Early Access & Launch <- Server details here too!

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

Re: Early Access & Launch <- Server details here too!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:21 pm

M.Steiner
Tonight at 12:01AM EST we are officially launching Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

This is a huge moment for everyone - both the fans and those who created the game. Thanks for being part of the experience so far, and we look forward to running the best game service we can for years to come.

Tonight, we are bringing the servers down for maintenance as we prepare for launch, as previously mentioned. Both the game servers and SWTOR.com will be offline from 6PM CST (4PM PST/7PM EST/12AM GMT/1AM CET) to 11PM CST (9PM PST/12AM EST/5AM GMT/6AM CET).

As well as bringing the existing game servers back online, from 11PM CST onwards we'll be bringing up a large number of new servers, spread across all three of our server locations (US West Coast, US East Coast and Europe). As always, every server is open and available to anyone playing - just select your preferred location (US / Europe) from the tab at the bottom of the server select screen.

Even with these additional servers we are expecting queues on the most popular servers, and these queues are likely to persist for a while yet. We are monitoring them closely and raising population caps where necessary, however this is a careful process that is ongoing. Our servers do not have unlimited populations and we want every server to have a healthy population during and after launch.

If you are joining the game for the first time during this launch period, or if you are looking for a lower population server to play on, now is the best time to create a character on a new server. We would strongly advise anyone joining the game to not attempt to create a new character on a server that is listed as 'Full', unless you are comfortable with the potential for queues to enter the server.

Finally, don't forget that after tonight's downtime, you are entering a 'grace period' in which you will need to enter your final product registration code (AKA 'game code') from your copy of the game (or your email from Origin), along with your preferred payment method, to activate your 30 days of game time. You can redeem your game code here.

As another reminder, we'll be taking down the game servers and SWTOR.com at the end of that 'grace period' at 2AM CST (12AM PST/3AM EST/8AM GMT/9AM CET), the early hours of December 22nd. When the servers come back up at that time, you will need a product registration code redeemed on your account to continue playing. To ensure you can continue to play, make sure you redeem your code as soon as possible.

We're getting ready for launch - we hope you are too. We look forward to seeing you online!
Lets see how the next week or so goes... :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:56 pm

Whizbang
5:54am local time, so about 13:54 UK time and there are 44 EU servers showing queues. 36 US servers showing queues.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:43 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Mechanus wrote:5:54am local time, so about 13:54 UK time and there are 44 EU servers showing queues. 36 US servers showing queues.
Shocker. Call me in a month when the problem has become slightly less severe and we can review BioWare's complete mismanagement of this launch again.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Zephir
I wouldn't exactly call it mismangement, they can't exactly force people to create characters in specific places, after all the outcry would be just as bad if they locked servers and people couldn't join their friends.

As for the people complaing about long queues and then saying the servers look deserted, that's becasue of instancing od the starter planets which is done so they don't have to deal with overpopulted stater areas causing them problems like waiting for respawns etc.

Really what do you expect them to do when a couple of million people all want to spend 10 hours a day playing the game ?

Queing = complaints
Locking servers = complaints
Opening a large number of servers = complaints down the road about low server populations

There is no way to make everyone happy, personally I think their approach of trying to end up with optimal server populations down the road. Dealing with short term queuing, while frustrating, is the most viable long term option open too them.

Zeph
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:11 am

Ash
The official word on our queues and avoiding Bloodworthy... :clown:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swto ... ver-queues

Transfers will at some time in the future.

Atleast official word that they are actually working on it.
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:03 pm

M.Steiner
I think they just applied one of their pop cap increments or done something else. The queues have already been slowly improving over the last day or two (like several US members got on last night with no queue) but I literally just saw at least 5 queues of 25+ min disappear before my eyes and the status for those change and it let me straight in. There are still some queues on some of the others but ours is not one of them right now. [Edit - There's a queue again now and there will be later too but they obviously did something)
I'm sure they'll increase them again a time or two if this is what they've just done, before they reach the absolute max. It takes longer doing it bit by bit but in the long run it's better that way. Plus if they did that all in one go players wouldn't probably bring the servers down instead heh.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:16 am

Anubis
Site Admin
[23:01] <SSX-Anubis> wow
[23:01] <SSX-Anubis> Bloodworthy flagged Very Heavy
[23:01] <SSX-Anubis> not Full
[23:01] <SSX-Anubis> first time I've ever seen that
[23:02] <SSX-Anubis> shame I'm going to bed in 10-15 mins :/

Just spent 10 minutes or so ingame taking a couple of screenshots, but sadly I have to head to bed now. This is the first time I've seen Bloodworthy as anything but Full period - so despite my cynicism recently (sorry MS!) it looks like whatever they are doing is at the very least beginning to help somewhat.

As I just mentioned to those ingame, I'm not going to be submitting my retail code and subbing until I see that the queues problem has been mostly solved - basically minimal to no queues for a few days running when I would be wanting to play. Hopefully, based on tonight's evidence, that will be sooner rather than later. Hope everyone keeps having fun in my absence in the meantime :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:23 pm

enlightened
My system can't run the game :sweat: Agh would have loved to join everyone right now

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:35 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
As some of you will have noticed I finally subbed last night, placing faith in the hope that the currently lacking queue problems will stay away in future as well as at this moment.

See you all ingame ;)

And enlightened - :( Hopefully you'll be able to join us at some point - would have loved to have you with us.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:07 am

M.Steiner
Sad to hear, enlightened :(
Upgrade out of the question atm?. I don't think we'll be going anywhere anytime soon (touch wood) so you're welcome to come join us whenever that becomes possible for ya :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:29 am

enlightened
Can't do an upgrade at this point but yes hoping to join you guys later :thumb:

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”