Live music of 2016

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Live music of 2016

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:42 pm

M.Steiner
Don't know if there's that much interest for them here (feel free to ignore if so lol) but I thought I'd stick these in their own thread rather than continue to post them in the best music of 2015 thread, even if the ones I'd posted so far were relevant to the list of album choices I posted in it :)

Music is (and always has been) one of my biggest loves in life & there is nothing quite like seeing one of your favourite artists live in an arena or stadium. I'm seeing quite a lot of gigs this year and as some of you may know, I usually come away with a video or two as a memento and to share to my YouTube channel. I'll be posting my live music vids of 2016 below, if you're interested! :)

My gig lineup for the year:
  • Adele | 7th March
  • Jeff Lynne's ELO | 9th April
  • Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds | 27th April
  • Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band | 25th May
  • Coldplay | 4th June
  • Neil Young + Promise of the Real | 10th June
  • The Four Tops & The Temptations | 23rd Oct
  • The Australian Pink Floyd | 28th Oct
  • Yusuf/Cat Stevens | 14th Nov
ADELE
JEFF LYNNE'S ELO
NOEL GALLAGHER'S HIGH FLYING BIRDS
COLDPLAY
NEIL YOUNG + PROMISE OF THE REAL
I'll leave my latest video additions un-spoiler tagged as I add them, which is currently Noel Gallagher whom I saw last night.

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band are up next (at the time of writing). Huge fan of The Boss (and Steven Van Zandt played one of my fav characters in The Sopranos too lol) but have never gotten to see him live unfortunately, as such he's been on my bucket list for a loooong time. I don't expect he'll be everyones cup of tea (though the same can be said for anything I guess!) but his name has always popped up when I've seen or heard other people talk about the best gigs they've ever been to or artists people consider to be a must see (just look around). That's one particular gig I'm especially looking forward to & one I expect will be one to remember.

I don't plan on adding any other gigs to the above list this year as it's already full enough lol, though I am admittedly watching Paul McCartney's tour blog for his One On One tour as I want to try & see him at least once more. Only seen him the once (last year in Liverpool) which was mindblowing & something I'll remember for the rest of my life, but having his & The Beatles music throughout my entire life pretty much... just thinking back to it is actually kind of surreal, like I still can't quite believe I've actually seen him & dreamt it up. So, methinks I need to go see him again haha :D

Enjoy if you watch any, comment, like & share etc if you want too (<3). Feel free to share some of your own video clips in here too if you're going to some gigs this year yourself and manage to capture some (or other peoples videos from your show if not), would be nice to see & share with you guys! :thumb:

Re: Live music of 2016

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:58 pm

M.Steiner
Half way through my concert lineup for this year now with Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band last night at the Etihad in Manchester. Felt a bit weird at first (before they came on stage that is) as other than the several acts who have supported them there, every single other time I've been to the Manchester stadium has been to see Bon Jovi so was a bit strange going there to see someone else as it's always been Jovi's place for me hehe.

As was my luck, it pissed it down the entire time we were there but that didn't but a damper on the show at all & Brucey & the band rocked that stage for over 3 hours. There aren't many of the greats still standing (and we lost a few of those this year sadly) but The Boss is definitely one of those and I can see why so many people put his shows up there among the best they've ever seen. It certainly was for me too. What a show.

Surprise highlight for me was probably Santa coming early.

"U wot?"

Bruce tends to shake his setlist up a lot more than some of the other acts I've seen (Bon Jovi often do that over here too). A lot of artists (even if they have a big back catalogue) have a setlist worked out for their tour and play the exact same set every night, Bruce doesn't. He'll still fill it with a lot of the same tracks but he swaps some hits out for others (he's got a lot to pick from!), takes sign requests, plays songs that he hasn't played at any other dates on the tour etc. There was someone down near the front dressed up from head to toe in a Santa costume & a sign request for Santa Claus Is Coming to Town, Bruce had him come up on stage and they played it (a tour premiere). Can't say I was expecting that in May, the crowd loved it lol.

Song highlights: Too many to mention but got goosebumps a few times, like during Jake Clemons' solo on Thunder Road (saxophone). Shame I never got to see Clarence with them but Jake does him proud.

I had planned to record a few other songs but decided not to in the end, and I was too busy singing away etc anyway heh. Apart from recording them for my YouTube channel, they're a keepsake for me. That being said, all of Bruce's shows are professionally recorded and you can actually buy a recording (audio) of the exact show you were at, which I'll be doing (got a voucher from one of the merchandise stands yesterday) - This needs to catch on with other artists already! It's more money for them & a lovely memento for concert goers. Why the <censored> not? :)
recordings.jpg
recordings.jpg (180.78 KiB) Viewed 14749 times
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:27 pm

M.Steiner
Videos added for Neil Young, one more legend ticked off my list!
Those are the last vids until October btw :)

Another brilliant show as I expected it would be.
We were treated to If I Could Have Her Tonight from his debut album last night. He's played it twice, Once in 1968, once last night. I got a vid.
Down by the River... wow. I wasn't timing it but it must have been a 30 minutes+ rendition or so. Insane.

Killer setlist overall. Really happy to have heard Winterlong & Rockin' in the Free World especially as he hasn't been playing them every night and they're 2 of my favourites. It was also RITFW that originally introduced me to his music through hearing Bon Jovi cover it :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:23 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
The amount of content you've generated this year has been insane! Great quality as always :D
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:57 pm

M.Steiner
Cheers bud :)
There's someone else doing a show on Tuesday who I would have loved to have seen: but he's only playing the one show in London.

Not like I haven't already seen some amazing acts this year though!
Just Four Tops & The Temptations and Aussie Floyd left. Then we'll see what 2017 brings. Black Sabbath were just announced a few days ago which is pretty tempting. It's their final tour, tickets for which go on sale next Fri.
Still keeping a close eye on Paul McCartney's #OneOnOne tour dates. If he comes back to the UK for that it's either going to be the end of this year or into next as his dates go up to Oct 2016 already. Bon Jovi is a given for next year too, obviously. I only ever took a phone to BJ shows in the past and the cameras on those have come a loooong way over the years I've been to seen them. Will be nice to take my camera next time, even if Richie won't be there!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:23 pm

M.Steiner
October vids, for anyone interested :)
The Four Tops & The Temptations
The Australian Pink Floyd
Think Aussie Floyd are going to be a yearly thing for me now (well, for as long as they keep playing Leeds!). Thought they were amazing last year but they were even better last night. Really great to have songs like Pigs (Three Different Ones), Sorrow & The Fletcher Memorial Home on the setlist this tour (I got a vids for the first two), along with the usual staples; Crazy Diamond, Comfortably Numb, Another Brick In The Wall, Pt. 2 etc which you expect to hear. All played brilliantly.

One more show in a couple of weeks & that's a wrap for this year. Ending it on a high with someone extra special though - Cat Stevens :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:39 pm

Whizbang
Having watched the two sets of concerts, I have to say that the Temptations and the Four Tops concert was the better of the two. I have a hard time getting into cover bands and while I know that Australian Pink Floyd is big, I feel like they lack that something that would make the concert enjoyable for me. Now, The Temptations and the Four Tops....THAT was some magic right there. Gorgeous music performed by those guys. :thumb:
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:21 pm

M.Steiner
Oh, I'm with you with cover bands. Aussie Floyd have pretty much been the only exception for me and whilst I did manage to get some good videos from the last show I was at, they still don't really compare to being there in person. The Four Tops and The Temptations were fantastic though, definitely :thumb:

Did you have a think about getting tickets to see Roger Waters next year btw? :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:57 pm

M.Steiner
My last videos for this year:
Yusuf / Cat Stevens
Not that I haven't loved every other gig I've been to this year, I mean, we started with sold out tickets to Adele ffs lol. Getting to see Yusuf (Cat Stevens) was particularly special and (like Paul McCartney was last year) will be one I'll always remember. My show of the year :)
(#2 would be Coldplay & #3 is a toss-up between Bruce & Adele)

Not sure what next years gig lineup is going to look like, but it's going to be hard to top this years lol.

Some artists I've been looking out for though:
  • Bon Jovi - Tickets for the first (US) leg of their 'This House Is Not For Sale' tour are already on sale so just waiting for EU dates to be announced now. I don't think they'll be playing as many shows over here this tour, and maybe in arenas rather than stadiums like previous years, but Bon Jovi will be a must. Been to see them on 5 tours already and they're one of the best live bands around.
  • Paul McCartney - He played a string of EU dates on his 'One on One' tour this spring/summer but annoyingly didn't include the UK. Hoping he remembers us next year. Need to see him at least once more so I can actually believe I've seen him. Last years show is still kinda surreal for me haha.
  • Aerosmith - They just announced EU dates yesterday which included a single UK date; Donington Park (Download Festival). Pretty <censored> poor for their farewell tour, but I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that they add some arena/stadium gigs up & down the country... Won't get my hopes up but it'd be nice if they did.
  • Barry Gibb - Never got to see the Bee Gees & sadly never will now.. but he's one of my 'must see' artists and someone who will very likely end up joining that list with Cat Stevens & Paul McCartney if I do get to see him. He's already announced some AU/NZ dates for his 'In The Now' tour next year so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some UK dates. Manchester arena is highly likely I think, but hoping he plays Leeds too.
  • Roger Waters - He announced a North American tour last month so hoping a EU leg is announced in the near future, though dates for this may end up being 2018 given the dates he's already playing in the US. Being able to see Roger Waters (and David Gilmour - who my brother was lucky enough to see this year) is the nearest anyone is ever going to get to hearing Pink Floyd's music live now, so unless you're happy with cover bands (and Aussie Floyd are fantastic) or you were lucky enough to see the real thing back in the day and are happy never to hear their music live again, these two are the next best thing and I'd love to see them. I just hope Waters doesn't set up a London residency like Gilmour did, rather than spreading some love around the UK. Fingers crossed!
    - Phil Collins was on this list too but (like Gilmour did) he's doing a residency at the Royal Albert Hall. Tickets sold out in seconds anyway though lol. Shame.
Anyone know of any other artists who may be touring next year and worth keeping a lookout for? Anyone you're planning to see? :)

Hope you enjoyed the vids! :thumb:

Return to “General Discussions”