2015 Arbiter Elections

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

2015 Arbiter Elections

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:14 pm

SL33PY
Hey guys,

Yet another year has passed and it is yet again time to announce your nominees for The Shattered Star Arbiter. I have held this position for the second year in a row now. At the beginning I was a lot more active than during the second half of the year due to a lot of things going on in real life.

I'm really proud of the effort that has been put into the new site and the new found love of new media.

As stated in my first paragraph, real life has me going on on a lot of things
  • My regular work (40h at a client)
  • My work that came with my promotion (managing 25 developers)
  • Kids
  • My wife's business
  • Starting a racing team (yes still on-going)
  • Evening classes
This all to say that real life got me tied up too tight to be of real value for you guys and I am no longer a candidate to run for Arbiter.

I'm looking forward to read all replies

Re: 2015 Arbiter Elections

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:47 pm

M.Steiner
Nominating is kinda difficult this year I think. Not that I think the Arbiter needs to fill the same role as a "leader" per se (though it helps), I do think the Arbiter needs to be someone who remains actively involved, available and present within the community, here on the forum. In all honesty, there aren't many people who fit that atm even if they are "Arbiter material".
Twitter & YouTube have been a great addition to our web presence with Twitch usage to hopefully follow in their footsteps at some point (I would stream too if not for my net). The forum itself, the place we link people back to and basically the heart of the community though? Tis at its slowest it has probably ever been tbh. We need to work on that. I do my best, but it's tiring when some days you are literally just talking to yourself.

As for my nomination. There aren't many people I can choose for some of the above as I say (the activity & community presence bit) but as far as "Arbiter material" goes, I'm just going to nominate the one person this year and that's NF. During our talks, polls & transition to STR he was one of the most level-headed people involved in the discussions (both on here and a lot on IRC), he got involved, offered reasonable suggestions and was also ready to chip in and help out with stuff that needed doing (and did do). All good qualities in an Arbiter I think :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:04 pm

NF
Arbiter
That's very kind of you MS :)

Not that I would turn it down if I was needed but I do wonder if there might be more active candidates better suited to the role than me, a lowly forum lurker stuck in a gameless purgatory...
NF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:07 am

BlackDove
I nominate MS.

As a permanent arbiter.

Until he DIES.

And we never have to do these again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:56 am

M.Steiner
NF wrote:I do wonder if there might be more active candidates better suited to the role than me, a lowly forum lurker
Tbh, most people here are forum lurkers atm. Other people do still use the forum but some days it really can just be me. IRC is still active, people are still playing games (obviously to different degrees) but as far as forum usage goes? We have very, very few regular posters now.
Anny for example, is far less active than he has been in the past and he'll say so himself, but even saying that, he is usually the most active forum member here besides myself.

Going by forum activity, presence and general involvement, I would be the obvious choice here (not to blow my own trumpet). I wouldn't turn the position down if I were voted into it or anything, but I do think I already do a lot here & on our other sites.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:01 am

Isileth
BlackDove wrote:I nominate MS.

As a permanent arbiter.

Until he DIES.

Seconded

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:33 am

Whizbang
Isileth wrote:

As a permanent arbiter.

Until he DIES.

Seconded
Let's just have him sign it in blood and be done with it already. We all know how much he puts into this place.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:36 pm

NF
Arbiter
Isileth wrote:

As a permanent arbiter.

Until he DIES.

Seconded
Gets my vote! Long live King MS
NF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:14 pm

M.Steiner
I think my post may have been misunderstood slightly. It was more of a "don't I do enough as it is?" rather than "please nominate me" :p

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:40 pm

BlackDove
If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even read your post.

I just saw a bunch of words, and scrolled down to the input field, so I could share my wisdom with you swine yet again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:14 pm

Kon
I second NF's nomination.

I think MS is a fine candidate as well, but I don't believe that the Arbiter position is irrelevant. Just recently we had a big debate on changing the name of the organization. The role of the Arbiter is not to be a public face for STR. That is the job of all of us. The job of the Arbiter is to bring people together and bridge the gap in these situations that have potential to cause division in the community.

MS has been doing a lot of great things with social media, and I appreciate him essentially keeping the lights on while a lot of us aren't very active at the moment. But I think it's a mistake to put even more responsibility on his shoulders. It's not good for any of us to dump all responsibility onto one guy whenever we're feeling busy.

With big new releases like Star Citizen and Rainbow Six just around the corner, it's time for us to get things in order and begin acting like the uniquely horizontal organization we are. Isn't that what all this prep work with the new site and creating social media accounts was all about?
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:51 am

esd
Nibbly and MS would both suit the role, tempted to nominate anny, partly just to bug him...
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:42 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I probably don't have enough time these days to do the role justice if I'm honest, even if I still didn't feel being admin in these parts should rule me out of contention ;)

I second the nomination of MS. I don't view it as more being asked of him, or more work, just that he's a very level headed guy with a good temperament who would serve to the best of his ability - which, I believe, is all that you need to do the job well.

I also feel that given the re-branding, it's fitting for the role to go to one of the main architects of that this year. With that having won the vote, and therefore that vision of this group having won through, it should be someone who believes strongly in that vision representing us in the near future.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:04 pm

M.Steiner
Kondratev wrote:MS has been doing a lot of great things with social media, and I appreciate him essentially keeping the lights on while a lot of us aren't very active at the moment. But I think it's a mistake to put even more responsibility on his shoulders. It's not good for any of us to dump all responsibility onto one guy whenever we're feeling busy.
I'm kinda feeling the same way, Kon. I won't refuse the role if that's what people end up voting for but I do feel as if I already do a lot for this place. I think it will initially annoy me that I'd be taking on another responsibility on top of everything else I do, whilst other people (most likely) go on to do less which is what has been happening. Activity has picked up a little bit this week but I wouldn't be surprised (and I hope I'm wrong) if it goes back to the same as before once the polls & stuff are over. This is usually the case.

If we look at forum presence, despite Anny having a lot going on irl and "actively looking for more reasons to spend evenings out or away from the PC" as he said on IRC earlier, he's the most active person on the forum beside myself. If our second most active member doesn't feel he has the time for this and NF was wondering if there was someone more active than him for the role, this doesn't leave us with many options lol. God help my sanity :p

Seriously though. If things pick up, then okay. But if I'm the one who's voted into the position and I add that responsibility to my plate with everything else. If people continue to visit, post and do less around here as has been happening, I'll be pretty upset as that just wouldn't be fair imo :)

Anyway, unless some further nominations come in it looks like it'll be NF & myself on the ballot this year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:46 am

SL33PY
The nominees for the arbiter positions are NF and MS time for the next step

are we doing the vote for me post too or are we going to the voting immediately?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:12 pm

M.Steiner
If nominations are over with (and there doesn't seem to be any more posts coming in) we'd normally move to the Arbiter nominees thread next, where (in this case) NF and I would make a post for people to read before they voted. I never really liked that step myself so no objections here if we were to just go straight to a vote. Nothing stopping us from making those posts in the poll thread itself if we wanted to :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:24 pm

NF
Arbiter
M.Steiner wrote:If nominations are over with (and there doesn't seem to be any more posts coming in) we'd normally move to the Arbiter nominees thread next, where (in this case) NF and I would make a post for people to read before they voted. I never really liked that step myself so no objections here if we were to just go straight to a vote. Nothing stopping us from making those posts in the poll thread itself if we wanted to :)
No objections here either :thumb:
NF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:16 am

Ozone
M.Steiner wrote:If nominations are over with (and there doesn't seem to be any more posts coming in)
Very busy with real life but, none-the-less, wanted to make my voice heard.
I agree to whatever was said.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:29 am

Kon
I'd like to hear what the candidates have to say. If nobody standing is going to explain what they want to do, then what purpose does a vote serve?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:13 am

M.Steiner
Kondratev wrote:If nobody standing is going to explain what they want to do, then what purpose does a vote serve?
Any speech posts (should nominees want to post them) would just go in the poll thread itself rather than a separate one and spending another week on the process. One of the reasons I've never liked that part of the elections (other than the fact that I don't like trying to "sell myself"), is that the nominations have always come before it, rather than individuals choosing to stand and then making a speech post or whatever. People nominate others and put them in the running for the position in the first place whether that person would want to stand or not and without those people ever saying a word. You could say the same for that really. Why put someone on the ballot before they've said anything? Just seemed weird to me :)

We can still have the nominees thread but as far as I go, I think I'll only be repeating what I've said here already. I'll stick the thread up this afternoon though :)

[Edit: Nominees thread is up]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Kon
In light of this new issue with the ownership of our STR social media accounts, I think it would be best to postpone the elections until this issue is resolved.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:24 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'm not sure postponing the election is necessary, though I do feel that it would be appropriate for us to lay down social media guidelines/rules going forward. Particularly surrounding political matters.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:39 am

SL33PY
Nominees are known - thread closed

Return to “Members”