All Points Bulletin

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

All Points Bulletin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:00 am

SSX-Ava
As this new breed of MMO is being released in a few weeks, I was wondering whether any of you guys will be checking it out?
Basic premise seems to be Enforcers vs criminals in different areas with around 100 pop servers. Your job as criminal? Mug people, steal cars, rob stores, take out enforcers. Your job
as an eforcer? Stop the criminals taking control of the city by arresting/killing them. It appears as though the more notoriety you get as a criminal the likelihood of a group of enforcers will be given the quest to come find you and take
you down to china town. Seems like a game of cat and mouse on a huge scale.
One thing that does seem to shine too from the vids I've seen floating around the net, is the sheer amount of customization that you can do to your character/vehicles to make yourself utterly unique.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pax-east-apb/63688

and an awesome customization vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhOTrc5554

Re: All Points Bulletin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:17 pm

M.Steiner
The Forza-esque customization options will be fantastic for clans.
We could literally have our SSX star in the game for a clan logo and have us all use that on our clothing, vehicles and/or tattoos, very cool. So much better than a generic looking tabard, more MMOs should have a feature like this. :)

I'm up for giving it a go when I eventually have my PC, we've needed a new active gaming group around here for too long now!. (Same for trying The Old Republic, Earthrise & Black Prophecy if others will be doing too).
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:18 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
If they do a Free Trial for this, I will at least give it a go :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Zephir
They are having a pre release event at the moment called Keys to the City, where you can get a key to play until the game is released.

So check it out http://www.apb.com

Zeph.
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Whizbang
Zephir wrote:They are having a pre release event at the moment called Keys to the City, where you can get a key to play until the game is released.

So check it out http://www.apb.com

Zeph.
Was looking through that link. You get 5 hours of playtime, which is gone in the first day. Then you can't play anymore, just customise things. How much can you do in 5 hours?
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:32 pm

Zephir
Well basically it's an online action game, you don't need to level a character, you increase your standing with different factions to unlock better weapons etc.

There is a small tutorial of 3 or 4 missions that takes about 20 minutes, after that you can leave the starter district and head to the normal action disticts or social district. Time in the social district doesn't count, you only use play time in the action districts.

Play time is purchased using points that can be brought with cash, or earned in game. I believe when you buy the game you get 50 hours of play time to start with.

For an example of what you can do with 5 hours read this guys experiences http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game ... rised.html

I only played for a couple of hours so far and I had a blast, it's not a hard core FPS, it's a fun casual action shoot em up game.

Zeph.
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:08 pm

SSX-Ava
I'm going to be trying it out later on tonight. For those who don't want to pre-order the game and want to try it out for free for the 5 hours, heres a link to eurogamer for a free key ;D
http://gamers.eurogamer.net/giveaways.php?id=87029

looks to be some here too

http://www.alienwarearena.com/event/apb-demo-giveaway/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:50 am

SSX-Ava
Well I played the 5 free hours today pretty much none stop. Once you get started its very hard to turn the thing off, its pretty exciting. From what I've experienced, the customization is vast, the gameplay is fun and the graphics are pretty. Going around solo, you tend to find yourself involved in group battles pretty quickly which are hectic and the best part of the game. If you happen to only find yourself up against one other player who's trying to complete his mission and you're trying to stop him, it can be a tad frustrating as you kill him, he kills you, you kill him, he kills you. That gets old pretty damned fast and you long for a group situation to happen where you can really have a blast. The game isnt that deep, as Zeph said its a casual fun shooter, something you don't need to soak three thousand hours into to be good at. I'll probably pick up a copy and play some until SWTOR comes out and we get a group going there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:01 am

Futile Resistance
I'm hearing lots of fun coming from this if you're playing with a good group / team... Still on the fence though - might be a bit too casual for me to consider shelling extra payments out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:20 am

Kon
Although the gameplay itself looks quite casual and simplistic, I do like the idea of an open-world MMOFPS. I will be keeping an eye on this one, and awaiting reviews and player impressions. It seems like there are a couple others here also sitting on the fence. Is anyone here seriously considering picking this up upon release? I think this game could have a lot of group potential.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:30 am

SSX-Ava
I've got 38hours playtime on it. The game has its faults, it's fairly repetitive and simplistic but.... its ALOT of fun which compensates for the simplicity. Riding around shooting people up and stopping them getting their objectives done is a real heart pounder. The customization is top notch too.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e176/ ... 1278372552

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:35 am

Kon
Oh. Seems it came out this week and I didn't get the memo. :lol:

I will definitely take a look at some reviews. Is there a trial? I would love to get in the game after my PC gets running again.

Is anyone else playing now besides Ava?
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:45 am

Jericho78
It's not available here. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:32 pm

M.Steiner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:04 pm

SSX-Ava

The customisation is amazing and i get to drive around in THAT and kill people. Oh yeah i am the boss.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:02 am

Jericho78
SSX-MS wrote:Steam? :)

Still says not in my area. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:09 am

Futile Resistance
Dang Ava. That was some pretty cool custom art.

Hrm... Sounds like it's a game I'd play if more people *cough* got into it. Wish they had a trial.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:56 pm

M.Steiner
I'm not sure where else to suggest tbh, Jericho. Other than http://store.apb.com or http://www.direct2drive.com/9534/produc ... n-Download mebbe?
I naively thought Steam games must be available everywhere hehe :)

I plan on picking this up too but probably won't spend very long on it until after I've gotten through a stack of SP games I have. Haven't gamed on the PC in several years now so got quite a big list to get through lol.
I dunno whether I'll be any good at it but I do love the customisation of this game. After seeing some of the work Ava has done and other people on the APB forums the idea of designing my own clothing & vehicles as well interests me foremost, some really impressive stuff for an MMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:41 pm

SSX-Ava

MONKEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

that is all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:54 am

Futile Resistance
Nothing more epic than to be run over by a smiling monkey!

Return to “General Discussions”