Skills Usage

For the glory of the Sith Empire! Death to the Republic!

Moderators: Global Moderators, TOR Moderators

Skills Usage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:19 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Myself and MS had a nice long chat tonight about the usage of skills, after I revealed to him that there were a pile of skills at my trainer I hadn't picked up yet and was not planning to do so since they didn't fit into my combat strategy, leaving them feeling unnecessary. Needless to say he was somewhat taken aback by this revelation ;)

The conversation did leave me curious though as to what everyone else is doing regarding skills. Are you just buying them all and using a select few, buying them all and using them all, or being picky with what you buy? I strongly expect I'm in the far extreme over the issue, but I do wonder whether there's any 'in-between' myself and MS.

Regarding myself, I have 12 slots on my two bars filled (not counting Speeder, Run, and Warp skills, etc) but I really only use 6 of those slots. The others are there only to be used in dire emergencies.

Yes, yes. It's that bad ;)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Skills Usage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:16 am

Whizbang
I purchase all my skills as there is/will be a time and place where they will be utilized and valued. I've never found myself with a skill where I'm wondering just why I have it. Some skills I have might have less of importance in solo play but find use when grouped, some in PvP, etc. There have been very few games, if any at all, where I've ignored skills as I didn't use them.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:41 am

SSX-Andy
I buy all. Have some I use more often, but keep all at hand just in case.

There tend to be some special circumstances where those seldom used abilities have a use.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Ash
I have purchased all skills as they become available,
as I tend to use different skill combinations depending upon mobs make up,
these are normally bound to specific keys,
the more obscure keys are then quickslot/ mouse click ie target taunts/ group abilities.

:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:28 pm

M.Steiner
Won't repeat everything but; There are a main set of combat abilities I use all the time, not including all of my different heals, but I did train all of my skills to 50 and use every single one of them. Some more than others ofc, some may work better in certain situations than in others and a couple are kept for emergency like cloaking screen (exits combat and puts me back in stealth) but each has its purpose (sometimes multiple) and then there's the different cooldowns, some are instant and cost no energy, some may grant me TA etc.
So yeah, I know I wouldn't be able to play my agent as efficiently if I didn't take full advantage & utilise everything I have available. From a solo pve standpoint I know I would struggle taking on some high level elites if I didn't have access to a lot of those skills because I'd have limited options available to me or they'd take me longer to kill. Group content I would have less abilities available than I should have which would likely make the content harder for the rest of my party too. - Skills like sleep dart, whilst I use this in both solo pve and pvp too something like this is even more vital in group content when you're taking on several elites. Or flash bang which will take that mob out of play for 8 seconds and give me chance to heal up. If I had never bought some of these..
Then there's pvp. Whether that's in a warzone or in the gameworld if I only had a limited amount of abilities going up against another agent in Hutball or a smuggler or whatever they would have the advantage on me from the get go.

The good thing about MMOs like this is that they don't give you too many new abilities at the same time, excluding higher ranks of existing that is. So when you get given something new to use you get time to find ways of getting the most out of that particular skill and seeing the different situations you can use it in where it may have a different effect. Like my corrosive dart. It's a DoT which I use it all the time on mobs to tick away whilst my companion works it down and I either keep her up or do some dps too or both. When grouped I can help do a bit of damage on the side whilst I'm focusing on healing as every little helps and in pvp I can use it as a finisher for someone trying to run away at low health or If I spot an enemy stealthed nearby me I can quickly fire the dart at him and as soon as that DoT starts ticking he's brought out of stealth and into combat. Also if an enemy is trying to capture our turret when I'm busy trying to keep my team alive rather than go off and start attacking him myself or have my team break off I can simply use the dart on him. Because it deals damage over time every time he tries to capture that point whilst the DoT is still on him it'll interrupt his action. So many uses for just that 1 ability.
annnd then when I get another new skill to use I can start finding effective ways of using that one then too.

Whatever works best for you at the end of the day I suppose mate but I did find it very strange and do think you'll be better off with everything your trainer has available for you :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:23 am

Chaos
I buy them all. Some i use all the time, some i use some of the time, some i don't use very much. It depends on the situation. But every skill i have gets used at some time or another.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:00 pm

Lee
theres still a few i havent picked up (odd levels and needless skils)... i already have icons on two and a half bars.. to many skills to distinguish as many icons look the same...

there is litterally a handful that are reused, some are situational, and a few i probably have only ever used by mistake...
maybe this is partly down to needing to learn a little more about my little glow stick wielder.. or maybe down to the rage mechanic. -Two to build it and tons to use it in a variety of ways that may or may not be useful depending on the hole i have dug for myself.

i'm not suprised anny. i will probably still buy them when i have more money than i can use... but they will join the others on the abilities list that i havent added to action bars
Eeks.

Return to “Star Wars: The Old Republic”