Getting to Know Your 2012 Nominees

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Getting to Know Your 2012 Nominees

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Whizbang
Now it's time for the next round of Arbiter 2012! This phase is called "Getting to Know Your Nominees"!!!!!

All contestants will plead their case and explain why they think they have the meddle to carry the burden of Arbiter and be a good, upstanding tool...er, citizen and do their civil duty to the community. Our nominees are:

Anubis
Isileth
Messiah
MS
Sl33py
Stracius
Last edited by Stracius on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed to Announce for topic highlight
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

Re: Getting to Know Your 2012 Nominees

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:05 pm

M.Steiner
Shall I go first then? :p

Honestly? I'm not fond of the whole political campaign likeness of this part of the voting process to be honest with you. I don't particularly want to sit here and tell you all why you should or shouldn't vote for me over the other guys up for the role so I'll try and keep that to a minimum.
I've been here for many years and those of you who know me will already have your own reasons as to why you think i'd be good or bad at the job. I don't want to try and influence that too much because you're probably better at seeing the positives and negatives of the way I handle things and put things across than I am of myself.
I have mixed feelings on the role of Arbiter and the current need for it here if it isn't a leadership role. Whilst I think it's a good idea that we continue to nominate and elect each year for the sake of keeping our activity as a group up I don't really think the role is needed so much these days like used to be. We don't really have drama or arguments anymore (thankfully) and when it comes down to a decision that needs making the Arbiter isn't needed to have the final say on the matter like the role may have required in the past, simply because all of the big decisions that get made around here are always taken to a vote and the majority wins whether it's by 1 vote or 10. Except maybe if it's a draw but how often does that happen?

Anyway. I'm extremely active here so should I ever be needed, whilst I don't use voice comms, I can be found on IRC for many hours each and every day and I visit the forums several times each day as well.
To be honest, if I became the Arbiter I don't think I'd do anything differently than I do already except have an official title. Do I need a title? No.

That meaning If I see something which needs moderating I'll moderate it as I feel appropriate.
I don't like getting involved with drama or disputes but if I feel I need to comment on something even If I'm not a member of that group or play that game I'll say it, though I have learned from our past WoW group that too much of this can do more harm than good. I try to take an active interest in this place as a whole too and not just the groups I play with.
If I'm a member of particular group of ours ingame I'll most likely take a hands-on approach when I can and feel up to it just like I have done in the past. I don't like to just sit back and let others do all the work.
I'll continue to do website design & graphics work around here when needed so long as I'm in the creative mood for doing it and feel I can come up with something decent.
And just like the Exiles naming thread I posted this week if I feel a subject needs addressing or discussing by the membership I'll go ahead and speak up if nobody else has, whether I'm the Arbiter or not. Subjects like that shouldn't be left alone if there are people feeling quietly unhappy about it.

I consider myself to be a very honest, friendly, approachable and trustworthy person and I always try to come across as best I can when putting my points and opinions across. This place means the world to me and I always try to do the best I can for it. You guys will be the judge of all this. Sometimes I may fail and give others the wrong impression than what I actually intended but I always try my hardest to take other peoples feelings and opinions into consideration as well as my own, whether I agree with them or not.

Would becoming the Arbiter change any of this? Would I be doing anything differently or extra in the role? Not really I don't think. I'll just continue to do what I do heh :)

Thank you to those of you who decided to nominate me in the previous thread or choose to vote for me in this one. Just like previously I think we have a lot of great people to pick from again this year so good luck to everyone else too :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:50 pm

SL33PY
I'm not going to bore you with a wall of text. Most of you will already know me, I've been with SSX for more than 8 years. The past years I've been mostly active in EVE with Ozany, Winbrian and Stracius [and Killjoy, and Lord Hader].

I think of myself as a level headed and rather neutral person and everyone is always welcome to chat me up about anything.

I was nominated for arbiter before, but I didn't want to be one and thus voted for mechanus :p

Whether we will still call ourselves exiles or not is not important, the arbiter is just the guy in the middle when others are squabbling.

So, if you like me for the part, just vote for me, if you don't, vote for BD, oh wait, he's not nominated :p

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
After a few complaints last year that the nominees were too negative - none seeming to want the job - I'm going to try and be a little more positive about this this year. So, why would I make a good Arbiter?

I actually had a short post planned out for this up till yesterday, at which point I realised that none of my "I'm here a lot", etc reasons were really that important. There's actually only one reason to vote for someone in this election - if you believe they can mediate when needed.

The last few days have proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that we do need an Arbiter, despite many beliefs in the contrary over recent years. I think we've fallen into quite the trap over recent times in that because we haven't needed an Arbiter we've almost accepted that we sorted things out ourselves and that is that. The other night proved though that sometimes things spill over, and you do need a mediator or someone to just cool the situation down. Ed used to be particularly good at that when he held office.

If you elect me I will try to be that mediator again, as I think it's extremely important we have someone filling that role. Am I best choice? That's not for me to judge, but I'll give it my all if asked to as ever.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:33 am

Messiah
Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

I have been around for a while. Those who were here since before the "great schism" probably know me to be rational, impartial, and fair. To those of you who have joined us in this best of places since then, I would like to say that I am rational, impartial, and fair.

I am always around, but not usually active. I am invested in the preservation of this place. In the past, when there has been need, I have helped to keep this place going and to keep it together. I am not the right guy to call for daily administration, but I am the guy to call in a crisis.

Why am I nominated every year? I suspect it is because those who nominate me know that I have been present, as have many of us, for this group in time of need. They know I am trustworthy. They know that ego is not an issue. I am not everyone's best friend, but neither, that I know, has anyone in the history of this group ever called me foe. Take that for what it is worth.

I will take the job, but you may have to light the bat signal when you need the Arbiter.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:46 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Isi and Strac need to hurry and post here so that we can have the vote :p

I'll send a prod out tomorrow.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:34 pm

Isileth
Sorry meant to post mine earlier then got side tracked with the Ryder Cup. Since everyone else had this time avoided the wall of text and left it short and sweet I shall attempt to do the same.

I have been a member for over 8 years now and I'm extremely active on irc and the forums so I am always available to contact when needed. However as most people are sick of hearing my current computer is something of a museum piece and as such I haven't been active ingame with the group for some time.
Of course in some ways that doesn't matter at all, to me the arbiter is there purely as an impartial figure to help resolve issues and what could be more impartial than someone who doesn't have a clue what your actually all arguing about.
However some cynics might also point to that as a negative and im inclined to side with them.

If people want to vote for me I am not removing myself from the vote but I'm not really going to be sticking campaign leaflets into your inbox either.
I'm sure all the others would be excellent in the role and much more likely to actually be involved in the games that any disputes might arise from.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:57 pm

Stracius
Well I was hoping you guys would forget I was nominated. Damn you Nubi.

I would argue that anyone who wants a job in leadership is either insane, or harbors an agenda. I suspect I'm closer to insane, but not enough so that I'd actually want the job.

If we argue for who should be elected solely on their ability to arbitrate arguments - which I'm a firm believer of - then I cannot lend any experience in my case (been elected before, but found no cases where presence was needed). I try to see both sides, but I am not without my biases and I certainly tend to be quite opinionated. I do find myself, more often than not, playing the role of mediator, but I cannot say that I'm effective at that role.

If we argue that the arbiter should be more of a leadership role (as has been brought up in the past), I am *not* the candidate for this. I cannot provide for inspiration or direction, but only coordination and management. I do believe that an arbiter is, has been, and always will be required; what ultimate role he or she should take is still a matter of debate.

If you guys do decide to elect me then I shall do my best to keep you all sane, and then find the guy who annoyed me the most and make sure he gets elected next year.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

Return to “Members”