Arbiter Candidates v.2010

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Arbiter Candidates v.2010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:16 pm

Stracius
Here's your chance to kiss some babies while stealing their lollipops, and I know we've some new sproglets from the past couple of years alone so get to work.

I would encourage the nominees to post as to why they would make a good candidate or describe their approach to the position; no negative posts. If you really must, then at least provide a counter-balance argument with both the whys and the why nots.

Re: Arbiter Candidates v.2010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Stracius
Alright, go first I shall.

For some reason I've been nominated again. :weird: I'm not sure why, I really didn't do anything the first time around. Buncha crazies around here, and I fear our supply of cookies and strait-jackets hasn't been restocked in a while.

My views on how the role of arbiter have not changed, I'm still the type that believes in a hands-off approach to management. Unless I see something causing significant disruption, or is requested my attention, I'm not likely to go about making changes to how things are currently run. If it's not broke, don't fix it. That being said, nothing is perfect and if anyone thinks changes need to be made I won't discourage discussing/trading of ideas.

My current activity revolves around playing EVE and lurking on the forums, the latter seemingly sufficient for the job. While I'm available and online for the foreseeable future, I cannot guarantee that the same will hold true in three or six months time. I'm transitioning jobs and finishing up school so a little flux is to be expected.

Vote for me if you will, but don't forget to wear your Peril Sensitive Sunglasses111 should you decide you must.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:22 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Once more unto the breach. This year I'll try to do like Strac has and discuss how I'd approach the role rather than the pros and cons I feel are associated with me :)

In many ways, I have felt that there was a very smooth transition last year when the role of Arbiter moved from myself to Strac, mainly because his approach to the role has been very similar to my own - leaving aside the fact that I used the role to progress my administrative concerns at times. That approach is really hands off, and were I to be elected you would certainly see the same smooth transition occur once again.

What I mean by that is that whilst, as many of you know, I am on IRC every day for a period of 5-6 hours at minimum (more when I'm not at work) and check the forums at several points throughout the day, I believe that the role of Arbiter is really to keep an eye on things and intervene should anything need it.

I am aware that some feel, including myself to a degree, that the community really needs someone to act as a cheerleader of sorts in order to pull in new membership quickly. Quite simply, as Arbiter I would not fulfill that role - and I'm not entirely sure it falls within the Arbiter's domain at all truth be told. I view the Arbiter as a moderator-in-chief who can act as a mediator when the need arises, and nothing more.

With regards to guarantees regarding online time - I can make none, as I can't predict what will happen in the future. But suffice to say I cannot, at present, forsee a situation where I would not be available pretty much every day should a situation arise.

At the end of the day, you've all deigned to put me in the office of Arbiter before - you know what you get with me. If you elect me I will do my best to live up to that trust, and if you do not I'll continue in my quiet administrative role when things need doing. Either way, thanks for your time and for putting me on the ballot once again :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Stracius
Inquisitor wrote:Hi,
I've asked Strac to post this for me since I was too busy to do it myself. Hopefully I'll get around to writing a proper post soon, but this shall suffice until that time.

As many of you likely know, I'm Ed, and I'm a nominee for this year's Arbiter election. I would just like to say that I'm entirely enthusiastic about the opportunity to serve everyone again, and look forward to nothing more than putting forth all my energy to do so! As an Arbiter, I would strive to make everyone happy by doing just about anything they deem necessary; just don't ask me about Godwin's law. Also, I like cookies *hint hint*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Stracius
Messiah wrote:Hi,
Like Ed, I've also asked Strac to write a glorious blurb about me. Hopefully I will also get around to writing a proper post about myself soon, but this shall suffice until that time.

I too share Ed's enthusiasm at the chance for this awesome responsibility, and hope you will vote for me as I think I will do the best job. It's about time for someone who hasn't yet run the place to step in with fresh, wholesome, fun-sized ideas. And to hand out lollipops. Free. Just because I like you all that much :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:31 pm

Stracius
*coughs*

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:00 am

Anubis
Site Admin
I chatted to Ed about this thread tonight, and he asked me to post the log of our conversation as his entry into the thread (to replace Strac's wonderful filler), and note that he does not wish to take part in the poll this year. Said log follows:
[23:45] <SSX-Anubis> though Ed, whilst I remember, I think you need to make a post in the Arbiter "why me" thread
[23:45] <edgardner-mgt> Neither had I till just now
[23:46] <edgardner-mgt> Why me should
[23:46] <edgardner-mgt> Be why NOT me
[23:46] <SSX-Anubis> well, whatever you want to call it :)
[23:46] <edgardner-mgt> But you guys wanted politics :)
[23:46] <SSX-Anubis> It has been a "what I would bring to the role" thread this year
[23:46] <SSX-Anubis> rather than why/why not
[23:47] <edgardner-mgt> And last year and the year before
[23:47] <edgardner-mgt> No diff :)
[23:47] <SSX-Anubis> yeah
[23:47] <edgardner-mgt> I think it's more interesting to anti campaign :)
[23:47] <SSX-Anubis> with static candidates it is a bit repetetive
[23:47] <edgardner-mgt> Starc is new
[23:47] <edgardner-mgt> Done a good job
[23:47] <edgardner-mgt> But not great
[23:48] <edgardner-mgt> Someon needs to grow the place
[23:48] <edgardner-mgt> And move the webserveres
[23:48] <SSX-Anubis> oh, sure. I mean, there's no-one on the ballot who hasnt been there before
[23:48] <edgardner-mgt> That is not me
[23:48] <SSX-Anubis> so obviously "why me/why not me" gets repetetive
[23:48] <edgardner-mgt> Gamers suck :)
[23:48] <SSX-Anubis> and yeah, it's not me either
[23:48] <edgardner-mgt> I don't like them :)
[23:48] <SSX-Anubis> I cant really see us growing until we get a game
[23:48] <SSX-Anubis> hopefully TOR will be that game
[23:48] <edgardner-mgt> No one game will fix it
[23:49] <SSX-Anubis> no
[23:49] <SSX-Anubis> but we need a base before people will come
[23:49] <edgardner-mgt> So disabuse yourself of that :)
[23:49] <SSX-Anubis> "Come to my gaming group where we don't play anything together" is not a good recruiting platform
[23:49] <edgardner-mgt> Nonsense
[23:49] <SSX-Anubis> "Come to my gaming group. We're active in this atm and looking to branch out" is a better platform
[23:49] <edgardner-mgt> Anywho
[23:49] <edgardner-mgt> Not me :)
[23:49] <SSX-Anubis> heh, yeah
[23:49] <SSX-Anubis> I said in my post though
[23:50] <SSX-Anubis> I'm not sure that's the Arbiter's job
[23:50] <edgardner-mgt> Arbiter is in charge
[23:50] <SSX-Anubis> we DO need a cheerleader, but that's not really what the Arbiter is there for
[23:50] <edgardner-mgt> It sure is
[23:50] <edgardner-mgt> Nonsense
[23:50] <edgardner-mgt> Caretaker of the group
[23:50] <edgardner-mgt> Includes growth
[23:51] <Mechanus> I'll cheerlead if I can do it with heavy armament and nasty language
[23:51] <SSX-Anubis> I'm not so sure. It's their job to support efforts to grow the group, and to support anyone trying to do so, yes. But to actyually go and run the recruiting campaign himself?
[23:51] <SSX-Anubis> I don't really agree there
[23:52] <edgardner-mgt> No, but to support that campaign
[23:52] <SSX-Anubis> sure
[23:52] <edgardner-mgt> Orgs like this cannot survive without leadership
[23:52] <edgardner-mgt> No matter what tea baggers say, someone has to be in charge
[23:52] <edgardner-mgt> Build, grow
[23:52] <edgardner-mgt> Make better
[23:52] <edgardner-mgt> Solve problems as they arise
[23:53] <SSX-Anubis> but with us in a situation without that campaign atm until a game comes along we can rally around as we originally did WoW-EU (despite all its failings), the Arbiter can't seriously be expected to run the whole operation himself
[23:53] <edgardner-mgt> Wow can bite me
[23:53] <SSX-Anubis> despite all its failings :)
[23:53] <edgardner-mgt> Another reSon "not me"
[23:53] <SSX-Anubis> We really need a group like that to bring new blood in
[23:53] <edgardner-mgt> Reason
[23:54] <edgardner-mgt> So post this as my "not me" response
[23:54] <SSX-Anubis> just quote the log of this conversation? You sure you don't want to write up a post?
[23:54] <edgardner-mgt> Wonder if I can talk the wife into getting tonic water on wy home
[23:55] <edgardner-mgt> Yup, just the log
[23:55] <edgardner-mgt> I am not running
[23:55] <edgardner-mgt> Zero time
[23:55] <edgardner-mgt> Need to save it for fencing and shooting and the boy
[23:56] <edgardner-mgt> Not necessarily in that order
[23:56] <edgardner-mgt> So unless the ssx creates a shooting club :)
[23:56] <SSX-Anubis> lol
[23:56] <edgardner-mgt> Though I may go download this nfs client
[23:57] <SSX-Anubis> ok then, I will post this log as your post, and point out that you don't want to be in the vote
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:42 am

Stracius
Predictable. At least he makes some fair points, even if I don't agree much with them personally. But that's probably why he thinks I've done a "good" job :p

I'm going to keep him on the poll unless the people that nominated him decide to withdraw said nominations. I don't like the precedent of candidates being able to just say "no thanks", or we may one day end up with nobody to vote for.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:52 pm

SL33PY
I vote for an extension of the mandate of the current arbiter(s)

is that possible?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Stracius
Yeah, you just re-elect the current arbiter and his mandate will be extended another year (may the cosmos have mercy upon our souls) :p

The election process is already in full swing, I'd prefer to see it through. If you feel strongly about it, start a separate thread and see how much support it generates.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:36 am

SL33PY
I'm not really feeling that strongly about it, I just can't think of anything that was bad done by the current arbiter....
Who is the current arbiter btw?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Stracius
I dunno. Some hoser that enjoys tormenting other people.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:55 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
When are we putting the vote up Strac? Not entirely sure Mess has seen this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:33 am

Stracius
I was hoping he'd either see this thread or the PM I sent him. Oddly, global marked threads don't show the new posts icon from the forum index so maybe I should've left it just stickied. Ah well. I may as well go ahead with the poll. Waited too long on Ed and Mess, and now it's almost October.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:15 pm

Messiah
Yes, go ahead with thge poll.

I'm honored to be nominated as arbiter.

We need leadership. The arbiter has been, if not in name, our leader. As we see our community grow smaller and less active, I believe that strong leadership is essential.

If your view of the arbiter's role is one of reconciliation and peacekeeping, then I am the right person for the job. I am exceedingly more temperate than Ed ;) and have a history of trying to keep the peace around here. If you want leadership from the arbiter, I am not well suited for the job. With a wife, three kids and a small business, my time is limited. I check in here weekly, but I do not have the time to be involved on a daily business. If the place is burning down, I can fight the fire, but the daily maintenance is more than I can commit.

Thanks,

Messiah
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
For those who have not checked the Members forum, and may be seeing this Global Announcement at the top of another forum, the Arbiter Vote is now underway here: http://www.shatteredstar.org/forums/vie ... f=7&t=7019

Please take the time to vote. Every voice counts, and your opinion is appreciated as always!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:56 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Only three days left on the vote. If you haven't used your vote yet, please do so soon! We want as many people to participate as possible :)

Return to “Members”