Stability Issues

Moderators: EvE Moderators, Global Moderators

Stability Issues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:30 am

Stracius
As a couple of you may have noted from chatting in-game, my computer is suffering from sporadic, unpredictable full-system reboots. I'm in the process of troubleshooting my computer and hopefully eliminating the problem, but I figured I'd let you guys know that I may end up being absent for (hopefully) brief periods of time. With any luck it'll be something I can isolate and fix, but in the worse-case scenario my MoBo or RAM may be on the verge of completely frying.

I won't be able to immediately replace it either, as they no longer make boards that support my archaic components (HDD, GPU, CPU, RAM). More money than I can spare for now.

Anyway, thought I'd just give you all a heads up.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

Re: Stability Issues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:53 am

Ozany
If it is the MoBo, best of luck finding a replacement. Ebay normally has old items listed, as do some clearance sites like http://www.pricewatch.com.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:33 pm

Theoroshia
I hate installing new motherboards. Hopefully it is something more simple than that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:51 am

Stracius
Well the memory seems fine after a 9 hour test; 18 passes with no errors, and my cpu isn't overheating. If I replace the mobo, everything else *has* to get replaced, which is the problem. I don't expect I'd settle for a new system for less than 900'ish minimum, which I don't have laying around at the moment :p . Ech, monitor too.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:12 am

SSX-Wedge
Are you running any sort of Overclock?
YOu could also ask some of the guys over at Overclock.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:10 am

Isileth
Even if you haven't oced it you can go to worse sites for help.

Although you can be sure someone will suggest you pop it in the oven.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:21 pm

Stracius
Not OC'd, or that would've been the first thing I looked at. Pretty sure it's my MoBo, as I went to start it today and got a BIOS checksum error... Yup, it's gone. I can't even access the BIOS. I'll try to drop in from time to time on school computers, but otherwise I'm w/out a machine until I arrange for a replacement. Get some HoS kills for me while I'm gone, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:40 pm

Whizbang
What sort of a board do you use?
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:33 am

Stracius
http://www.asus.com/999/html/events/mb/ ... erview.htm

Not that it really matters. As Bones would tell Cpt. Kirk, "It's dead, Jim!"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:23 am

Stracius
Rumors of my computer's death may have been premature. I'm investigating a possible keyboard conflict. Yeah, keyboard. I cleared my CMOS by unplugging my comp for a few hours, and that seems to have reset the BIOS. No reboots since swapping back to my original keyboard. BIOS checksum was likely caused by the frequent reboots... We shall see.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:21 am

SSX-Wedge
I have heard of some Asus boards having problems with USB Keyboards

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:34 am

Stracius
Well, not the keyboard (PS/2) - I've still had a few random reboots but at least it's still usable for the most part. Off to try something else.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:49 am

Whizbang
Have you tried checking your PSU and make sure it's not on its way out? I know that a bad PSU can cause all sorts of grief without ever truly showing that it is the issue.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:42 am

Stracius
If you can point me to a method to check a PSU other than visually inspecting it, I'm all ears :] (something that doesn't cost the same as a new motherboard or PSU, preferably). It is in my list of suspects though, toward the top. Anyone have any floppy disks laying around? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:26 am

Whizbang
Do you have a spare PSU lying around? That would be the easiest way to test. Take out the current, replace with a spare. See if the problems continue. Not much else to do unless you have a voltage tester that you can attach to a rail and see if it spikes/dips.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:01 am

Ozany
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1107

The computer repair guy that I know recommended this unit, he says he has 2 of them for his shop and home use. It would take a couple days to get it, but its only like 12 bucks.

Ozany

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rder=PRICE For the newegg users I figure I wouldn't leave you out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:19 am

Stracius
No to the spare (at least one that would support my gfx & cpu w/out causing damage), or volt meters, unfortunately.

As for the link, hadn't seen that before, looks like it may have some potential. May have to get one this week and try it, though it doesn't look like it tests for anything more than just whether or not there is juice flowing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 pm

SL33PY
I recently threw away an old amd 754 MoBo, never used... I hope that's not what you were looking for

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:02 pm

Ozany
If you figure out what it is, post it in here, as there are enough of us that have dealt with computer issues in the past, we may have the parts you need to get back online til you can afford an upgrade :P

Ozany

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:53 pm

Stracius
Not the slightest clue. Sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Stracius
Back up and running again. Have a few glitches with new components, but they're fixable at least. Thanks for the support, all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:02 pm

Whizbang
Figure out what was causing you the problem? Or did you just go through a series of possibles, replace what you could, and things are working again?

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:01 am

Ozany
Glad to hear it. I will be in game in a few, maybe you can tell me what your issues were.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Stracius
Mechanus wrote:Or did you just go through a series of possibles, replace what you could, and things are working again?

Pretty much that, yeah. I should probably clarify that it was not a reboot so much as it was a power loss, or a crash - like pulling the plug or flipping the switch on the PSU, and then it would automatically start the boot process. Occurance was completely random, with one exception I'll describe in a bit. It would crash while sitting on my desktop with no programs running, while launching a web browser, while playing EVE or other games, or even during the boot-up/windows loading screen after it had just crashed - :mad: cruel, I know. I could almost garantee 1 crash within 15-20 minutes of initially starting up my computer. After that it was anyone's guess.

My RAM tested fine, and I highly doubt that my video card would cause the power loss. Freeze up or bluescreen, yes; trip the power to the mainboard and reset... eh, unlikely. The only reason why I might suspect it, though, is that when I cranked the graphics up on a star wars game I was playing, the computer reset right as soon as I closed the gfx settings window and went back to the title screen (with panoramic starship fight scenes occurring in the background... ZZZZZZPP!). That's the only time i've ever been able to get a duplicatable power loss. The game ran just fine once I turned the settings to minimum gfx detail (which took a few resets due to requiring a very speedy navigation of the game settings menu :p ).

So that leaves the MoBo and PSU as the main possible culprits, both of which I replaced. New MoBo doesn't support an AGP gfx card so that got replaced too... And some more RAM while I was at it.

I'm limited to 1 IDE slot with 2 IDE HDDs and 2 IDE Optical drives so I'm playing musical drives until I can figure out why my MoBo isn't detecting a cheap seagate SATA drive I picked up too. Not going to be happy if I got a DoA, but at least everything else is working finally :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Ozany
I hate to say it, but it sounds like it may have been your graphics card or psu. From what you described above:

1. Your graphics card may have aged to the point of dragging down your PSU output voltage such that it caused your comp to shutdown on protection of low operating voltage.

2. Your PSU was aged to the point that it was causing low voltage dips (or brown outs) when the higher power needs of the graphics card entering a higher graphics setting.

Either way, the new PSU, graphics and MoBo should work out for you. Sorry to hear about all the remaining issues with your drives. I am sure you'll work it out. BTW, you can still get an IDE adapter PCI card I think, might settle your issues. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=508 For example.

Oz

Return to “EvE Online”