Performance & AA tweaks

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

Performance & AA tweaks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Padishar
Due to having fun tweaking the .ini files with Skyrim,
I figured I would see what type of helpful performance/graphics tweaks I could find out on the net.
Here is what I have gleaned so far:

1. XP SP3 Compatibility Mode
XP mode is recommended, due to Bioware originally making the game for XP and then retrofitted it for Vista/7.

Compatibility Mode - Right click on the SWTOR icon either on your desktop or in Start Menu program files, then select Properties.
In the window that appears, select the Compatibility tab. Under Compatibility Mode,
check "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" and then click OK

2. Scaling – Display Override
Supposedly this setting can help tremendously if you are using an Nvidia card and are playing the game at a lower resolution than your monitors native resolution. I have not personally done this, as I currently use native rez and a ATI 6870HD card.

NVidia - In the NVdia Control Panel, select Adjust Desktop Size and Position, on the Right under the Scaling tab,
change Select scaling mode to No scaling. Then change Perform scaling on to Display.
Below this, check Override the scaling mode set by games and programs.

3. Force Antialiasing
For some hidden stability reason, Bioware turned off adjusting AA & Distance Rendering by default in SWTOR.
Because of this, turning it back on is done so at your own risk.

*Update* Zephir posted that AA patch is on the test server, soon to be released :cool:

Option 1: ATI (I currently use this)-
Open Catalyst Control Center > On the left menu, select Gaming > under 3D Applications, UNcheck "Use Application Settings" > adjust the slider to the desired level of AA (ie. 4X, 8X, etc.). Scroll down > adjust the AA mode slider between Performance and Quality, or leave it at balanced (mattering on what your card can handle).

Option 2: ATI & NVIDIA -
Edit .ini file at C:\Users \ (your user name) \ AppData > Local \ swtor \ swtor \ settings > Right click on client_settings.ini and select edit* > Locate [Renderer] and add the line AntiAliasingLevel = 4
> Save and Close
You may enter whatever level of AA you desire instead of 4 of course (ie. 2, 4, 8, 16)
* Make sure to make a backup copy first of client_settings.ini before making changes

BTW, I did not mention how to adjust Distance Rendering, nor a number of other .ini tweaks found that improve the game visually... yet.
Going to wait on the game to stabilize/mature a lil first.
Also, I personally use option 1 to force AA and havn't seen any instabilities issues at this time.

Re: Performance & AA tweaks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:57 pm

M.Steiner
Padishar wrote:Option 2: ATI & NVIDIA -
Edit .ini file at C:\Users \ (your user name) \ AppData > Local \ swtor \ swtor \ settings > Right click on client_settings.ini and select edit* > Locate [Renderer] and add the line AntiAliasingLevel = 4
> Save and Close
You may enter whatever level of AA you desire instead of 4 of course (ie. 2, 4, 8, 16)
* Make sure to make a backup copy first of client_settings.ini before making changes
Lucky enough I have a ATI card too so I can override the client with CCC, if you're an NV user I would recommend against the above though. Bioware are supposed to be enabling AA at some point anyway (they said launch or just after iirc) so I'd wait for that tbh. - By all means try it yourself if you want but I tried forcing it through the ini like this both in beta and release and whilst it DOES work it also triggers some graphical glitches like NPC's who are talking to you on the holocommunicator become invisible. Unless things have changed that is. :)

Will give #1 a try and see if I see any noticeable differences. Cheers Pad :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:12 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Oooo, AA. I may give this a try when I get a chance and see how it looks.

If it's plagued by the bugs MS notes, then I might revert it again, but I suppose it does no harm to try!

Thanks Pad :thumb:
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:54 am

Zephir
Some good news from Bioware :)

Now on the public test server Game Update 1.1
Note: The Public Test Server patch notes will be provided in English. The final release notes will be provided in English, French, and German when the content is moved to live servers.

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Game Update 1.1

General

Anti-aliasing is now available and can be enabled in the preferences menu.
Plus much more goodness

Zeph
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:31 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Haha. What bad timing! Guess there's no need for the AA tweak then if full integration is already being tested.

Still might play with it a little today though just to see what happens :D
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Padishar
Awesome news Zeph :cool:
I rem in the Beta the devs stating they would bring AA back, but didnt have an eta.

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”