General Reminder: IRC

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

General Reminder: IRC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:18 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I just wanted to post a reminder to all members that we have an IRC Channel for the SSX ;) In the last week or so I've noticed our numbers have begun to dwindle a bit for whatever reason (summer holidays have been suggested to me, which is a distinct possibility, but I thought I would make this post regardless), which is worrying to me as I see IRC as a valuable communications tool between members - helping keep friends and the community as a whole together in times where we perhaps aren't as active as we once used to be.

With the distinct lack of new MMOs whetting our interest, and/or multiplayer games for us to rally around, I am fully aware that we as a group are in a lull at the moment and have been for quite some time now. However, I am also aware that a number of us do have our eyes on future games, MMO or otherwise, around which we hope to build a group or two - Star Wars The Old Republic and Star Trek Online being two such examples. However it is important to ensure that in the run up to the release of these, or other games that any of you may be anticipating or waiting for, we do not allow ourselves to drift apart. Friends are important in life, and this community is nothing if not a place for friends to come together, have fun together and stay in touch.

I've frequented IRC for a little under five years now and I make a point of being around whenever possible. It's a great place for a few of us to come together, chat, exchange opinions, be ganged up on in arguments over many subjects (or is that just me?), and generally have fun. Everyone is welcome, even if you're not playing with an existing group at present, and I would hope that some of you who haven't visited us will drop by sometime to say hello, and those of you who have and have drifted away will come back to catch up with we idlers ;)

We have an IRC Guide to guide you through setting up an IRC client here: http://www.shatteredstar.org/ircguide.php, or alternatively we provide a web based client for anyone to use (without having to fuss around setting up your own client) here: http://www.shatteredstar.org/chat/

I hope to see some more people joining us on IRC in the near future. Let's not allow ourselves to drift into infrequent-forum-communications-only mode when we have such a useful communications tool only a click away :)

- Anubis
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: General Reminder: IRC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:30 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
When I originally posted this, it was followed by a few days of....interrupted service on IRC (i.e. we lost a lot of Server Gerbils that week). Now that that has been resolved, I'd like to make a point of this one more time if I may.

We did see a few more people drop into the channel for a short time before the downtimes started, and it was somewhat disappointing (yet understandable) when after a few days of frustration those extra faces had disappeared again.

We've had 17 of us vote so far in the Arbiter poll, and I know there are a few more of us out there who due to RL committments visit us more infrequently nowadays. It would be great to see those 17, or a majority of those 17, join us in IRC again and contribute. It doesn't take an awful lot to come by and idle in the channel, chipping in every now and again, and it's a nice easy way to interact with some friends over any topic. Of course, you don't HAVE to contribute - but it'd certainly be nice to see more than the same four or five of us chatting every now and again - idling is all well and good, but joining in is better ;)

Please, come and contribute. As I've said above you'd be most welcome, and I do feel it would be a great shame to let such a useful and convenient communications medium go to waste.

If I'm around when you login, there's guaranteed to be at least one friendly face waiting to say hello to regardless of what anyone else is up to at the time :)

- Anubis
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Kon
Speaking of IRC, I seem to be having trouble connecting to any server on any client while on the network here. I'm hoping it's some kind of weird network problem, but it seems likely that they just have it blocked outright. :shake:
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:08 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I would suspect it's blocked by your Uni Firewall, since Uni Firewalls are setup so that only that which they specify can go in or out, and IRC is probably not a commonly requested application. If so, you need to contact the technicians and ask them to open the appropriate port.

They may or they may not do it, but there's no harm in asking. The ones at our Uni are allegedly quite good with most things, but it will likely vary from place to place.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:18 am

SL33PY
can't seem to connect, unable to resolve the host :(

nvm, closing client and restart did the job

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:57 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
This thankful non-emergency is perhaps a good opportunity to point out that this thread is still as relevant now as it was 3 years ago :)

IRC's still here, and we're all still as welcoming as ever. Anyone who wants to come join us would be most welcome!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:39 am

Thunderbird
I've stopped showing up in the IRC channel as I seem to frequently have issues staying connected, which likes to cause my IRC client to crash. The other two IRC servers I hide out in don't have the same connection issues, so something weird is going on.

</2.5 year sticky bump>

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:31 am

M.Steiner
Not sure if it'll make a difference but we have a new channel at #STR (same server) just incase your issues happen to be connected to the old #SSX one. Fingers crossed.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:43 am

Thunderbird
Doubt it was the channel name, but maybe the server's gotten better since I was last there (apparently I've been gone long enough that my NickServ registration dropped :P).

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:29 pm

BlackDove
Interestingly enough, IRC is dead today. For me at least.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Whizbang
BlackDove wrote:Interestingly enough, IRC is dead today. For me at least.
This.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:08 pm

M.Steiner
Chaos, Tbird and myself have been on there but I just disconnected to try and reconnect and can't get back on either.
I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to IRC but how easy would it be to set up a #STR channel on shatteredstar.org and would that be more reliable? The main site, forums, Teamspeak & IRC would all use shatteredstar.org then :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:05 pm

Whizbang
I don't think it's the domain that's the issue but the machine that IRC is being hosted on.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

Return to “Members”