Online Gaming Bargains

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: today on Steam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:45 pm

Kon
Having spent way too much money on games I still haven't had time to play during last year's sale, I am proud of myself for having abstained from Battlefield yesterday; and I will be passing on The Witcher today.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Padishar
Thx for the heads up :cool:
Luckily, I already had The Witcher...
Snagged Assasin's Creed 2 today tho

AC2 and CoD4: Modern Warfare 1 are on sale, for another 2 hours and 45 min :weird:
So does that mean they were yesterdays "sale of the day"?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:24 pm

M.Steiner
Padishar wrote:AC2 and CoD4: Modern Warfare 1 are on sale, for another 2 hours and 45 min :weird:
So does that mean they were yesterdays "sale of the day"?
Yep. AvP, Bully, AC2, MW etc are all yesterdays daily deals which will be up for another 1hr 35mins. Todays deals will appear once that timer ends and will be available until the same time tomorrow. (6pm GMT over here every evening). :thumb:

Decided not to get anything from yesterdays so will see what today brings!
Assassins Creed 2 was the only one that briefly tempted me really but unfortunately still appears to be infested by Ubisofts DRM going by the steam page and forum. Don't really have a problem with 90% of DRM but Ubi's is a step too far for me and something I don't wish to support personally. I've refrained from buying SC: Conviction & The Settlers 7 because they use it too which is sad because I'd especially like to play the latter as I loved 6 but I'm stubborn so will continue to hold out :p
Hopefully they'll remove it at some point. Legit customers who have just bought the game get screwed are the only ones really affected by it whilst the pirates get a DRM free experience with their workarounds for a game they've paid absolutely nothing for and probably don't intend to buy it later either. Completely ridiculous if you ask me and doesn't make much sense when I think about it. :shake:

If it's not removed I'll just get it for the 360 at some point instead. Ava seemed to really enjoy it so I'm sure it's a game that's more than deserving of my money, just not the PC version currently. /Rant over. I really do despise it lol :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:19 pm

SL33PY
almost bought thq collection pack for 49,99111 ... sigh... not sure, only metro 2033 is something I know is very good, the rest ... i think is old stuff. which is not that interesting

Edit: I'm a sucker for deals, couldn't help myself... I bought it

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:41 pm

M.Steiner
Saints Row 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Company of Heroes, Red Faction Guerrilla & Dawn of War 1 are all very good too imo :)
(Saints Row 2 is one of my favourite 360 games but I'm not sure what the PC port of that is like. Some seem to have lots of problems with it like stuttering/graphics lag depending on OS. If it goes even cheaper than 4.99 (just incase it's unplayable for me) I'll be grabbing that on its own if I don't get the pack)

Haven't played any of the other games in the THQ pack but I'm considering buying that one too. Will see how many other games I buy before then and decide on the last day methinks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:24 pm

SL33PY
actually it's a pack of 23 games for 49,99111 that is about 2,18111 per game... even when some are... well just old and I know I will never play em... it's a damn good deal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:55 pm

Padishar
Just purchased Mass Effect 1 for a 2nd time.
Bought it a year ago on Direct2Drive (which switched to a terrible X activation DRM policy).

I know I mentioned this before, but thought I would remind folks that Steam > D2D

I agree that DRM in itself just punishes legit purchasers, but if we must have it,
then don't go with a X activation policy that Direct2Drive has.

When an activation errors out or I upgrade a PC and get a
"We are unable to activate this game on your PC at this time,
please contact Direct2Drive to get a new activation code"

Um, how about no. :smack:
But wait they should be able to get me a new code with in 5 business days....
And that helps me play my LEGALLY purchased game this weekend how?

Thx to D2D I have repurchased Bioshock and ME1 so far, both are on Steam now instead ^^
Spending 10 bucks each time, so both actually cost me 20 a piece, which both games are DEFINATELY worth to me...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:25 am

SL33PY
new deals of the day includes Fallout: New Vegas, but I think 30111 is too high a price

I'd buy for 20 or so

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:28 am

M.Steiner
Agreed. New Vegas *is* worth 11130 but If I was paying that much I'd want a hard copy personally. New games tend to be rather expensive on steam so I tend to stick with older ones. Infact the new release digital copies can be more expensive than physical copies sometimes. Black Ops and NFS: Hot Pursuit as an example hehe.

Got myself Saints Row 2 yesterday. Such a great game on the 360. Lots of customization and very similar to early GTA games but with better driving mechanics. Just hoping it will run well enough to be playable for me but for 2.50 I won't be too peed off if not... (Grabbed GRAW2 to try as It doesn't look too bad and I've not played that before).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:27 am

SL33PY
been playing saints row 2 yesterday and it's okay'ish, the graphics are a bit on the old side, but so is the game. started playing it after finishing bad company 2 (SP)

like the customizations and I like the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:12 pm

M.Steiner
I'm playing Arkham Asylum PC atm. Will be trying SR2 soonish ^^
Good job I opened my Christmas presents before I saw Arkham on sale. Got a boxed copy of that as a gift and it was one of the main games I was waiting to go on sale again lol.

Some great deals again today. Mirror's Edge was a must buy for me at 113.24. Quite a short game but incredibly innovative, beautiful graphics and underrated imo. (Some other good deals too..)
Will post a list of everything I've got once the sales are over, another 6 days to go lol. :sweat: :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:24 pm

SSX-Ava
just picked up Mirrors Edge, played the console version now to try the pc version.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:47 am

Padishar
SSX-MS wrote: Assassins Creed 2 was the only one that briefly tempted me really but unfortunately still appears to be infested by Ubisofts DRM going by the steam page and forum. Don't really have a problem with 90% of DRM but Ubi's is a step too far for me and something I don't wish to support personally. I've refrained from buying SC: Conviction & The Settlers 7 because they use it too which is sad because I'd especially like to play the latter as I loved 6 but I'm stubborn so will continue to hold out :p
Hopefully they'll remove it at some point. Legit customers who have just bought the game get screwed are the only ones really affected by it whilst the pirates get a DRM free experience with their workarounds for a game they've paid absolutely nothing for and probably don't intend to buy it later either. Completely ridiculous if you ask me and doesn't make much sense when I think about it. :shake:

If it's not removed I'll just get it for the 360 at some point instead. Ava seemed to really enjoy it so I'm sure it's a game that's more than deserving of my money, just not the PC version currently. /Rant over. I really do despise it lol :)
I agree with you and did not realize how far Ubi had taken things until I loaded AC2 for the first time tonight... :smack:
You HAVE to be online, logged in and have registered the game before you are allowed to play it.
And you have to be logged in to UBI each time u wish to play from there on out.

And of course something went wrong with my first 3 attempts to log in / register so I just spent the last couple of hours getting that sorted out...

PS. Snagged Mirrors Edge today as well :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:17 am

M.Steiner
Padishar wrote:You HAVE to be online, logged in and have registered the game before you are allowed to play it.
And you have to be logged in to UBI each time u wish to play from there on out.

And of course something went wrong with my first 3 attempts to log in / register so I just spent the last couple of hours getting that sorted out...
Off to a good start then heh. :/. I really don't get where they're coming from with the system tbh. I would assume that it isn't doing much to combat piracy but probably increasing it and decreasing their sales, be interesting to see some figures.. I'm betting some people who *would* have bought it turned to getting it by other means rather than getting a console version..
Seriously though. Hopefully it won't give you much more trouble so you can at least get your money's worth now that you've bought it. AC2 looks a lot better than the first :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:31 pm

SL33PY
I play AC on PS3 only. Anyways, today EVE online for 5 111 again I'm very tempted to get some (notice the plural)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:39 am

Padishar
I reinstalled and finally beat AC a couple of nights ago, so I could transition to AC2 smoothly.
And there are MANY improvements in AC2 so far :thumb: :thumb:

Section 8 is on sale today (as is Crysis) and I am tempted to get it, since a great deal of people have stated if you
liked Tribes you will enjoy Section 8. Pretty tempting if it is even remotely close to as fun @ $5 US.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:42 am

SL33PY
just got myself crysis pack for 5111

edit: and sim city 4 :o

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:38 pm

M.Steiner
SL33PY wrote:edit: and sim city 4 :o
Good buy. I'd have grabbed that too if I didn't already own a boxed copy ;)
I bought Cities XL 2011 in Monday's sale to see how that compares to Sim City 4 as I've had my eye on that for a while too. Don't expect it to as great as SC as that still is a fantastic city builder but will see, wasn't willing to pay 30 quid for it so I'm glad it went on sale.

(If Anno 1404 goes on sale too that's another good one I'd recommend. Have a boxed copy of that but not the Venice expansion just yet)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:10 am

SL33PY
SSX-MS wrote:
SL33PY wrote:edit: and sim city 4 :o
Good buy. I'd have grabbed that too if I didn't already own a boxed copy ;)
I bought Cities XL 2011 in Monday's sale to see how that compares to Sim City 4 as I've had my eye on that for a while too. Don't expect it to as great as SC as that still is a fantastic city builder but will see, wasn't willing to pay 30 quid for it so I'm glad it went on sale.

(If Anno 1404 goes on sale too that's another good one I'd recommend. Have a boxed copy of that but not the Venice expansion just yet)
I found cities XL too expensive especially if you compare it to Sim City 4

BTW i got a notice from my isp... I'm 90% trough my 80Gb download limit

That's the first time ever woohoo!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:47 am

SL33PY
kane & lynch 2 for 5111/$/11 today... question is... is it worth it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:03 pm

M.Steiner
If you've played the first game I'd say maybe as it's not overly expensive that you'd be fuming in the case you don't like it hehe. Plus you'll get the story (4-5hrs of it anyway) incase we ever get a third game. If you haven't I'd say don't bother tbh.

I bought k&L 2 in the sale at the beginning of Dec. I was more annoyed at it being a wasted opportunity than the fact I bought it really, least it'll fill the gap if there's a K&L3.
Despite the reception of the first K&L ("Heat" the video game :p) I actually thought it was a great game at heart, just needed a few improvements which I hoped would come with no2. I was quite surprised to find there was a second game on the way after the sh*t storm surrounding it so thought maybe they would put out an incredible sequel and put the naysayers in their place. But twas not to be unfortunately.

I just found most aspects of K&L 2 really disappointing and still think the first is much better. A wasted opportunity as I say cos it could have been sooo much more.

I got Dead Space and Amnesia. Got the latter a tiny bit cheaper too for having a Penumbra game from the Humble Indie Bundle #1. Haven't played either before but Dead Space is a game I always meant to buy when I was console gaming. Hopefully be good as DS2 is not far away. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:35 pm

Whizbang
SSX-MS wrote: I got Dead Space and Amnesia. Got the latter a tiny bit cheaper too for having a Penumbra game from the Humble Indie Bundle #1. Haven't played either before but Dead Space is a game I always meant to buy when I was console gaming. Hopefully be good as DS2 is not far away. :)
I picked up those same two yesterday. Amnesia is my sort of game and always heard good reviews about Dead Space so I figured I'd drop a bit of cutter and grab two games for cheap.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:14 pm

M.Steiner
STALKER bundle (first game & Pripyat) for 113
Hitman Collection for 114.49

Well worth it, just what I've been waiting for :D
(Also gonna get the Far Cry Complete pack).
SSX-MS wrote:(If Anno 1404 goes on sale too that's another good one I'd recommend.
I'd still recommend this but Steam have it for 1112.49 and it's cheaper to get a boxed copy for 115.99 on Amazon atm. For anyone interested in it I'd do that instead tbh, very good game. (Ignore the reviews on amazon btw as they're DRM related and that was patched out since).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:02 am

SL33PY
seems I have 100Gb a month limit... which I reached yesterday.. so I can't download anything until the 2nd of january... rip off :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:19 pm

M.Steiner
:(
I guess it's not all bad. Not like you can play all these games at once, right? Steam servers will likely be faster once the sales are over too since they won't be getting hammered as much. :)
Just sucks for anything else you wanted to download before tomorrow :/

Sooo the sales are almost over. I'm guessing today's will be one more daily deal and Sunday's being an encore of previous deals.
Any games in particular that you guys are hoping will still get a daily deal today if that's the case? or hoping will go on sale again during the encore or you plan on getting on sunday if the don't go any cheaper?

I think most of the games I was really hoping would get a daily deal have done already thankfully. That being said I'm keeping my fingers crossed for The Last Remnant to go cheaper than -50% and maybe Half-Life complete. If TLR doesn't become a daily I'll just get it for 50% since that's not a bad price as it is for 9.99 and will probably go back up to 20 on Monday.
I'm also tempted to buy AC2/SC:C or The Settlers 7 after reading http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/31/const ... oft-games/ yesterday. Will see. I've bought more than I planned on doing already by giving in to temptation but I'll have saved a fortune so all is good! :)

Return to “General Discussions”