Arbiter Vote 2009

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Who should be Arbiter for 2009/10?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:18 pm

Anubis
39%
Inquisitor
No votes
Killjoy
6%
Stracius
56%

Total votes: 18

Arbiter Vote 2009

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:18 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
And thus we come to the actual vote. You will note that there are only four candidates on the ballot despite five being nominated - this being due to the fact that MS has confirmed to me that he has withdrawn from the race and will not change his mind on the matter.

For those of you who have not read it yet, the "Why Me" thread to give you a chance to read a bit about the candidates' own views on their nomination can be found here: http://www.shatteredstar.org/forums/vie ... f=7&t=6739

If you find you cannot vote, then please either post in this thread or drop me a PM to let me know, and I'll add you to the Members Usergroup. Every SSX member is entitled to a vote.

Think about your vote and vote for the person you think will do the best job. Please make an informed pick for the right reasons, not just voting for someone because you haven't ever played a game with the others.

One further note - thanks to the phpBB3 software this year members WILL be able to change their vote once they have initially voted (provided they do so within the seven day timeframe). So there is no need to worry or make a post should anyone change their mind or accidentally vote for the wrong candidate.

Finally, this will run for a week - closing on the 23rd September. Happy voting.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Arbiter Vote 2009

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:21 pm

BlackDove
Why, I don't know whom to vote for first.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:53 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
BlackDove wrote:Why, I don't know whom to vote for first.
I'm sure you'll decide somehow :p
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:03 pm

Kon
I've read the nominations thread, and the "why me?" thread, and honestly, BD has a point. This election seems to be between four people who really do not want the job at all. This is just a little ridiculous. I'm tempted not to vote at all; but at the same time, I really want to see the numbers on how many other people even bothered.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:26 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I don't think it's as much of a case of not wanting the job as people thinking others would do a better job - and that's something we should be happy to have as it means we have good candidates on the ballot.

I know I speak for myself, and I am sure the others too, when I say that if I'm elected I'd be happy to serve. If the people on the ballot truly didn't want the job, they could easily have withdrawn as MS did, for whatever their reason may have been. Sure, the "Why Me?" posts read negatively, but that doesn't mean to say everyone is saying "Don't give this job to me", it just means everyone is saying "You might want to consider someone who I think would do a better job, or this reason which suggests I may not do the best job".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:24 pm

Stracius
I've always been of the mind that the person most desiring an elected position is the also the last you'd actually want to elect, for that very same reason. Anyone who actually wants the job either doesn't know what it actually entails, or is nuts and has delusions of grandeur. Hmm, is it too late to change my nomination? (*cough*BD*cough*) :)

I do think the others are potentially more qualified than I am, but would be happy to do the job asked of me - as I'm sure is likely the case with everyone else. Don't mistake that for apathy, but I wouldn't expect sane people to attempt popular vote culling as happens in real world politics.

On the flip side: this is a position for an arbiter - not a statesman. We really need to distinguish that if we want to have a leader that's full of spunk and spontaneity, we'll have to actually give one specific person the role of "our leader" - I don't believe that's what an arbiter is, nor should it be.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:57 am

Anubis
Site Admin
As a note to everyone, there are only three days of voting left on this.

If you haven't voted yet, please do so. The process of choosing our Arbiter works at its best if everyone chips in their two cents so that we get a true reflection of opinion!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:31 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
With this poll due to close in around an hour's time, we appear to be tied. If we are still tied come the poll closing, I will extend the deadline by a day to hopefully allow any stragglers to break the deadlock.

If we're still tied up then, I'll re-evaluate the situation then :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Stracius
Really? Only 17 people? Maybe we needs to send out some mails or something.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:24 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Stracius wrote:Really? Only 17 people? Maybe we needs to send out some mails or something.
Yeah, I am kinda feeling the same with regards to the numbers - but I cannot say a dip in numbers is unexpected what with our present lull.

We do have a Mass E-mail function on this board, but I am of the opinion that spamming the membership is not a good way to keep them involved, and thus dislike the idea of using it. If it's still tied up tomorrow, we'll see. Thoughts anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:39 pm

M.Steiner
I did think we'd have around 15-20 before the poll went up considering the activeness recently so 17 seems about right, something that I did want to be proven wrong over though.

I did think the global announcement across all of the forums and a post on the front page would have been sufficient enough to get peoples attention, but maybe if people aren't visiting as often as they used to then they wouldn't have seen those? Mass e-mail out to members MIGHT work but maybe that's going a little too far? Also spammy to send that amount of mails out to everyone and some may not want to receive? (Did one a few years back in WoW to alert people of our server migration but that was quite a big thing for our group and peoples accounts which seemed important enough)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 pm

Stracius
Well, I suppose if they were interested they would've noticed by now. Nix to the email suggestion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:58 am

esd
The trouble is there's not really anything new, innovative and good in gaming at the moment (other than Lore of course!). That and many of us who've migrated from the SSC are getting older (no, really, it's true) so have less time for gaming. Just look at Ed, I've been chasing him for ages trying to get him to play Farcry with me ;)

By the way, what are we going to do in the event of a tie?
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:01 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
esd wrote:The trouble is there's not really anything new, innovative and good in gaming at the moment (other than Lore of course!). That and many of us who've migrated from the SSC are getting older (no, really, it's true) so have less time for gaming. Just look at Ed, I've been chasing him for ages trying to get him to play Farcry with me ;)

By the way, what are we going to do in the event of a tie?
You're right of course. That's the whole root of the issue - there are no really great games out there that we're all jumping to play, at least not Multiplayer/MMO ones. I know a few of us are watching STO and TOR, but again they're still about a year off. It's hard to see ways to resolve the issue on my part simply because if the games don't come or don't interest, people just won't rally.

As for the event of a tie, my current thoughts are to either split the position into six months each or, the more likely, myself to let Strac take the job as someone new whilst I act as an emergency backup of sorts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:37 pm

Isileth
00065: [00:27] <SSX-Anubis> elections are a hindrance
00066: [00:27] <SSX-Anubis> ;)
00067: [00:27] <SSX-Fahd> Y'know, you could just stuff the ballot ;p
00068: [00:27] <SSX-Anubis> I could do that too
00069: [00:28] <SSX-Fahd> ^Would save you the hassle of an uprising ;)
00070: [00:28] <SSX-Anubis> why did I not think of that before now?
00071: [00:28] <SSX-Anubis> Fahd, I must take you on as my evil Strategy Advisor

I think the results are fishy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:17 pm

SSX Fahd
Isileth wrote:
00071: [00:28] <SSX-Anubis> Fahd, I must take you on as my evil Strategy Advisor

:lol:. Proper ballot stuffing requires something blatant; for example one candidate getting 110% of the vote ;).
Fahd, IM Prog's: See profile, Linky: TechSnap Video Podcast
"In the computer world few people read the 'readme.txt' files. In the real
world, few people read the signs that say 'Stand on the right'
" - Fahd.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Isileth wrote:

Someone just got taken off my Christmas Card list. Again. :p

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:44 pm

esd
Anubis wrote:As for the event of a tie, my current thoughts are to either split the position into six months each or, the more likely, myself to let Strac take the job as someone new whilst I act as an emergency backup of sorts.
I wouldn't advocate either of those options. There's no reason why two people cannot work together in the position of Arbiter.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
esd wrote:
Anubis wrote:As for the event of a tie, my current thoughts are to either split the position into six months each or, the more likely, myself to let Strac take the job as someone new whilst I act as an emergency backup of sorts.
I wouldn't advocate either of those options. There's no reason why two people cannot work together in the position of Arbiter.
Whilst you're right, the workload of the job really does not justify two people holding it. It's unnecessary at the present time. Personally I'd rather it just be kept to one, as that is all that we need.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:19 pm

Padishar
:eek:

The low turn out does reiterate what has already been mentioned about changing things up around here.

Soo... All excuses aside (like having only logged in to WoW once in a week and a half),
I probably should have Broadcasted this election on our Vent servers' Welcome screen
and placed it on the Guild Message in WoW :sweat:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:09 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Strac, when you get a sec your thoughts on these ideas would be appreciated either here, in a PM or via IRC. Since you'll be directly affected by whatever we do (assuming this deadlock isn't broken in the next 10 minutes before the poll closes) I'd like to get your input before doing anything. My thoughts are currently still inclined towards the two options I mentioned in the quote.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:11 pm

Inquisitor
Whoever voted for KJ should change their vote :)
No signature

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:28 pm

Messiah
For that matter, maybe someone else would like to change a vote. Lot of pressure to put the decison on the person who voted for KJ. ;)
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:39 pm

BlackDove
No changing, deadline passed.

Now Stracius and Anubis have to each build a fort made out of cardboard, and someone has to scream MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

Then, whoever wins by Fatality is arbiter.

Or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:50 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I've re-opened the poll again to allow for vote changing should anyone wish to do so. It would indeed be convenient for whoever voted KJ to switch heh, but the option is available for everyone :)

Also, the fort idea has potential. If anyone has any spare cardboard that's the call right there.

Return to “Members”