An Observation

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

An Observation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:57 pm

SSX-Ava
This has been playing on my mind the last couple of days now and I thought it was about time It was brought up. There seem's to be a trend growing of late, to as sensitive as I can put it... ignore people.
An example: Three people are talking on /ssx, one person joins the channel say's hello and is spoken over and not acknowledged. I ask you this, how hard is it to take 5 second's to type a reply? Is your conversation that important you cannot spare the time to greet someone? Who is then left, most likely feeling rather shunned.
Then there are the times when people are talking and another asks a question. Again no acknowledgement is given what so ever. Not even a ''sorry, I don't know''.
Am I asking to much here? If you happen to be actively chatting on irc and someone asks something or even say's hello. Don't ignore them. It is a complete and utter lapse of common decency in my eyes. One which I presume people don't even realise they are doing and at some point all guilty off unfortunately. I do hope this serves as a wake up call to everyone.
I've tried to keep this post as light in tone as possible. It's easy to point and blame but I genuinely think we are all at fault here in one way or another unintentionaly. All I'm asking is that if you happen to be present at your keyboard and actively chatting, take a few seconds to respond to someone the way you'd like to be treat yourself. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:43 pm

Messiah
Good mannners ... sounds like a good idea.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:23 am

BlackDove
Flipside of the coin.

When I'm discussing a matter with someone in length and someone shows up and says "hello", they're actually interrupting my train of thought, and were it real life, I wouldn't want to be interrupted in the middle of a sentence or a train of thought I was having or sharing with someone else were anyone to enter the room (actually to be more precise, whoever interrupted me would be having a hell of a time taking the crowbar out of their ass once I've dispensed a little "etiquette justice", if you know what I mean).

While it is polite to say "hello" to people that greet everyone when they come on (and of course should be encouraged), it's also polite in turn for them to wait with the greetings until any and all scrolling discussions that might be going on at the time, are finished, and would probably get better results at being greeted back in turn.

And as for the question asking, it's usually always been an unwritten rule in every channel I was ever in for everyone to keep their mouth shut if they don't know anything. After all, if you do know something, you're going to go ahead and answer the question. Silence is equal to "I don't know" or "I'm not here". Both of which boil down to the same conclusion, and that is you aren't getting your question answered either way. If twenty people were on at the same time (and this is a low number, considering IRC rooms go up to more than 1000 members in them at a time), and each and everyone of them went ahead and said "I don't know", it would equate to scrolling the main window for nothing and you could probably categorize it as spam. While it may be polite to actually say something, keeping quiet is probably a good rule nurtured in every IRC room.

So good manners - sure.

But also some mature understanding as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:43 am

Stracius
I blame the fact that I haven't been able to use irc since september :(

nobody around to set a (good) example for the rest of you munchkins ;D
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

Re: An Observation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:13 am

Dodotorpedo
SSX-Ava wrote: I ask you this, how hard is it to take 5 second's to type a reply?
Time is money friend!

Return to “Members”