Important: Guild Server location

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

Deciding on the server location for our TOR guild

Poll ended at Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:18 pm

I will only play on a European server
No votes
I would rather play on a European server but will play on a US one (either east or west coast) if that's where the group goes
62%
I will only play on a US server (either east or west coast)
No votes
I would rather play on a US server but will play on a European one if that's where the group goes.
38%

Total votes: 13

Important: Guild Server location

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:18 pm

M.Steiner
When I originally went ahead and created the Sith guild for us a good chunk of us including myself reside in Europe/UK so it made sense to pick europe as our server location. Lucky for us BioWare aren't segregating the servers so for once we all have the opportunity to play together. The important thing to remember.

Since it was created we've gained a lot more US members so it is only fair that everyone is given the opportunity to vote on whether we stay on a EU server or we go about changing it to either US East or US West. The option to change this is still available until the importation in phase3.

Whilst a server location doesn't stop anybody from actually playing on that server there are of course a few things to consider. Server events are one thing, these will most likely be arranged at times more suitable for players of that particular region and may be something some of us are concerned about. Your assumed activity level, play times and involvement in the guild are just a few others to think about. Also whilst it would be a shame to see happen we can't discount the possibility of one of us leaving the guild if we do change it from a EU server or the possibility that some of you may only be prepared to play on a US east or west server too. The poll should hopefully cover all of these options just to be safe.

If people choose to change the guild server from EU to US we'll open up another poll/discussion later to pick whether it is US East or US West. ~ Please only vote if you intend on playing the game with us as it is those of us who will be playing that it will affect and nobody else. :)
Will let the poll run for 2 weeks since there's no rush and we can extend it if needs be re-voting has been enabled should you want to change your vote. Feel free to expand on whatever option you voted for in a post below!

[Edit - Unstickying now that the poll has ended. Thanks for voting guys]
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Important: Guild Server location

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:44 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
At the end of the day I don't really mind where the server is. Whilst I'd prefer an EU one, because I live in the UK, I wouldn't be fussed at all if the majority want to go for a US one.

The important thing for me is that we all play together and don't split up. It was great having both Americans and Europeans playing together in NC2 and FFXI, and I always felt it was a really shame that WoW wouldn't allow that. It's great that BioWare have rectified that, and I'm happy to put up with a bit of latency if necessary (and indeed, it's not certain it'd be anything serious yet) in order to take advantage of that.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:08 pm

M.Steiner
Personally I would rather we left the guild as a EU one being from the UK and whilst I won't be playing insane hours like I used to play in WoW I expect I'll be heavily active. If I'm (likely) going to be playing more than most other members I'd prefer that it was this side of the world. That being said I'm not opposed to changing to a US server if that's what people want and I will still play with the group should that be the case.

Speaking of NC. The servers were in germany and we did have a good mix of people from UK, Germany, US. However. When we had big events like OP fights they were almost always on our (EU) times so unless the US members played during our playtimes, like Futile, Biggie and some other americans often did, they didn't get to participate unless another clan attacked our OP during the night when it was their peak time or they went out and did likewise.
In NC I often logged in during or late at night so I could play with Futile & Biggie & go caving or whatever and chances are I'll be doing the same in TOR to a degree. But whatever the case we'll need to make sure we have a good mix of mods from both sides whatever server we end up on so if it's the mods who later start arranging group activites both sides get included.

For me I think the important thing to remember is that we don't get this chance very often and we haven't had a new group with this amount of interest either. I am just happy and grateful that BioWare have given us the option to all play together no matter where we're from. For a group like ours that's really great and imo an opportunity not to be missed. "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" and all. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:47 pm

Ash
Also a note regarding latency, Stephen Reid mentioned that the game was pretty latency friendly,
what he actually meant by that I'm not sure until I can actually compare EU with East Coast US,
but I'm hoping it means that it shouldn't be a huge issue.

Server events are the only real issue I believe server location may affect, as there is no true night/ day cycle ingame.

I am also glad that Bioware is not region locking the game, I got around it in WoW and Lotro by having two copies of the game,
one Euro and one North American, but I am glad I don't have to do it again.
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:06 pm

SSX-Andy
I would prefer EU, mostly since the server events will fit me better that way. Latency will probably be better, but US East Coast might not be so bad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:59 pm

Whizbang
Would it be possible to find out all the members who will be playing TOR who aren't in the EU? I think this may be easier than finding out which of us aren't in Europe.

I also get the sneaking suspicion that there will only be a few US players compared to the EU players, which means that this may not work out as well as was hoping, especially for those of us who are way the hell over on the West Coast. :(
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:09 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
There looks to be a fairly equal split from what I can tell within the 20 members signed up to the guild. I just think the US section hasn't voted yet for the most part. I may be wrong in that, but I certainly didn't think this would be a foregone conclusion when it went up. Hopefully it won't prove to be so. Maybe MS could modify the memberlist to indicate what region we believe everyone to be from?

That said, I think that whatever the result here is there'll be people not entirely pleased. It's a difficult decision to make if we all want to play together, to try and be fair on everyone (or as many as possible) whilst bearing the feelings of everyone in mind. I do still have hope that Ash's quote proves too and the game is more latency friendly than perhaps some are fearing, but we'll just have to see on that one.

What I am glad to see though is no-one thus far saying "I'll only play here". We'd obviously have to discuss what we'd do if that happened, but it's reassuring to know that people will tend to put the group first even with the choice presented to them.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:39 pm

Ash
Just for Anny
Taken from the SWTOR Forum post regarding server location.
You have to love the Dev Tracker.. :thumb:
I'm not a technical person and I'm not in charge of said servers, but from what I understand, the required upgrades and improvements in Ireland have been in motion for quite a while. Obviously, we've known the game is coming for a long time and those discussions and work have been ongoing. We're not digging up roads or laying fibre at this point. (And I'm sure, indeed, that Ireland as a whole has been working on this process for even longer than we've been in the picture.)

Something else I'd also like to point out - generally speaking The Old Republic is fairly latency-tolerant. We've run the game in market research testing and at quite a few European shows and haven't seen a lot of issues with latency. Now, that doesn't mean it's perfect - hence EU servers and EU testing, to ensure we feel comfortable - but my point is even across the Atlantic, the game is still very playable.

Server location is obviously a key decision. We examined every option carefully, and feel confident we made the right choice.
Obviously we have no idea what will happen at launch and what he means by very playable.

:clown:
Ash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:56 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't doubting you, just hoping that what Reid has said is more than just PR :)

We'll see come launch, but hopefully he's right and things won't be so bad. I am a little skeptical until it's shown to be true though, admittedly.

EDIT: Maybe the beta will be able to shed some more light on this. Provided we'll be able to test on cross Atlantic servers of course!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:31 pm

M.Steiner
One thing I'm worried about if the poll results in a US server being picked is that it's not as simple as EU or US. Then we would have to vote on whether it's east or west of the US which would further split the votes as I doubt everyone who votes US is voting for the same coast.

Another is that individual activity is a big factor to consider when voting in my opinion. Whilst we're all equal here and it doesn't matter how many hours a day/week each of us are able to spend gaming. Real life always comes first but speaking hypothetically here say the results favoured us leaving our guild on a EU server but then when we get ingame it turns out that most of the EU players don't play half as often as our American members do yet the vote resulted in the US peeps having to play on a EU server and probably miss out on the events whilst they're at it. That wouldn't be good or fair imo. Speaking as someone who will be heavily active in the game and will be playing many hours a day I would be upset if I was in that position. If the peeps on the other side of the pond were just as active or more so then that's another thing, I'd be fine with that and the vote will have been fair and justified. Just being honest here :)

So yeah.. All I'd ask is that everyone considers outcomes like that when you vote. How often do you think you're likely to be playing? and how much of an impact would our server location have on yourself compared to someone who may play far less or far more than yourself?. May sound a bit selfish thinking like that but if something like that did happen as an outcome of the results it could, perhaps, cause resentment and I wouldn't wanna see that. Not speaking personally with that but I can't deny that I'd be annoyed if it was me. Something to think about I think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:36 am

Whizbang
I'm not concerned about latency and server location as much as times set for running OPs and getting together with each other to play. Being West Coast puts me at a rather steep disadvantage as I'm 3 hours behind the East coast and 8 hours behind UK time, which means that when I get home from the office in the evening it's 8pm EC time and 1am UK time. So you can see a bit of my dilemma in this and my concern. That really only leaves weekends when I can feasibly play at somewhat normal hours with the rest of you.

This is my biggest concern.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:23 am

Ash
I appreciate your concerns, as I remember trying to schedule Squad War matches back in the day to include a member in Korea.
Ash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Zephir
Mechanus wrote:I'm not concerned about latency and server location as much as times set for running OPs and getting together with each other to play. Being West Coast puts me at a rather steep disadvantage as I'm 3 hours behind the East coast and 8 hours behind UK time, which means that when I get home from the office in the evening it's 8pm EC time and 1am UK time. So you can see a bit of my dilemma in this and my concern. That really only leaves weekends when I can feasibly play at somewhat normal hours with the rest of you.

Even thought I hate to admit Anny is right about anything, I know several of the people that are currently listed in the SWTOR guild are in the US and I even played SWG with some of them :eek:

Personally I'm in VA and I'll be around most weeknights between 8pm and Midnight EST, and sure I'd prefer an east coast server but really so long as we can all get together to do Flashpoints, Operations and Warzones I don't really care where the server is.

Zeph
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:53 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Mechanus wrote:I'm not concerned about latency and server location as much as times set for running OPs and getting together with each other to play. Being West Coast puts me at a rather steep disadvantage as I'm 3 hours behind the East coast and 8 hours behind UK time, which means that when I get home from the office in the evening it's 8pm EC time and 1am UK time. So you can see a bit of my dilemma in this and my concern. That really only leaves weekends when I can feasibly play at somewhat normal hours with the rest of you.

To be fair, whilst this is certainly a problem I don't necessarily think it's one that we could solve whatever server location we picked. Even if we picked a US West server, it wouldn't solve that issue. Those of us in the EU would still be playing whilst you were at work, weekends aside, and it's only realistically the server time that would be any different.

That said, whatever location we ultimately end up picking I will be trying to make an effort to play at a variety of times in order to play with as many of us as possible. I certainly can't do the old "gaming at 3am" thing that I sometimes did back in the days of NC2/WoW now that I'm working, though I probably will be able to make time to do that at the weekends (and definately will be doing during holidays) so that we can play 'long days'. And any grouping up that I do will be scheduled as late evening as I can possibly make it, in order to make it as accessible as possible for the same reason. It's not ideal, certainly, but I think it's better than us not playing together at all.

That is all I think we can do though, unless anyone else has other comments/ideas? It's just a problem we'll run into whatever server region we pick - shame though that may be.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:41 pm

M.Steiner
I should think I'll still be online at 1am most days of the week, Mech. I won't be able to stay on until the sun comes up like I did in WoW but I'll be making a conscious effort to play late into the night as much as I can. I won't put words in his mouth but chances are Ava will be on late quite often too as you'll know from the BFBC2 games you've had together.
We don't get the opportunity to play together like this very often so I know I'll be trying to make the most of that. :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Chimera
They cook bacon weird in Europe; there is no crunch to it and its droops like a jumper in the door.

That said, I'll play wherever :)
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:34 pm

M.Steiner
We appear to have 10 votes which is half of the Sith guilds memberlist. However that's 2 more votes than the 8 of us who are currently confirmed to be playing from launch day. Just saying that as I know in the past people have shown interest in a game but come release haven't followed through and subscribed for whatever reason. So just as a friendly reminder please double check that your name is marked as confirmed on our roster thread when you come to vote. :)
Whilst it would be marvelous if we all did I don't want to just assume all 20 of us will subscribe from day one cos that may not happen. If we just focus on confirmed members we'll have a better idea of what to expect and how to plan ^^

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Hmmm, have to say I think we should open this up to all on the roster rather than just the confirmed ones. I think those who are planning to play at any stage need to have their views considered too - whilst I take your point, just because someone doesn't want to pre-order does not mean that they shouldn't get a say. Imo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:03 pm

M.Steiner
Seems I didn't word that post so well heh..
M.Steiner wrote:Please only vote if you intend on playing the game with us as it is those of us who will be playing that it will affect and nobody else.
Is still what I meant. Apologies if my above post came across any different.

Will try to clarify..
Having the intention of playing with us is fine. I didn't mean it to sound like I thought only people who have pre-ordered should vote, that's not what I meant but must have been understood as such. I was just advising those that have or can say for definite that they'll be playing with us to double check that their name was marked as such on the roster so our numbers tally more accurately and are up to date.
That being said if there's anyone who joined who is now unsure about whether they are going to be playing any more but thought of voting anyway this is something different. There could be people on the roster who originally joined but have since lost interest or have doubts about playing. He's not part of the sith guild but take BD for example. He intended on playing some months ago, even set the Republic guild up as GM but no longer has any interest or intention of playing the game what so ever. There may be people who joined the sith guild who have since lost interest or no longer sure whether they will be playing with us too. It's these people (and this is just my opinion) that I think should hold off on the voting. Planning on playing whether you've pre-ordered or not is different and those of us who do still feel that way should rightly have every say in the matter. Since it is only those of us who will be playing (at whatever stage) that this decision will affect and nobdy else as I say. If however someone is unsure about whether they will or not then they, perhaps, shouldn't help decide where those of us who are sure end up playing. Because if they don't... they've essentially been a deciding factor in choosing where our guild ends up even if they later aren't even a member of the TOR group and thus doesn't even affect them. Just my opinion but I'd say that's fair. Take from that what you will. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:32 am

M.Steiner
Just a reminder that the poll will have been up for 2 weeks and is due to end on Saturday peeps. Have been keeping an eye on the thread and It does look like those of us who intend on playing have already voted now but if you'll be playing too and haven't done so then please do. I do believe we've had sufficient time to vote compared to other polls we've had for more important issues but if lots more start coming in and it looks like we need longer I'll extend it slightly. Wouldn't expect many more though if any. :thumb:

Either way I'm happy to see that all of us are pretty reasonable here. Whilst it could be understandable I'm glad to see that it looks like we'll all be playing together regardless of sever location. Can't wait to get stuck in and playing with you all :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:41 pm

SSX-Rain
A drawback with European servers might be the following: French, German, Italian and last but defenately not least Russian (and the other eastern european languages...) US Eastcoast would probably be over 99.9 english.
//
Rain

EvE Online - Kitana Rainstorm

WoW EU @ Bladefist - RETIRED
70 Rainstorm Night Elf Huntress
70 Evenstar Night Elf Priestess Tailoring/Enchanting 300/300
70 Bladesong Night Elf Warrior
70 Rainfall Night Elf Rogue
70 Stormseeker Night Elf Druid
70 Rainforce Dranei Shaman
70 Katalina Human Paladin
70 Katala Human Mage