Simultaneous EU + US Launch

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

Simultaneous EU + US Launch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:21 pm

Zephir
Bioware have announced a new combined launch date for swtor

Zeph.
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

Re: Simultaneous EU + US Launch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:35 pm

M.Steiner
Great news :D
Now when will our early access begin? ^^

New trailer too!
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:44 pm

Ash
Nice to see they are still prepared to tweek things,
even after giving official announcements.

Probably not an issue when you contradict yourself by moving the date closer.... :p

Well here is to early access :thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Oooo, very nice move :) Doesn't affect those of us who've pre-ordered of course, but nice to know they're thinking of their global fans rather than just their US ones.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:17 am

Ash
The initial reason they gave for the split launch was down to the days shops stocked during the week,
North America usually Tuesday and Europe (UK) on Thursday.

Which to me considering that pre orders get early access (so servers are up)
and that alot of people (especially people outside the initial launch areas) will be buying digitally via Origin,
this didn't really make sense.

But I am now glad that release is on the same day and would expect head start to open up the preceding friday.
I am actually hoping for a full week but think realistically 4/5 days.

:thumb:
Ash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:59 pm

Ash
I had to make a decision today on when to take a spare day of annual leave...
funnily enough i went with December 19th .... I might actually get to play before launch.... woohoo

Ash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:27 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Ash wrote:I had to make a decision today on when to take a spare day of annual leave...
funnily enough i went with December 19th .... I might actually get to play before launch.... woohoo

Excellent :D

Made sure that I'll be free in the week preceding launch too, so that I'll have time after work to make it ingame. Hopefully there will be a fair few of us around prior to launch as well as after!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:56 pm

Zephir
I'm around most evenings ;)

Of course everything will be wiped :(
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Zephir wrote:I'm around most evenings ;)

Of course everything will be wiped :(
During Early Access? :weird:

I'd doubt that. If you meant beta, probably yes. I'm avoiding beta for that very reason though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:11 pm

M.Steiner
Nah he'll mean closed beta which is a certainty. Early access will roll straight into launch, no wipes.
Anubis wrote:Hopefully there will be a fair few of us around prior to launch as well as after!
Try and stop me!
I'll be playing as soon as as I'm able to lol :)

Few quick questions btw to anyone that may know the answer.
1. With the game releasing on Dec 20th and us getting early access some days before then, does anyone know if those of us who have bought physical boxed copies will have to download the client for this or are retailers supposed to ship our games out well before the 20th?. Thinking of last postage for christmas too.
2. I was invited as a tester around this time last year but it wasn't as part of the ongoing closed beta group. I still have the client installed from then but it will be incredibly outdated by now. I know with some betas when a new client comes out you need to replace your existing one, though sometimes you're able to keep patching them. - If we're going to need to download the client for early access is it possible that I'll be able to patch this old client up when the time comes or will I need to replace it?. I'm guessing the latter but I kept it installed just incase. If that's the case I know I can safely uninstall it then :)
3. I've heard the figure of 25gig a few times, is this the download size or when the game has done installing?. My folder from last year is half that :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:23 pm

Whizbang
M.Steiner wrote:Nah he'll mean closed beta which is a certainty. Early access will roll straight into launch, no wipes.
Anubis wrote:Hopefully there will be a fair few of us around prior to launch as well as after!
Try and stop me!
I'll be playing as soon as as I'm able to lol :)

Two quick questions btw to anyone that may know the answer.
1. With the game releasing on Dec 20th and us getting early access some days before then, does anyone know if those of us who have bought physical boxed copies will have to download the client for this or are retailers supposed to ship our games out well before the 20th?. Thinking of last postage for christmas too.
2. I was invited as a tester around this time last year but it wasn't as part of the ongoing closed beta group. I still have the client installed from then but it will be incredibly outdated by now. I know with some betas when a new client comes out you need to replace your existing one, though sometimes you're able to keep patching them. - If we're going to need to download the client for early access is it possible that I'll be able to patch this old client up when the time comes or will I need to replace it?. I'm guessing the latter but I kept it installed just incase. If that's the case I know I can safely uninstall it then :)
3. I've heard the figure of 25gig a few times, is this the download size or when the game has done installing?. My folder from last year is half that :lol:
I'd think that there will be a download client that you can install for the early access as many physical orders won't be shipping until the day of release. I've seen this done with other MMOs before where you'll play off the build released for Head Start people and your key will be good for a few days after release to cover any shipping time.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:04 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Yep, Mech is right. I've read somewhere that the boxes will ship for the live date, but they'll provide a client download for Early Access. To also answer your third question, I've been taking it to mean 25GB installed (mainly due to the massive amounts of Voiceovers I am guessing (specifically the fact that I'm guessing they have different voiceovers for different languages - especially in Europe). I don't have confirmation of that, but if it's 25GB packed it would have to be maybe 35+ unpacked, which I doubt they would get away with tbh.

Finally, with regards to the client I would just uninstall mate. I cannot see it being the same one. Back when the original EU beta weekend was cancelled I am sure I read that one of the reasons was "we just finished a new build, so we didn't want them to have to download the client once then again in a few days". That suggests to me that they've replaced the client at least once, and possibly even more than that. With that in mind, I can't see that a really old beta client will be of any use to you honestly :( Zeph might be able to confirm though if it doesn't break the NDA :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Zephir
Yes I meant closed beta hence the ;)

I can't wait for launch I'm getting tired of playing republic characters and generally being a nice guy :rolleyes:, but I decided seeing as the guild direction was going to be Sith I would save those classes for launch.

I'm also really tired of the NDA :smack:

You will definitly need to fully uninstall any existing client and launcher, then download the new installer.

The installer just installs the game launcher and when you start the launcher and log in it downloads/updates the client. The initial download when the launcher is first run is 25Gb to 30Gb and by default it downloads the english version. In the launcher options you can change the language to French or German and the launcher will then download the selected language pack.

Of course this only applies to the download version, and may change at launch, or be changed in specific launch territories.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:12 pm

M.Steiner
Cheers guys :thumb:

One last question ^^. - If I downloaded the installer for early access and then ran the launcher to download the 25-30gb. Once that has done downloading do you think I'd be able to just copy my TOR directory from program files over to my external HDD so I could put that on Ava's computer too?. Or do files go elsewhere too?. Would save having to download the game twice on the same connection, the early access will have probably finished by the time we did that lol. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Whizbang
M.Steiner wrote:Cheers guys :thumb:

One last question ^^. - If I downloaded the installer for early access and then ran the launcher to download the 25-30gb. Once that has done downloading do you think I'd be able to just copy my TOR directory from program files over to my external HDD so I could put that on Ava's computer too?. Or do files go elsewhere too?. Would save having to download the game twice on the same connection, the early access will have probably finished by the time we did that lol. :)
I think you could copy the files over to another machine to prevent having to download 25gb twice. I know some people who have done that so they could have a game on a few different machines and didn't want to either clog their bandwidth with 2+ connections going at once or having to spend an entire day downloading the game on separate machines.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Isileth
Bloody hell. I wasnt sure I would be able to try it out due to graphics and CPU requirements. I know I cant try it out if its 25GB!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:44 pm

M.Steiner
Isileth wrote:I know I cant try it out if its 25GB!
Guessing you have a monthly download limit or something, Isi?. Ava and I used to have fibre-optic cable with Virgin a few years ago too but it was the XL package which was unlimited. Can't get there here so been using ADSL down the crappy telephone line since, no DL limits thankfully.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Isileth
haha no I have the XL package as well, wouldn't take long to download. I just have a hard drive from yesteryear, any time I have more than 5GB of free space leaves me pleasantly surprised.

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”