So, who's going to pre-order?

Moderators: Global Moderators, SW:BF Moderators

So, who's going to pre-order?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:52 pm

M.Steiner
Assuming you haven't already done so that is!

Star Wars: Battlefront | £38.50
· Use "23PERC-AUTUMN-SAVING" at checkout for the above price. Code expires on Tue at 5pm BST.

I pre-purchased it a while ago myself and have no regerets. Infact I'm more excited for it now than I was before tbh :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: So, who's going to pre-order?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:57 pm

Whizbang
I'm still on the fence about this one. As much as I'd like to I'm looking at what time I have available along with what games I've pre-ordered and how much I can give towards SW:BF.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:22 pm

M.Steiner
Whizbang wrote:I'm still on the fence about this one.
As I was just saying in IRC, I would be too tbh. Drop zone is still enjoyable but if they had only included that one map in the beta (or that was the only map I'd played like you) I would have been questioning my earlier choice of pre-purchasing it and wondering just how much of this game I'd likely end up playing come release. It's fun, but a small map with no vehicles and only 16 players wouldn't have convinced me to pre-purchase this if I hadn't already done so. Hoth on the other hand... Huge map, both ground & air stuff, 40 players, little indoor area with tunnels too, shit going on all around you.. THAT'S the stuff I like (and why I've always preferred Battlefield over CoD) and it was Hoth that really sold this game to me. Walker Assault plays like Rush mode too in that you progress/push your way through the map - just one end of the Hoth map is bigger than the entire drop zone one too.

(Posted this in the other thread for those of you who missed it)
Point being, If you're on the fence but have only played drop zone so far - try and play a match or two of Walker Assault on Hoth before the beta ends. If you're like me, that'll soon change your mind. I doubt I'll play much drop zone at release tbh. The bigger the better as far as I'm concerned ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:17 pm

Whizbang
So I played a bit of the Hoth map. While it is a bit larger and more things moving, it still seems.....small. It also seems that if you are on an Empire side that knows what they are doing they can easily win the map every single time. And that seem IMBA to me as every time you're just a winner or a meatshield for what's going on. I'm also trying to figure out how to make those powerup icons work for me but it seems that it's 50/50 as to whether I can get them to work or not. I'm still undecided on this one but I must admit that I am feeling like saving my $60 for another game(s) than spending it on something that might only occupy a short space in my rotation.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:43 am

NF
Arbiter
I'll agree there are issues (particularly around balancing) that hopefully will get resolved in future updates but I've been thoroughly enjoying it.. which is lucky as I've already pre-ordered..

I heartily agree with MS, although I'm maybe a little more forgiving of Dropzone as that has been a fun 5 minute blast rather than Hoths lengthier time investment...

If I had to summarise it I'd say its currently a solid Battlefield game, no more, but for me the Star Wars theme gets me every time so fairly sure I'll be playing a lot of it.
NF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:43 pm

M.Steiner
Whizbang wrote:So I played a bit of the Hoth map. While it is a bit larger and more things moving, it still seems.....small. It also seems that if you are on an Empire side that knows what they are doing they can easily win the map every single time. And that seem IMBA to me as every time you're just a winner or a meatshield for what's going on. I'm also trying to figure out how to make those powerup icons work for me but it seems that it's 50/50 as to whether I can get them to work or not. I'm still undecided on this one but I must admit that I am feeling like saving my $60 for another game(s) than spending it on something that might only occupy a short space in my rotation.
It's a bit smaller than some of the maps we're used to in Battlefield, yep, but I think they've found a happy medium myself. Whilst I do say "the bigger the better", sometimes the Battlefield maps have been a little too big. Most of em are great but when when they're so big that there's just masses of landscape with no action and you have to walk & walk before you find any - not so great. Hoth feels just nice to me. It's big enough to make it feel like you're on a battlefield with everything that's going on around you, perfectly suited for the amount of players it supports and you're never too far from the action.

As for balancing. Yeah, I do think there are some improvements to be made there but I'm sure they'll be looking at stuff like that. This is still a beta after all, it's not gonna be perfect. That being said, of all the time I've spent with the beta (around 25hrs according to Origin) it honestly doesn't matter which side you're playing on. It can be harder on the Rebel side atm but If you have a good team that's playing well and paying attention to the objectives, either side can easily win. I won lots of games as the Rebels over the 4 days (more so towards the end as I guess people got the hang of it), and lost several as the Imperials too. Still needs a bit of tweaking but like with any MP game, it largely depends on your team.

Powerup icons - Had this happen to me a couple times as well. You pick them up but their slot appears to stay empty. You can still use em though. I also experienced an issue with the personal shield where I'd bought a lot of charges only to walk over one in the game and have them reset to 1, but then when I bought some more it wouldn't let me use them. I can forgive stuff like this though as it's beta as I say. Still 5 weeks away from release.

How much is the game from GMG with the discount code I posted above btw? Still $60? I can only view the prices in GBP so not sure how good that deal may be for you guys in the US. It's gonna be cheaper than whatever it is on Origin though surely? Shame if you don't decide to get this anyway as I'd say this has been one of the smoothest and most enjoyable beta's I've played tbh. The R6 beta was fun (when it worked) but it had a LOT of problems in comparison.
What other game(s) are you thinking about getting instead, Mech? If not Battlefront? :)

Side comment as well - The lack of a server browser was something I was quite worried about before trying it for myself but after playing it? Doesn't bother me at all tbh. You can still form a party with friends and partner up with someone so that's cool, that's the bit I was most concerned over how it would work. This is already a good game to jump in and out of but the time it takes to boot the game up and actually get into a game was surprisingly fast too. I really liked that. This is perfect for us.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:27 pm

M.Steiner
M.Steiner wrote:As for balancing. Yeah, I do think there are some improvements to be made there but I'm sure they'll be looking at stuff like that. This is still a beta after all, it's not gonna be perfect.
tweet.jpg
tweet.jpg (76.21 KiB) Viewed 19252 times
https://twitter.com/DICE_FireWall/statu ... 8827644928
There we go :)

Note to Anny or anyone else who might know - Would it be a lot of work to implement an "embed Tweet" feature on the forums?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I was thinking that the other day actually...there's probably an addon for it somewhere, but I'll need to look when I get time :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Return to “Star Wars: Battlefront”