I often go around in games exploring and looking for screenshot opportunities, a lot of which I've posted here over the years. The avid gaming photographer in me always comes out when I'm playing a pretty game heh. My screenshots are always spread across different threads or sections of the forum though depending what they're screenshots of. This is a dedicated thread just for that. I imagine I'll be the main poster in here (maybe besides Khizune) given the amount of screenshots I tend to take but it'd be great if more of you join in too, or comment on stuff if not share.
RULES - PLEASE READ:
- No major spoilers for any brand new releases. We don't want people avoiding the thread due to fear of having a new game spoiled for them. That's not cool.
- Name the game(s) your screenshots are from along with the platform they were taken on. It may not be obvious for some titles and they may encourage some of us to want to check them out!
- No limit to the amount of posts you can make or screenshots you can post, at least for now. If there's something you wanna share, share it. Any forum activity is good activity.
- To limit thread scrolling, if you're posting more than 1 screenshot at a time please try and post screenshots in 2s (see how I've posted mine below).
- Try to limit your compression if possible. For example: Please don't take a lossy jpg only to upload it to Facebook or Twitter. The jpg is likely compressed as it is but sites like FB & Twitter apply their own compression on top of that, basically destroying that lovely image you've just taken. FRAPS offers uncompressed PNGs, as does the PS4 & Steam. For PS4, hit the share button, then options and you'll find PNG under "Image format" of screenshot settings. For Steam - go to "View > Settings > In-Game and tick "Save an uncompressed copy". This will save a PNG in your screenshot folder as well as a compressed jpg which they let you share to the Steam community galleries. You can't upload uncompressed screenshots to Steam itself though so you'll need to upload the PNG elsewhere.
- For hosts, I use flickr. They offer 1TB of storage which is probably more than you'll ever need and they don't compress your images themselves when you upload them either. Not sure how to directly link your flickr PNG? Click here:First click your image and look for these icons at the bottom right:
Click the one circled in red and select "View all sizes"
This will bring you to a page like so:
Click original as underlined in red which will then load your original PNG below it. Simply right click the image > view image (from the drop down) and then grab the URL for your screenshot in the address bar.
Pretty simply to use but it isn't always obvious at first. It took me a bit of finding
Left is a PNG uploaded to flickr. This is completey uncompressed both with the image format and the host. Right is a JPG (already compressed) uploaded to Twitter (who add their own compression on top).
Compression is easier to see on some images than others (though anyone with a good eye will probably notice straight away) but take a closer look. Here's the bottom right of the above images zoomed in:
The JPG/Twitter pic is just a mess lol. Tis not worth taking beautiful screenshots if you're gonna compress em to hell and back now is it?
Looking forward to seeing what games you guys are playing and decide to share screenshots of and I hope you enjoy what I end up sharing in here too. Discussion is welcome and encouraged!