Crafting

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

Crafting

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:50 pm

Ash
I plan (hopefully) to have a look into the different crafting available during this weekend,
to give me an idea on which way to go with my BH.

Obvious choices are Armourtech or Armstech,
but I was considering going with Cybertech for building mods.
I know they have had a slight change around recently.

Any of the Beta players got any impressions on the pros/cons of crafting?

Cheers

;)
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

Re: Crafting

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:04 am

M.Steiner
This is something I didn't get to see when I tested but wouldn't mind hearing peoples thoughts if any of you get to try it out this weekend. :)
I wasn't so big on WoW's crafting but back in my NC days I was quite fond of tradeskilling in my spare time. Either for building batches of stuff up for the clan apartment, making money or hanging around in front of medicare doing jobs for people. Would like to again if it's done well.

I did like the sound of this; http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1210187p1.html
Especially the randomness and how every item that's crafted isn't necessarily going to be exactly the same.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:23 am

Ash
NC was great implanting for tips....:P

And I agree the reverse engineering function (on paper) seems like a nice addition.

*off to read article*

:clown:
Ash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:32 am

Anubis
Site Admin
From what I understand Crafting is mostly handled via your companions - or at least, that's as far as I've read into the system. With that in mind, assuming it's true, I'm not sure you'll get much of a chance to experiment with the system this weekend. Unless you rush through all of the starter content up until you get your ship and first companion, you might not even get access to the system.

I hope I'm wrong and that's not the case, since I'd like to get impressions on crafting - beyond the things Zeph has mentioned which suggest it's similar to KOTOR in many ways. Just have to keep fingers crossed for you :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:58 am

Ash
Technically I don't think you need the ship, you get the first companion on the starter planet and tehre are crafting stations at the hubs,
so I hope that I'll atleast have a chance to mess with crew skills.
Its more of seeing what each crafting skill makes and judging how useful it will be.

:thumb:
Ash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:54 pm

Whizbang
You'll be able to start crafting once you leave your starter planet, which will only take about 10-12 hours of game time unless they've change how the starting areas work. In the previous beta, I had gotten my Smuggler to lvl 10, picked it's advanced class, and had gone up to the Republic Fleet in space. There you learn about each form of crafting and each 'harvesting' form and you get to choose what you think is best for your character. There are some pretty obvious choices when you are going through the various types and you can see that some crafting isn't suited for your character, i.e. crafting that builds weapons/armor for Force users if you're a Smuggler/Trooper.

Once you've chosen your crafting profession and your two harvesting professions you can then begin sending your companion out to do your bidding. Each harvesting type has 4 missions your companion can run and each last for X amount of minutes. I think the longest was 5mins. Also, each mission costs you money. Some were more expensive than others. Once you have enough of an item you can then send your companion out to craft, which I believe takes 10 mins but I could be mistaken. Don't recall that off the top of my head. One you have your new item you can choose to equip/modify your stuff or you can break it down and regain some of the parts and possibly learn a new schematic for the part that improves it.

A short run-through there to give you a very basic idea. That and I think that was about all I was able to do in my short time in the beta.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:39 am

Ash
Must say what I did like was the modification system,
at this moment in time you could remove mods from items without destroying them, just cost you money.

Which meant I was able to upgrade my Republic Carbine using Level 15 parts from my Level 16 min requirement Rifle.

I now know what the Devs were talking about when they said you could keep an item through the game just by
swapping the modifications out.

My question would be though, does the item (rifle in this case) have an intrinsic level
which determines base damage level or is it solely down to the Barrel mod,
which when attached did change the level requirements of the Weapon?

I think this may add a lot of flexibility in look, as my Vanguard Trooper was heading more DPS than Tank
and therefore would prefer a more Spec Forces (alla Hoth) look (see Esseles Chest Piece) than Clone Trooper.
Will just add to the look and feel of the character.

Ash

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:34 am

Ash
Rather than make a new thead I'll just continue here,
Crafting Professions:
From what I have seen so far here is my run down.

Armourtech - Heavy Armour
Armstech - Weapons
BioEngineering - Medpacs/stims
Synthweaving - light/medium armour
Artificer - Crystals
Cybertech - Droid armour and implants

Now I'm aware that things are influx with certain items being switched around,
but can someone please tell me (from the latest build) where are item modifications crafted?

Also please do not hesitate to correct my list above,
I'm just trying to work out what crafting skill to take, whether to go traditional with the Bounty Hunter
ie Armourtech or Armstech, or potentially something slighy different ie build implant/ modifications.

As we are now within fourteen days of the beginning of Early Access!!!!!!

:eek:
Ash

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:43 pm

M.Steiner
I spent very little time getting to know the crafting system last weekend so thanks for that run down Ash. Has just given me the poke I needed to do some reading up as I had no clue what I'd be taking on come early access.
Just been going through the crew skill pages on Torhead and started to jot down some info. Hopefully this will be helpful to the rest of you too. - I'll split them into the 3 "types";

There are 3 types of crew skills. Gathering, missions & the crafting skills themselves. You can train 3 skills in total which could be 2x Gathering, 1x Crafting. Or perhaps 1x Gathering, 1x Crafting, 1x Mission. Whatever combination like that but you are limited to 1 crafting skill. ~ If I've made any mistakes here or below feel free to correct :)

* Crafting *

Armourmech - Non-Force armours (Imperial Agent/Smuggler & Bounty Hunter/Trooper)
  • Recommended Gathering Skills: Scavenging (Scavenged Metals and Compounds)
  • Recommended Mission Skills: Underworld Trading (Underworld Metals)
Armstech - Weapons & modifications for non-force users
  • Recommended Gathering Skills: Scavenging (Scavenged Metals and Compounds)
  • Recommended Mission Skills: Investigation (Researched Compounds)
Artifice - Lightsaber modifications for force users.
  • Recommended Gathering Skills: Archaeology (Power Crystals, Color Crystals and Artifact Fragments)
  • Recommended Mission Skills: Treasure Hunting (Gemstones)
Biochem - Medpacs, stimulants & implants
  • Recommended Gathering Skills: Bioanalysis (Biochemical Samples and Compounds)
  • Recommended Mission Skills: Diplomacy (Medical Supplies)
Cybertech - Droid armour, implants, gadgets, vehicles, ship parts, armourings & mods
  • Recommended Gathering Skill: Scavenging (Scavenged Metals and Compounds)
  • Recommended Mission Skills: Underworld Trading (Underworld Metals)
Synthweaving - Armour for force users.
  • Recommended Gathering Skills: Archaeology
  • Recommended Mission Skills: Underworld Trading (Luxury Fabrics and Underworld Metals)
* Gathering *

Archaeology - Crystals & materials for lightsaber modifications & force armour.
  • Recommended Crafting Skills: Artifice, Synthweaving
Bioanalysis - Materials for Medpacs, stimulants & implants
  • Recommended Crafting Skills: Biochem
Scavenging - Salvaging metals, alloys & synthetic compounds which the below crafting skills can utilize.
  • Recommended Crafting Skills: Armourmech, Armstech, Cybertech
Slicing - Lockboxes with credits, rare cybertech schematics for gadgets, vehicles & space upgrades.
  • Recommended Crafting Skills: All (for mission discoveries), Cybertech (for tech schematics)
* Missions *

Diplomacy - Missions for light/dark side points & medical supplies for constructing medpacs, stims etc.
  • Recommended Crafting Skills: Biochem
Investigation - Compounds used for constructing prototype & artifact weapons, blaster barrels & schematics for all crafts + companion gifts.
  • Recommended Crafting Skills: All (for schematics), Armstech
Treasure Hunting - Gemstones used to construct prototype & artifact enhancements, hilts, color scrystals, focii & generators + lockboxes that can contain companion gifts, credits & other items.
  • Recommended Crafting Skills: Artifice
Underworld Trading - Luxury Fabrics & metals used to construct prototype/artifact armour, earpieces, grenades, space upgrades, weapon & armour mods + companion gifts.
  • Recommended Crafting Skills: Armourmech, Cybertech, and Synthweaving
Recommended skills in diagram form - Credit to the SithWarrior forums.

As an Agent going by this I'll be going with either Armourmech or Armstech for a crafting profession, scavenging and then either Investigation or Underworld Trading missions. Not sure whether I'd prefer to have my crew constructing armour or weapons just yet but at least I have a good idea of what I'll be doing now hehe.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Whizbang
Don't forget that Cybertech also make mods for all those weapons and armors that the others are building. ;)

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:23 pm

M.Steiner
Ta :)
Have edited that in and made a few other adjustments too. :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Ash
I was actually just about to mention the general mods falling under Cybertech,
whilst Artifcer deals with crystals and Armstech deals with barrels.

Looking at that list Cybertech becomes pretty attractive (especially as the gathering/ mission skills are the same as armourmech)
with Biochem as distinct alternatives to the obvious armour/arms and articifer routes.

Does anyone think we should try to cover our bases on crafting from day one,
or hit cap then consider.

Ash

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:29 pm

Whizbang
When I played my Smuggler I went Cybertech as it seemed to fit the whole playstyle of a Smuggler and that it was all about the mods. I never made it far enough to get past the initial schematics for Cybertech so I'm not sure what lies beyond those first 10. And if we have as many members as we do signed up I don't think having all the bases covered is going to be an issue.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Whizbang
Spent time this weekend on my Smuggler/Gunslinger and worked more with crafting. The deeper I went with the character and the more gear I got that could be modded, the more I realized just how important the Cybertech profession will be. Cybertech makes the Armor and Mod portions for modding non-Force gear and reverse engineering unlocks the more rare stuff. Additionally, you can make enhancements for your ships, although I never progressed far enough to get to that point. I can also make droid mods but not being a droid companion class, I never looked to far into that tree. I will say that it was nice every time I gained enough levels to make new mods that I was doing so to enhance my modded gear to ensure it was the best available.

Additionally, I sent my companion off on an Underworld Trading mission to get some of the more rare pieces for a CT schematic and he came back with the item and a new schematic for an item I had yet to reach. Was surprised at this and quite excited that there is a chance to discover something like this through those missions.

Must say I do enjoy crafting and it is quite useful when moving about in areas where there is little-to-no combat required. I can send my companion off and let him do what he needs to while I handle mission turn-ins, move to new locations, deal with selling inventory, moving things around in the bank, etc.

Oh, and one more thing. You do not have to have the crafting materials on your person to craft. It can all reside in the bank and it will pull from there when you send your companion off to craft, thus reducing the need to carry around tons of crafting material for when you feel like crafting. :thumb:

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:04 am

Ash
Cheers Mech,

Release is almost upon us, i feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas Day.
Ash

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:12 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Ash wrote:Cheers Mech,

Release is almost upon us, i feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas Day.
This.

Thanks for the write up Mech. I am glad to hear that the crafting system is enjoyable - something that most MMOs lack I have found. Also that it's useful - always a plus :lol:
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:17 pm

M.Steiner
<- Starting to consider Cybertech or Biochem for my Agent now instead heh.

Also; http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=717041
Very informative post there which some of you may be interested in. Just had a good read of it myself.

Must say I am loving the sound of TOR's crafting system the more I read. So many possibilities.
I think this will be the first MMO in 6 or whatever years that I've given a crap about crafting and actually wanted to invest time in such things :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Ash
MS,

When does the Agent get their healer? fairly early or later on?
As this may swing you towards Biochem for the advanced heals.

But I agree Cybertech seems an extremely attractive proposition,
but if a number of you go that way I may go Armour or Arms to round the group out initially,
we shall see what takes my fancy at level 10.

*cough* 9 days *cough*
Ash

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:28 am

M.Steiner
Companion healer?. We apparently get someone called Doctor Eckard Lokin on the Taris planet but I'm not sure how far along that is. Could be a while. - I didn't google to try and find out so as not to spoil any surprises :)

Was mainly looking at the implants you can craft from it like this, I mean even as a operative medic the stat increases from the stims like this could be very useful too. Plus, like the one linked, some of those are not a one-time-use but reusable and on a cd timer. Also 3 out of 5 Agent companions give efficiency bonuses to either Bioanalysis, biochem or diplomacy and if I went with Biochem I'd get the other 2 as well so I'd see a benefit there too. [<- Not sure if this last bit is true. I've read that the crew bonuses have been removed just recently but I've also read they were still in the last build so who knows lol]

On the other hand cybertech has mods which should get a ton of use, some of which are BoP so you're not going to be able to get them unless you've crafted them yourself and the grenades/bombs would be nice for pvp/cc and used throughout the game most likely. Oh and they appear to be able to make a transport beacon.
hmmm!

Quite refreshing to be stuck for choice hehe.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:13 am

Ash
Going off topic briefly..

Apparently all the classes get a companion that fills the standard roles
tank, dps, healer and variations on the theme.

You are supposed to get the most useful one (for your class) first
so for instance Mako for the Bounty Hunter has two stances, effectively a healing and dps stance.

So if you are a squishy you tend to get a tank.

Back on topic.

The reusuable 'epic' biochem equipment look good as do grenades from Cybertech.

Ash

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:22 pm

SSX-Ava
Ive gone synthweaving, so if any force users need any gear, i'll make some for you :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Whizbang
SSX-Ava wrote:Ive gone synthweaving, so if any force users need any gear, i'll make some for you :)
Except Anubis. He really doesn't need any armor what with him being all awesome with his Force Lightning. ;)

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:32 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Mechanus wrote:
SSX-Ava wrote:Ive gone synthweaving, so if any force users need any gear, i'll make some for you :)
Except Anubis. He really doesn't need any armor what with him being all awesome with his Force Lightning. ;)
Damn straight. My Force Lightning shields my form from harm and roasts you disloyal dogs in the process!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:34 pm

SSX-Andy
Have a hard time deciding.

Leaning towards Biochem. Bring ze drugs.

*edit*
Went with Biochem. At least for the time being.

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”