Ten Ton Hammer have keys available, and you don't even need a premium account on either of those sites :)

Zeph.
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:34 am

Kon
Word on the street is that STO has a lot more in common with WoW than EVE. You don't want to waste your money on that crap. You're not going anywhere.

So say the one who matters. :p
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:38 am

Stracius
In the event that the STO MMO doesn't turn into a craptacular spectacle, and actually sucks ppl away from the superior EVE universe, I'll probably take over the tower from Kj. Affording it won't be a problem, though admittedly I haven't been on as much as usual of late. I'm just curious as to what he'd do with all those iskies.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:17 pm

Ozany
Well, if they are truely leaving for good, then I would suggest a turn over to corp wallet in the eventuality that they returned, the corp could turn around and repay them. This would do a couple of things:

1.) Allow for proper use/investment of the iskies by the corp til their return.
2.) Allow the active corp as a whole in eve to continue benefitting from their individual achievements
3.) Provide a safe means of storing said investment in the ss-x eve community, as we all know that they will return ;D

Ozany

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:31 pm

LilySue
Since I was able to get a Open Beta key and I am part of the reason KJ is looking at STO so closely I thought I would give my option of EVE vs STO. -- Just to warn you though, I'm not a true gamer and have only played Eve and STO.

Let's start with the good about STO...

1. Star Trek feel - you even get the computer warning you when you are in battle.
2. Everything is customizable and in color!! From my characters clothes to the ships I can make them any color I want. I love color and although they are missing pink they have enough other colors to make me very happy.

Now that not so good...

1. I used to think Eve's point and click was annoying, until I played STO with it's aswd contols. Let's just say I run in to the walls most of the time. I am now a HUGE fan of point and click.
2. I die... a lot. In Eve I have only lost my ship 1x. Part of that is due to all the help I got to upgrade ships but mostly STO starts out a lot harder than Eve. I didn't really feel like I was in beginner missions.
3. The chat room is terrible! All of your stats post to it and I couln't figure out how to shut them off. Could be me but I'm not sure. I also miss all the SSX, it's nice to know you have friends.
4. I die... a lot.

My vote right now is to stick with Eve. I die a lot less in Eve. :-) Besides... It only takes me a 1/2 hr to scan a worm hole now. :)

-LilySue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:27 am

Stracius
LilySue wrote: Besides... It only takes me a 1/2 hr to scan a worm hole now. :)
:lol: Best reason so far!

Well, in defense of STO, those are things I'd expect from a beta test. Bit surprised you're not finding more critical things to complain about, really. The disgusting part is when games are released w/out fixing some of those very same problems you spoke of, and then the developer/publisher makes a patch them at some later point (and sometimes not at all).

As for dying... ah well, at least I've heard there's no penalty for dying at this point in the STO universe... just respawn and go die again :)
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:30 am

Theoroshia
How does the ship system work? Are there skills, or...?

Return to “EvE Online”