Batman Arkham Asylum

Gears of War, Rainbow Six, Halo 2, Test Drive Unlimited, you name it, we play it.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Batman Arkham Asylum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:11 am

Slacker
If you're lucky enough to be living in Canada, you can pick up the new Batman game for 38.83! I picked up my copy once I saw it there tonight (was also advertised on my 360 dashboard today). I played the demo last night & this is definitely a winner for Batman games. The controls/gameplay were excellent! :thumb: :thumb:
<SSX-Anubis> Did you see the E3 trailer for Hot Pursuit btw?
<SSX-Anubis> That even has me a little tempted

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:33 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Ordered this, demo was pretty great. Thanks for the comments on IRC - helped push me to ordering :D
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:29 pm

Slacker
A shame it doesn't have multiplayer... this is one of the few games we both agree on! :p

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
We agree on it? It's a sign of the apocalpse! Hide the women and children ;)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Slacker
Done! My wife is out of town & my son is at someone else's place right now. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:12 pm

M.Steiner
I may have to download the demo of this.
Never been a fan of Batman (games or movies, just hasn't really appealed to me enough to want to check them out. I'm the same with all other superhero's though not just Batman. - Though the Iron Man movie was great, mebbe i should watch the Dark Knight...), but admittedly the game does look fun. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:20 pm

Slacker
The more I play this, the more I think everyone should at least download the demo to check it out. Definitely worth it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:39 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:I may have to download the demo of this.
Never been a fan of Batman (games or movies, just hasn't really appealed to me enough to want to check them out. I'm the same with all other superhero's though not just Batman. - Though the Iron Man movie was great, mebbe i should watch the Dark Knight...), but admittedly the game does look fun. :)
I'm no big fan of Superheros or Batman in general either - only watch The Dark Knight in fact because BD told me to and kept spamming me about it ;)

It, and the demo for this, are very much in the same vein - dark and gritty rather than "Magic hero saves the world!" which is exactly what always turns me off. The demo for this didn't feel like a Superhero game, just as The Dark Knight didn't feel all that much like a typical Superhero affair. That is why I like it, and camera angle aside I think you might do too :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:02 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Game arrived this morning along with my 12 months of Gold. I'll hopefully get to starting it within a couple of days :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:17 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'm currently about to chase after Doctor Young from the BatCave for those of you who have played this.

Game is great so far: dark and gritty like The Dark Knight, voice acting and script are fantastic (some of the random lines in particular that you hear Joker spouting through speakers when you're running around the grounds), combat is good, visuals are good.

My only issue has to be the camera, which I greatly dislike. I would much rather them have gone for a Prince of Persia style camera, or at least have the option to zoom out away from Batman's back. More centralised positioning and further back away from the character would have made a great improvement imo.

That issue aside though, I wholeheartedly recommend this one. Very very impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:45 am

M.Steiner
I've just ordered this, hopefully it'll arrive on Thu/Fri :)

Game seems very accessible to people like me who aren't very familiar with Batman. Besides knowing the names of some of the characters i don't really know much else about them, or the backstory. So i'm very happy to see from the demo that it's not one of those games which assumes you're already a huge fan and know everything. Demo was great too as i was saying to Anny this afternoon, wanted it to last longer heh. Was enough of a demo to get me to buy it though along with reading the positive comments from you guys and seeing vids.

Looking forward to playing it ^^

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:02 am

Anubis
Site Admin
As I said on IRC, I'm looking forward to seeing your enthusiasm when you get into it heh. I know you'll like it :)

On another note, Combat Challenges are a crime against humanity. 96% complete, all the riddles done, the Chronicles of Arkham mystery solved, the Predator Challenges done, but the accursed combat ones are impossible......I hate them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:29 pm

M.Steiner
Either of you had any corrupt saves? :blank:
Turned my console on and my save file is corrupt. Looks like i'm gonna have to start all over :/
I can't remember whether I had one of those "retry" screens on at the time or whether I just turned the game off. (I don't often exit to the dashboard first before turning my console off, and I've never had any problems with any of the other games I've played, besides, that shouldn't cause a problem anyway.) But, I know for sure I didn't turn the game off during an auto-save too, I know better. So why the hell it's corrupt I don't know...

Incredibly annoying, good job it's a decent game. I just hope it doesn't happen again cos I don't have the patience for that. :sweat:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:29 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I did not encounter that issue - but then again I always return to the Dash before switching the console off. If you didn't turn off during an autosave I'm not sure what the cause could be either.

Pretty annoying, sorry you had to get slapped with the issue :blank: Hopefully it won't take you too long to make up ground though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:13 pm

M.Steiner
Being more careful when turning off from now on, quitting to the main menu etc first just to be safe. I always look out for the autosaving icons before I quit so maybe I turned off just a second or 2 after one had disappeared, mebbe it hadn't finished doing its thing. Only thing I can think of unless other folk have had the same happen.

All is good though as I've caught up again now, and got a little futher too :D
Tracking Quinn's movements in the Botanical Gardens. "Destroy the Titan Production Facility" is the current objective.
. Didn't take me too long since I could remember exactly where to go and could skip the cutscenes I had already seen.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:31 am

Anubis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:20 pm

M.Steiner
Saw this yesterday :D
Don't get me wrong this is great news and was inevitably going to be coming at some point considering how well the first one did, but the first game only came out like.. 3-4 months ago right? It just seems rather soon to me to be announcing Arkham2 and I hope that doesn't lead to it being a disappointment/rushed game. It has a lot to live up to anyway since the first was so good. Should be interesting with Two-face/Harvey Dent as well though, and I do hope the second game is a bit longer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:06 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I don't see the problem with it being so soon myself. This way the same development team can be working on it, and the team will all still be 'in the zone' as opposed to having to get their heads back around the franchise again after a year of working on something else.

This was one of the top contenders for GOTY for me, and when games like that come I'm happy to see them made the most of. ME2 was, after all, under initial development as ME1 was shipping, but that is not generally considered a problem by many. And of course, just because the game has been announced now doesn't mean it'll ship in 2010. I would expect a 2011 release myself in fact - but we shall see!

Announcing early != rushed :)

Return to “Xbox Live”