Name suggestions (Votes lost, please re-vote)

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Which name and tag would you like us to go with?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:34 pm

Shattered Star Community | SSC
36%
Shattered Star Community | STR
No votes
The Shattered Star | STR
45%
The Shattered Star | TSS
No votes
The Shattered Star | SSTR
18%

Total votes: 11

Name suggestions (Votes lost, please re-vote)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:55 am

M.Steiner
Ok, so we have 2 names to pick from: Shattered Star Community and The Shattered Star.
With those we have a choice of tags: STR (shortened version of star, but could also have a double meaning of strength which I think works quite nicely). Or SSC and TSS which is what both names abbreviate to by themselves. The latter option (The Shattered Star) deliberately includes the "The" in the name so as to not have our name read as "SS".

[Edit1: Added SSTR for The Shattered Star]
[Edit2: Adding the above has unfortunately reset the vote and will require those who had already voted to vote again. Very sorry for the inconvenience.

Vote away! :)

So it has been decided that we continue to discuss other naming options before we decide which name we're ultimately going with. This is the place to do just that.

Suggestions:
  • #1 - Shattered Star Community
    We've always had a community here so keeping it simple and going with "Community" has seemed like a good idea to me which is why I proposed it before. Individual groups within the community can use alternatives to that if they wish (and we have allowed over the years already) but the name we have above the door and the place that we bring people back to is just the "Community". Which it already is and always has been, just not in name.
    Shattered Star Community abbreviates to SSC which is the same tag we wore when we were part of the Confederation way back when but the Confederation exists no longer and hasn't for quite some time now. Since we are the only Shattered Stars remaining (and have never stopped calling ourselves that) I personally think it would be kind of nice to reclaim the tag along with it, just under the Community name. A nod to the past and where we came from but also a move to the future at the same time.
  • #2 - Shattered Star or "The Shattered Star"
    Same idea above with keeping it simple etc except we have no other name on the end and we just leave it at the Shattered Star. Nothing else. Whether Confederation or eXiles, we have been the Shattered Star since 1997 and that has never changed. Nobody gets to choose a name to stick on the end of it and we stay with what we have always used and all agree on. Looking at it.. this may be the fairest option on everyone here tbh.
    Honestly, I'd go with this idea in a heartbeat but there's one problem I've always had with it and that's the tag in which the name abbreviates to by itself. "SS" is not a good tag to have without a third word and that needs no explanation. The clear alternatives being TSS for "The Shattered Star" or "S2" for just "Shattered Star". I do think however, that even if we officially went with "S2" for "Shattered Star" that we'd still get people calling us the SS because that's what the name reads as.

That being said - Another idea has just popped into my head after seeing something Resident Evil related (lol) - "STARS". It moves further away from SS[+] but then so would something like TSS or S2. That being said it kinda makes sense. Whatever variation of the name people are using in their games (like Shattered Star Community for the Star Citizen group, Burning Stars if another group goes with that in the future, or Shattered Star Exiles if the no voters still want to go by that in a limited sense). "STARS" still manages to represent all of its groups and members within. If we went with that it might be a good idea to introduce "The" to the start of our name so as to distance ourselves from "SS" though, that way we'd be "The Shattered Star" rather than just "Shattered Star".
  • #3 - Shattered Star Society
    Another name which has been suggested before today and would also be fitting for the group.
    Tags being either SSS or S3. I like Society but SSS might be a bit too similar to SS I think?. And I feel the same about S3 as I do S2. Hmm. I suppose "STARS" could be applied to this too but I don't think it works as well as with just The Shattered Star myself.

I prepared this post on Monday so as to have something ready to stick up should we have decided to go down this route but having had a few days to think some of these over, if I vote for anything else other than Community it will be "The Shattered Star" with the "STARS" tag (unless someone comes along with a better idea). I do prefer the SSC tag with Community but I could totally get behind that idea too.

Anyone else have any other naming suggestions? Post em up, let's go :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Name suggestions

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:10 am

BlackDove
I'm voting for the name I wanted since Neocron days.

No-Talent Ass-Clowns.

Or NTAC for short.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:26 am

NF
Arbiter
Option two is my clear favourite here. Though I totally agree that =SS= should not be on the table.

Nice out of the box thinking MS: I actually really like =STARS= (or perhaps =STAR= as we're a singular shattered star, added bonus of reducing the number of letters in the tag). Either way it seems like a nice nod to our space based game origins.

(I also have no problem with =TSS= which I think might have a lot more availability in games. If tag availability does prove to be an issue then at least we have a hierarchy of different options we can call upon.)
NF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:15 am

Ozone
Well, I always like the 'Armada' or 'Naval Armada' take.

So, how about Armada of the Shattered Star or ASS

We could even add a tagline to it and logo it up!

Armada of the Shattered Star
Hunting bounties, mining Assets, secure Transport, and top-notch Security

When you need the peace of mind that only professional can offer, call the ASSHATS
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:16 pm

M.Steiner
:lol:
On a serious note:
M.Steiner wrote:If we're to do the latter then I suggest we make those short as well. Perhaps 3-4 days for the brainstorming and then 3-4 days for the follow-up poll. A week tops for both combined. 2 week polls are far too long to try and account for those who are visit rarely. Please be around :)
We're going on 4 weeks with this stuff and this thread has been open for 35hrs now. You guys wanted to continue discussion regardless of the fact that our previous poll results have always been carried, and so that's what we're doing. Can we please do that and get on with it? and seriously :)

So: If you're not fond of Shattered Star Community and the =SSC= tag, how do you feel about the idea I put forward with The Shattered Star and =STARS= (or STAR). Read #2 in the opening post if you haven't already.
This part of our name has always remained the same and has never been an issue for us so by choosing that we're already all in agreenace really, we're just not split over whatever name we might normally have stuck on the end of it. So we don't, we leave it at that. Or has someone got a better idea to put forward? :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Isileth
Ok Sorry for getting to this a bit late, been tied up and busier than usual.

For me Shattered Star Community just seems redundant and doesn't really sound right. I see it the same way as saying Shattered Star Group or Shattered Star Guild, just looks odd to me.
I also don't like the tag SSC, it only has negative history attached to it as far as im concerned and its in no way appealing to see us go back to it.

I don't like the STARS tag, not only is it too long but it seems to be going to far away from our current identity.

I do however quite like just being Shattered Star, its just a shame that the tag would be SS which im pretty sure none of us would like to going round with. At the same time TSS and S2 don't appeal to me either. Not sure I can see a good tag though :(.

On a side note as I mentioned in one of the other threads I would like us to be clear on what our group naming policy would be at the end of this whole affair. Would we stick to the group name through all our games or would people be free to change it and if so how far? If we do go with Community and SSC could someone create an ingame group called Shattered Star Confederation. Personally I believe we should use the same name unless its already taken.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:24 pm

NF
Arbiter
As a quick run down of other letter combos if [STAR] is not your cup of tea..

[SHS]
[STR]
[SHA]
[SST]
[SSO] -> Shattered Star . Org

Or we could keep the X but just as a filler and no longer link it to Exiles - use it like they use X in Generation X.. i.e. not actually standing for anything.
NF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:08 am

M.Steiner
hmmm. Just a quick test with STR to see how that looks, rather than the full "STAR" or "STARS" as suggested:
str.png
str.png (1.7 MiB) Viewed 37464 times
Edit:
Isileth wrote:On a side note as I mentioned in one of the other threads I would like us to be clear on what our group naming policy would be at the end of this whole affair. Would we stick to the group name through all our games or would people be free to change it and if so how far? If we do go with Community and SSC could someone create an ingame group called Shattered Star Confederation. Personally I believe we should use the same name unless its already taken.
I don't see why this would change myself. Just do what we've always done and it be decided on a group by group basis, with the name we ultimately have above being the preferred choice for people to use.
Freespace group used to be the Burning Stars, Neocron went as both the "SSC UA" and "Exiles UA" (for our United Angels alliance) for a while, I believe they even went as "SSeX" at one point but I was out of the game at that point, WoW:EU were the Exiles of Shattered Star and our group in Star Citizen are the Shattered Star Community. We haven't done it very often but it's something we've always allowed and has never caused any problems to my knowledge. As long as the name is within reason (and shares shattered/star or whatever), we're still linking people back to the same place and we're all playing by the same ideal standards, I don't see why we'd suddenly stop allowing it tbh.
A discussion for another day though if it needs to be had.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:08 am

Ozone
I like 'The Shattered Star', using STAR as the tag. Taken off MS's graphic, we can always focus on the STAR tag as part of the logo, for example, a quick throw together in a 70's cop drama style 8D,,,

Sub background and SC ship for dungeon and warriors, or mechs and dropships, or put the graphics in the 'STAR', loads of options, all retroish ;)

Jut my 2c.

And, to throw a cog in the works... The Shattered Star, which seems to be focused on, indicates a group that split, and the shattered connotation dictates that. If the Exiles' have survived and flourished in this new community, why not give it a new name?
How about 'Phoenix Star'
or, to go sciency with the formation of a new star,
'Protostar' or 'Protostar Alliance' or 'Exiles Protostar'
'Exile Phoenix'?

Just another 2c.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:36 am

Chaos
I like The Shattered Star best of all the options given so far. It is our symbol afterall. And its simple, and easy to remember. Not sure on what tag to use though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:15 am

M.Steiner
Honestly, going into this I hadn't considered anything outside of extentions of the Shattered Star and wasn't looking to entertain any such ideas personally, however:
Ozone wrote:'Phoenix Star'
I actually really like this.
After a long stretch of not doing much to having a promising new group on the horizon, some of us playing regular co-op together, a shift in the way we operate (with the introduction of Twitter, YouTube & Twitch, also drawing people in from reddit) and moving on from the name we gave ourselves during the split. "Phoenix Star" seems very fitting with what we're doing right now. I like it.

My only thinking with this (other than the obvious and moving much further away than any of the suggestions made before it), is that a different name entirely would suggest a new logo since the one we have is supposed to represent the Shattered Star and each of its ideals. If we did go with that, would anyone here be up for such a challenge?.
I love this logo I found:
I can picture something like that but with a star behind the phoenix, pointing out from the top middle and bottom left/right.
Some of our other site graphics would then need updating with the new logo (like the main site "gaming together since 1997" and the ideals image on the charter page for example) but if someone else can actually design it, I can update those. Our existing avatars and wallpaper images would be quite outdated as well but.. still like this idea.
Might be a bit weird having our existing groups still using variations of the Shattered Star as well but I don't suppose that's much different than having the likes of Burning Stars within the group in the past.
Edit: Disregard the above. We forgot one major thing. Our domains. It needs to be Shattered Star something or other, or just the Shattered Star.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:32 pm

QuantumDelta
I like STR.
I also like the idea of keeping the main group called The Shattered Star, or Shattered Star Community, while letting game groups name themselves whatever fits within the constraints of SS*

STR works for me though, STARS was too long and it is used a lot.
I don't think we should give up the Shattered Star part of this, considering all the holdings and work put into it already.
"Then, to hide their frailty, they hurt those who are kind.
I whisper farewell to this ugly world and dance nimbly with brilliant wings of red."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:52 pm

BlackDove
If we do go with Shattered Star, make note that I will go around as =SS=BlackDove, and if anyone asks me, I will refer them to you for an explanation.

That said, just Shattered Star was always the best option.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:12 pm

M.Steiner
Anyone else? :)
It seems like we all like The Shattered Star (not without "The" since it abbreviates to "SS") idea so we just have to decide on a tag to go with that (or a couple), and we can then put those in a poll besides Shattered Star Community.

Tags mentioned so far:
STARS
STAR
TSS
STR
SHA
SST
SSO (shatteredstar.org)
SSX

I've included:
NF wrote:Or we could keep the X but just as a filler and no longer link it to Exiles - use it like they use X in Generation X.. i.e. not actually standing for anything.
But whilst I've never had a problem with the tag itself, it has been linked to Exiles for 11 years now. Perhaps not such a good idea if we're moving with change and away from that name.

I quite like =SSO= as well after mulling it over a bit. It's not moving too far away from our previous tags either, keeping the SS[ ]
sso.jpg
sso.jpg (173.72 KiB) Viewed 37404 times
For me it'd be a choice between: Shattered Star Community with [SSC] / [STR] / [SSO]. Or The Shattered Star with [STR] / [SSO].

I love STAR & STARS but I do agree that they're a bit long and will be much more commonly used tags. =STR= or =SSO= seem quite nice though. How does everyone else feel about those two? Do you have a favourite?. If we can narrow that down slightly I can put a poll up for:

Shattered Star Community - SSC
Shattered Star Community - Tag 1
The Shattered Star - Tag 1

Where Tag 1 is either STR or SSO. Or we could put both in there but then the poll would have 5 options which seems a bit much?. Up to you guys, what do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:08 pm

NF
Arbiter
Sounds good MS. And agree on the SSX - was just a random thought.

I think I prefer STR over SSO for the poll purely because it conjures more of an image of Star than SSO.. as I cant help but think that we'll spend all our time explaining the "O"
NF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:36 am

Ozone
I like this...

Shattered Star Reconciles (SSTR)

just keeping the pot stirring ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:12 am

SL33PY
I have been away from this discussion for a while and it seems like a consensus is near, so I'll chime in my 2 cents

Personal preference:
  • Name: The Shattered Star
  • Tag: TSS (if BD wants it can be fancified to [TSS] or =TSS= or ...
Love the constructive dialogue! :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:02 pm

M.Steiner
How do these poll options look, guys?

#1 - Shattered Star Community [SSC]
#2 - Shattered Star Community [STR]
#3 - The Shattered Star [STR]
#4 - The Shattered Star [TSS]

Shattered Star Community & The Shattered Star with a choice of what their name naturally abbreviates to (SSC and TSS) vs the =STR= tag already mentioned above. Sound good? :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:19 pm

Chaos
Sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

NF
Arbiter
:thumb:
NF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:38 pm

M.Steiner
Poll is up :thumb:
I've set it to 4 days but can be extended if needed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:26 am

Ozone
What about an option of SSTR for Shattered Star?

Re: Name suggestions (Votes lost, please re-vote)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:29 pm

M.Steiner
Ozone wrote:What about an option of SSTR for Shattered Star?
I'll add this into the poll in just a sec but we should leave it at that imo. For The Shattered Star though so as to distance ourselves from that SS tag.
I'd have said if we were going with a 4 letter tag we might as well go with the full STAR but I would assume that SSTR would be far less common. Though I do quite like that STR could refer to "strength" as well, as some gamers may first associate that with.

[Edit1]
<censored>, adding that extra option has just wiped the votes :smack:
Anny, is there any way to get those votes back other than have people re-vote?. There were 5 votes for The Shattered Star | STR and 1 vote each for Shattered Star Community | SSC and The Shattered Star | TSS.
Sorry guys, didn't realise that would happen :/

[Edit2] No way to add the votes back without knowing exactly who voted. Really sorry for the inconvenience guys, please cast your vote again. No more options will be added now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:48 am

NF
Arbiter
Also some of those who had already voted might have wanted to switch their vote to the new option - so needed a fresh start again anyway imo.
NF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:15 pm

M.Steiner
Re-voting is enabled so peeps can still do that if they want :thumb:
I just hope some of the people who voted on Wed aren't the lesser active folk who voted and may not pop back for a while, not see my "please re-vote!" alerts and thus miss their chance. Some of those peeps are yet to do so as we had 7 votes last time and I hadn't voted yet. We're at 5 atm and that's included my vote so there's at least 3 people who haven't re-voted yet and that's assuming the other 4 are the same people who voted on Wed.
I've made a global announcement alert for re-voting as well as changing the thread title and adding it as our topic on IRC so there's enough warning there. Just have to hope people actually visit now to see them :)

Return to “Members”